Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantoms and home cinema
(27-Oct-2015, 06:12)AdamInHiltonHead Wrote: Hi All -

I've had my 2 Silver Phantoms, Dialogue and Remote for about a month.  The first couple of weeks were very frustrating.  Now I'm much happier.  Let me share what helped me - then I need some advice:
  • Provider sends hi-speed Internet to their box in our homes.  Then by default the provider's device is configured for DHCP with one or more LAN Ports; and most often a 2.4GHz or higher Wireless Network.  Some of us purchase a Static IP or a small block - but I'm trying to keep this simple.
  • Then some of us choose to DUMMY out the provider box (Bridge Mode) - I personally disable their Routing and I have disabled the box's ability to transmit a Network (SSID).  ** I use my own Smart Router and 24 Port Switch.  I actually have (4) Long Range Wireless Access Points (WAPs) in my home; they were necessary to have strong coverage in a challenging environment.
  • But this is the important part.   
  • This is what has helped me - and it meant to follow Devialet's recommendations.  
  • Until I actually did these simple steps - My Phantoms weren't happy...... Bear in mind for simplicity - I'm referring to hi-resolution streaming (I use Tidal Hi-Fi)/Lossless.
  • Pick your 'Primary' Room for your 1st pair of Phantoms (like most I only have my 1st set).  Use a existing Portal - such as 10base-T or run a Physical LAN Cable to that room.  You can use PLC Connector (about $40 and up) Starter Kit if you need to use the electrical wires in your home to place the receiving RJ45 Port in your 'Primary' Phantom Room. **Once its set up properly - yes they can be moved to another area/room/switch.
  • From the RJ45 Port in the primary room - use a LAN Cable to connect to an Apple Router (I used the least expensive Express - about $100 USD - and it has a mini Toslink).  It is very helpful to create a private (secondary or PRIVATE) Network because Devialet explains that our existing Network prioritizes connections to TVs and other devices higher then the music network we are creating for our Phantoms.  
  • Thus in my primary room - I connected a short Ethernet Cable from the RJ45 Port to my Apple Express Router.  We must configure it for DHCP and NAT - this creates a small private (secondary in my case) Network for our Dialogue/Phantoms.  This makes them much more stable for highest quality, not dropping out, etc. etc.  They don't have to compete with the TVs, Computers, WiFi Thermostats, IP Cams, even our friends/family Phones/Tablets/Computers.  
  • Then connect a short Ethernet Cable (use PLC Adapters if necessary - but also in the 'Primary' Room) to connect from the Apple Airport to the Dialogue.  
  • ** Here is a part that was VERY NEW to me.  Devialet wants us to use Wi-Fi (i.e. from Dialogue to Phantoms - **yes with an Apple Extreme you can go Ethernet to them) - but they want us to use Wi-Fi - PLUS PLC (or data over AC Wires) at the SAME TiME.  Like many of you my World had always been LAN or Wireless - I always used a LAN Connection (such as work or desktop computer) because it was the fastest and most stable.  We use WiFi or wireless because its convenient and mobile in our homes.  But our Phantoms and Dialogue need us to use Wi-Fi - such as Dialogue to Phantoms (from Tidal Streaming in my case - yes this can be different from local sources/folders/media -etc) but our Phantoms have their PLC Adapters built in!!!  Really - YES!  But we do need to use a PLC Adapter (inexpensive) with the Dialogue where it plugs into the wall - or AC Outlet).  This is why it is best to use the Airport Router to create a private network - in summary - the following ->
  • Apple Airpot's Private Network in our Primary Phatoms's Room - plus using a PLC Adapter on the Dialogue - enables what Devialet referred to as most 'robust' connection.  In this setup the Dialogue and Phantoms don't have to manage priority with other devices in our homes - they are the only pieces on our private network and the Wi-Fi is strengthened by the built-in PLC Adapters (Phantoms using AC Outlet for alternative/complementary data transfer) to our Dialogue that can also use the 2nd Route via AC by us adding a PLC Adapter to it.  I know this is a little technical but it is pretty simple once you get it.  I only spent about $150 for the Airport Express and the PLC Adapter Starter Kit.
  • The result is very simple.  When it's time to listen to music (open Spark) on my Phantoms - I make sure that I join the new Private Network from my iPhone 6s or Macbook Pro - I had fun naming mine - 'Adam's Hi-Resolution 5GHz Music'.  Coincidentally the $100 Airport gave me the ability to use 5GHz for my private network vs. the hi-power (2.4GHz is always busier but travels further through walls) for the Phantom System.  Sorry for the long intro - but here is the result:
  • Join Private Phantom WiFi Network from the Device in which I am selecting music (yes you can access via a fixed or wired device too).  Then every time that I connect to Spark - it has been instant.  Plus the private network for my Phantoms - provides no delays potentially caused by other devices (more technical people understand IRQ and DMAs for example).  Further - I found that I no longer have drop outs at higher volumes - the Phantoms ability to communicate to the Dialogue (and Internet for Tidal in this case) is much stronger now that my setup is using WiFi and PLC communication at the same time!
  • I upgraded to Firmware 1.4.1 - and I am so thrilled with Tidal Hi-Fi, Devialet, Spark and my Phantoms!  Hooray - they are rock solid, powerful, clean and my new favorite toy!
For anyone that read that and didn't need it - sorry!  But for me that info was the key to finally get a solid, no drop outs, instant on and ready - awesome Phantom Sound and Charisma that I dreamed of!

I will be happy to help further - just let me know! I'd be happy to send (or post) a simple diagram of the proper setup if anyone asks.  Now I have a question.  I have computer experience but I am a new Phantom and newbie Audiophile.  I do have an awesome 2-channel vintage system with an original Conrad Johnson Premier One Power Amp.  I also collect headphones and my Deckard Amp and Audeze LCD-X's are my favorite setup.  But up until this point in my music life - I've never used Toslink or Optical Audio much.  Even my hi-end Audeze setups are still using a hi end USB Audio Transfer from source to DAP/AMP. 

When I went to hook up my bedroom TV to my Phantoms - I found it odd that the Devialet White Paper refers to connecting the source to one of the Phantoms (Silver in my case) rather then from the Source to the Dialogue.  But I did connect the Optical Out from the One Connect Box on my Samsung 4k TV to the Phantom and it worked.  I have not tried the mini Toslink via Apple Device to Phantom - as I do not want to be tethered from either my iPhone or Macbook.  Ultimately - I didn't get the delay - that I'm reading about here in the Forums until tonight - the 2nd night I had the Toslink from TV to Phantom Setup.  Thus I disconnected it - I would not sit through that!  Further - I read somewhere that our Dialogue USB Port is not active yet.  But my Standard Optical (Toslink) Cable had a 'boot' just below that actual head that stopped my Cable from seating itself into the Dialogue.  For any of you iPhone users - if you've ever had a Lifeproof Case and realized that only Apple Brand (now a few IXCCs that I've found) will plug into the lighting Port with the Lifeproof Case on).  

Was my problem that I just had a cable that was too fat?  Will most Optical Cables plus into the Dialogue typically?

Or does this really not matter - did the Devialet White Paper show me to connect the Toslink from the Source to a Phantom on purpose?  Are we not able to connect from our sources directly into the Dialogue?    Please help!

By the way - I love my Silver Phantoms - I literally have to bypass a couple of Glass Break Sensors (sensors that literally listen for a burglar breaking the windows) in my bedroom - even when the alarm isn't armed - when I listen to my Phantoms up loud!  But I love Bass - so this evening - I started trying to use an Optical Audio Splitter and a Russound X1-TX8 Transmitter (and RX-2 Receiver - because I don't want to run a cable to my subwoofer, I want a wireless link that I can lock onto a desired frequency (away from my other network/s) and the Russound permits me to pass from Optical Out via a super stable platform to a receiver that will pass analog back to my Sub) to add my Revel Premium Subwoofer into my 2 channel Phantom/Dialogue setup when I'm streaming Tidal.  I'm using the simple optical splitter because I am NOT using any other equipment that I don't need and don't want to interfere with the great sound hi-resolution Tidal and my Phantoms are giving me.  I bring this up because I'm sure some of you are ahead of me in trying to configure your Phantoms with media and I want to be able to add more Bass to my Phantoms without turning them up super loud.  Devialet would probably cringe at the idea of me adding 'extra bass' to a natural sound environment - but - it is what it is!  And trust me the Revel isn't exactly junking up the place - inserting just a little extra bass from arguably one of the best subwoofers in the World isn't too sloppy!  

Please share your thoughts about connecting Digital/Optical/Toslink Source to the Phantom - or whether or not we 'actually can' connect to the Dialogue itself?  Please tell me if my Optical Cable didn't seat into my Dialogue because I just had an oversized shielding/boot to my Toslink Cable?  I want to understand this!
What do you recommend for optical splitter to optical left and optical right?  I have found no such splitter on the market (everything just duplicates L/R to two cables).  I can make a splitter by going analog and back to digital, but there is a resulting loss of fidelity.  I would LOVE to find an optical spitter that separates left onto one output optical cable and right onto another, all in the digital domain.
https://devialetchat.com/attachment.php?aid=1217

see link for Devialet 5.1 "kluge" template
Levinson 33 amps, Wilson Grand Slamm S3's, Levinson 32 ref pre and ad/da, Basis Ovation and Rega 40 with JSpall custom tone arms, Lyra, Ortofon & Grado cartridges, Marantz AV 8801, PSAudio phono pre, Devialet Dialog w  5 Gold Phantoms, Wilson powered subwoofer, Watch center, Wilson surrounds, Kaleidescape Movie server, Crestron AV controller and switch, 120 MBS docsis3 modem, 20 MBS xdsl modem, Peplink balance 20 router, Ruckus 802.11ac Wave 2 WAPS plus multi Pakedge WAPs, 48 port POE gigabit switch, NetGear 8TB NAS, Amazon Fire,ROKU and Apple TV gen 4, 12 core Mac Pro, Macbook Air Retina, 65" and 50" Runco TV's. Blue sound node 2, OPPO BDP105D, DSpeaker AntiMode 2.0, Octava HDMI/Optical switch, cabling Nordost for analog, Cardas and wireworld for digital/optical.
I'm using it with my Samsung smart TV with my Phantom Gold. Luckily my TV has a audio offset function that can compensate the delay. With the proper settings, I have no delay in the audio and my Phantom is working perfectly as a home cinema speaker!
(23-Jun-2017, 23:11)jsfresh Wrote: I'm using it with my Samsung smart TV with my Phantom Gold. Luckily my TV has a audio offset function that can compensate the delay. With the proper settings, I have no delay in the audio and my Phantom is working perfectly as a home cinema speaker!

Which Samsung model do you have? And what are the exact settings? Can you set a negative offset for the sound? Thanks!
Personally I've never had any delay through Optical from any output. TV's, laptops, game consoles. Never had delay. But I have always had my Phantom's wired with Ethernet, no clue how that would make a difference but it could.
Devialet Phantom (White)
(23-Jun-2017, 23:11)jsfresh Wrote: I'm using it with my Samsung smart TV with my Phantom Gold. Luckily my TV has a audio offset function that can compensate the delay. With the proper settings, I have no delay in the audio and my Phantom is working perfectly as a home cinema speaker!
Thank you for the tip, it made me search for an audio delay setting on my LG smart TV, and I finally found it in sound/advanced parameters. The default was 40 (ms I suppose) .  I set it to zero and now the sound from the phantoms is about sync with the video. I wish I would have thought about it earlier. Now I can watch all those clips and live concerts on youtube with my smart TV with the glorious sound of the phantoms without this annoying audio delay. Smile
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac

By me the same and a have a Samsung 55f9000