Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom in small room....
Anyone use the Phantom in a small room - say, between 1000 and 1400 cubic feet? Does the bass become too overpowering? 

How's the soundstage width/height/depth? In a small room, I like speakers that gives a large soundstage....

I figure there's enough Phantoms out there that some may be set up in a small room stereo setup..Smile

Thanks,
MtnGuy
Well I have a single phantom (not silver) in an approx 2250 cubic ft room and when I get to 3/4 max volume the bass shakes the floor (it's a suspended wooden floor) and it's really to loud to sit in the room and listen comfortably. However one of the greatest aspects of the phantom to my ears is that you don't need to play it loud to get very satisfying results across the frequency range. I am so impressed that in going to get a second to hear it in stereo which I imagine can only be even more impressive!
They sound like a large speaker, and you have to treat them almost as such. They need a fair amount of space around them, but their small size and circular shape makes them a little more room friendly. My living/listening room is 5.5 x 4.5m.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
My room is 5 x 15 x 4 meters high, I cannot go comfortably over 75, normal loud is 50-60!
My room is fairly small. 5M*3*3.

I have found some recordings are really loud, even at just 20.

Other types like classical recordings, will create an impressive wall of sound at about 50 and VERY, VERY VERY,LOUD at 60/65.

Generally it depends on the recording, but for the most of the time 15-30 is MORE than adequate for most music/recordings.

Remember even when it is not playing loud, you don' miss out on bass or anything else. Bizarre, but true.
My concern with this question is that at least two different owners have said that Phantoms function like a large speaker in a room though they are physically small. My guess is that this is due to its prodigious bass capacity.  
That's why I'm wondering about how Phantoms function in small rooms.  The seem to be an ideal solution for a small room in limited space and yet wanting full range speakers.  And then they can scale to larger rooms when one moves them to the living room. That they are so small makes it easy to move and set up.
MtnGuy
Also to make things complicated will the silver phantoms sound better all round and an even better grip of the bass making it more suited for smaller rooms because of a bigger powered amp I wonder?
Isn't it a matter of "cannae break the laws of physics, Jim!". If you try to accommodate deep bass in any small room, the longest wavelengths simply don't fit, and bad things happen. The only reason that subwoofers work is because they are lowpass-limited and can be placed close to the corner. Full range speakers like the Phantoms cannot be placed in the corners.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
One of my biggest concerns in regards to Phantoms is the fact they go to 20Hz. I am affraid they will sound very boomy in a 6x4m room.
...maybe Spark could come with a room configurator during the setup i.e. default or cut off bass at certain frequency based on the room dimensions.
Does this make sense?