Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
120 v 200
Hello all. I have been listening to a little  UnitiQute2 for the last 2 years while putting together (very patiently) my new system. I currently have a pair of ART Alnico8 speakers, and a Systemdek 3D Signature/Audio Origami 12" PU7 tone arm. I do not find the Naim route very appealing, and have been  keen to listen to a Devialet since reading about them sometime ago.

Due to my speakers being fairly efficient, and the room not large (and having limited funds) I am looking at a 120. From speaking to my local dealer this morning, he only has a 200 to demo, which is in my lounge playing through my speakers, as I type this message. 

From switch on, I wasn't impressed at all, and in my mind was working out other alternatives! Using a Mac Mini via optical, there was a nasty metallic echo in the high frequencies, the bass was wooden with limited depth. In the last hour I have changed the optical cable with a USB, and made small adjustments with the tone controls, yeah I know, sacre bleu!!

Well, if you haven't lost the will to live, and are still reading, things are now sounding fairly promising. The annoying metallic echo seems to have disappeared with the switch to USB, there is some liveliness back to the music, and the bass is tuneful. However, my question is this, is there a huge difference in sound quality between a 120 and 200? I don't wish to, and can't stretch to a 200 at present, and feel completely happy with an entry level 120. Could anyone with experience of both please give me some feedback. Many thanks.
As far as I know, they should be identically or very similar sonically. The big difference of course being ability to drive your speakers so this is very much speaker-dependent. You could cut the power output in the configuration (using the Configurator tool on devialet.com website to generate the config file) on the 200 to 120W which should give a good indication of what a 120 will sound like with your speakers.
Conversely, assuming you are using digital inputs, if you don't push the volume beyond -2dB on the 200, this should be very indicative of what the 120 will be. I'm having myself a 120 powering 88dB SPL efficiency speakers in a 350 sq feet room and no not feel any lack of power.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Hello Justin,

There may be a thread about this comparison already, but I'm not certain of that. It hasn't popped up in a while.

But I had a Nait 3 & CD3.5 for years, then went to a UnitiQute, which I had for about 3 years. I was very close to getting a SuperUniti, and then I happened across the Devialet. For me, the switch to the Devialet 120 has been amazing. I had the entry level Naim, but to me, the entry level Devialet is overall a better musical product.

When my D120 was new, I too felt it was a bit harsh and thin on the top. Another owner (on the forum) and I agreed it seemed a bit metallic. After about 50 or 60 hours the harshness disappeared. It has continued to improve slightly since then. I bought mine in mid Feb this year.

Just a bit on the Naim vs Devialet sound; The naim has an urgency and drive that I love and it is 'emotive' in some way. The Devialet, however, has clarity and bass control and extension that the Naim cannot match. The Naim seems to me to be a bit 'dark', and the highs somehow toned down, with a bit of extra mid-bass, possibly? With the Devialet, the really subtle changes in pitch and volume and tonal colour come through; the dear old UQ simply could not get these out. In this sense, I feel I hear more of the music with the D120 and so I feel it is a more 'emotional' presentation. And no lack of drive. I'm offering these notes just to give a quick personal impression of the differences between the two products, not to criticize the UQ. I could not give up the ease and clarity and amazing 3D sense of the Dev and go back. Opinions vary, of course.

I think the D120 would be more than enough. I'm using a variety of speakers from ProAc Tablettes to Neat Mystique 2's and the 120 has plenty of capability. My dealer told me I did not need the 200 unless I wanted more inputs, as the sonic quality is the same. He also felt that USB was the ideal connection. Note that many others feel the 200 is the ideal item. But more power does not seem needed in your case. BTW I stream from my iMac wirelessly to the router, then ethernet to an Airport Express then optical to the Dev. At 16 bit, I am quite satisfied. Occasionally I use AIR to put my few 24 bit files on, and it is better again.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
You may want to consider the number of inputs and configuration possibilities for each model. The 200 has the advantage there which may or may not be important to you.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Wow, just picked up my iPad from having just vacuumed the house (promised my wife it will be done by the time she gets in from work) and I have 3 minutes before she gets in from work!! I wondered to myself if anyone has had a chance to reply, didn't expect that number of, and helpfulness of replies. Thanks all so much for taking the trouble. I had a SuperUniti, but to my ears the little Qute2 is better. I am noticing and enjoying the naturalness of the presentation, vocals more airy with a less forced delivery.

Have got till next Friday to decide, but things getting better with the sound. Will keep you posted.

Thanks
Justin,
Good for you for getting the vacuuming done. Esp with some purchases in the near future. This is a very good forum, and you will get good advice and honest, considered responses.

Interesting that you preferred the UQ to the SU. There are some on the Naim forum that feel the same way. I was thinking of the UQ > SU upgrade to get 'more' of what the UQ offered, but I really do feel happy that I found the Devialet. I bought mine from a small local dealer, and the sales person is someone I've known for about 10 years, and I bought some of my Naim equipment from him at a different shop, way back when. Anyhow, just made for an interesting discovery; I had never heard of Devialet before I walked into the shop last September.

Your brief description suggests that you are getting a picture of the Devialet presentation; please keep us posted on your thoughts. There are quite a few ex-Naim members here and their posts about the change to Devialet, and their reasons for the change, are really good. They certainly helped me as I debated the expenditure.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks again, a bit more information that I should have mentioned, speakers 90 db, lounge 5M x 3M, so quite a small space. I haven't gone over -40 on volume, so quite a bit left. TV (unfortunately Britains Got Talent) sounding epic. Bring back Susan Boyle!!!!!
(09-May-2015, 20:34)Justin9960 Wrote: Thanks again, a bit more information that I should have mentioned, speakers 90 db, lounge 5M x 3M, so quite a small space. I haven't gone over -40 on volume, so quite a bit left. TV (unfortunately Britains Got Talent) sounding epic. Bring back Susan Boyle!!!!!

Britian's Got Talent.... um.... well, this puts a different complexion on things. I'm afraid we're going to have to speak to your dealer and arrange for an immediate return of the Devialet. Sorry, just Forum policy. Nothing personal. Now if you had been listening to old episodes of the Eurovision Song Contest.... just kidding. Really.

My room is about 4m x 6m and I don't think any of my speakers are more than 88 or 89 db efficient (though truly, the numbers don't mean much to me). With some recordings I can have the volume at -40 and with others I'm up to -5 before I'm getting calls from the neighbours. Depends on the music and mood as well. I think that the 120 should be powerful enough for you. There is a thread about the quality of the Devialet at low volumes and you may want to look for that as some owners feel the Dev is weak at lower volumes.

But I will say one other thing; my wife now listens to music much more often than she ever did with the Naim. Strangely, she also listens to it at fairly high volumes; she gets Jordi Savall and his renaissance lute music going at well above mediaeval sound pressure levels. It may also be that now that we're free of the grief we had with the Naim app and UPnP, we can actually get the music going reliably. That also, is a welcome change.

Another member, Womaz, went through a long trial period before buying. His experiences, good and disappointing, may be useful reading. Keep us posted on your listening.

(Note to self; look for Epic Sax Solo)
Damon
Vancouver, Canada
(10-May-2015, 00:54)Damon Wrote: Strangely, she also listens to it at fairly high volumes

This is not that strange at all. Apparently, the perception of too loud has a lot to do with the level of distortion. The lowest you have in your system, the louder you can and tend to play without any fatigue, just enjoying more realistic dynamics. 

Concerning Jordi Savall, I'm listening myself to a lot of baroque music, both live and on my system and found that listening to his recordings around -6 dB was giving me an SPL approximatively equivalent from being 3 to 4 meters away from the players. That can be louder than one imagine, especially trumpets and timbales!
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France