Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting technical info about the 400/800
Hi,

Reading the technical info about the 400 before ordering my 200 slave and found some information that sounds very strange to me as it wasn't announced any other place.
Following can be found on the technical info for 400/800:

"all signals are over-sampled to 384khz via a unique set-up that uses the potential of the DAC "Magic Wire" to its utmost. "

I asked Dev (Thierry) this and got the answer that it is not like this at all and that they would omit asap, more than one month and it is still there.

Anyone knows more about this? And why write something like this?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
I hadn't heard of the "unique Magic Wire DAC" in the questionnaire about brand. It was the only thing on their list I was unaware of.
Perhaps another marketing faux pas like the video they brought out at Munich time which left anybody who knows about hifi shaking their head.

Maybe it -has- been implemented and that is why my update to an 800 has lost all its stereo depth compared to the D-Premier. Hopefully fixed in due course.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(28-Jun-2014, 12:19)f1eng Wrote: I hadn't heard of the "unique Magic Wire DAC" in the questionnaire about brand. It was the only thing on their list I was unaware of.
Perhaps another marketing faux pas like the video they brought out at Munich time which left anybody who knows about hifi shaking their head.

Maybe it -has- been implemented and that is why my update to an 800 has lost all its stereo depth compared to the D-Premier. Hopefully fixed in due course.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your upgraded devices. I noticed that you mentioned something about poorer quality connectors (compared to D-Premier) .. can you elaborate?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(28-Jun-2014, 12:41)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(28-Jun-2014, 12:19)f1eng Wrote: I hadn't heard of the "unique Magic Wire DAC" in the questionnaire about brand. It was the only thing on their list I was unaware of.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your upgraded devices. I noticed that you mentioned something about poorer quality connectors (compared to D-Premier) .. can you elaborate?

Guillaume

Well both my updated amps have SD card slot defects. The first to be updated (now the slave) only reads the card about 1 time in 4, which means when I switch on the slave isn't linked, it just has 250 on the display having started up in default mode. Removing and replacing the card it eventually reads (or has so far), as, it seems, does switching it on and off with the remote 3 or 4 times.
The second unit had the latch mechanism on the SD card fail after a handful of actuations. At least it reads OK but it is a faff to get out now.
The spec of the optical inputs has been downgraded and the connector doesn't seem as positive (this may just be sample variation though).

I have actually given up using them now in frustration and am awaiting Thierry's response regarding returning them for repair.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

The first reference to the DAC technology I'm aware of was in the D-Premier white paper produced for the Munich show in spring 2011. This is what it says about the DAC (and n.b. the use of the word "magic"):

Quote:Patented ultra linear, high-voltage DAC
Moving further upstream, the DAC is the next key block of the chain that sets the music quality. It has been designed in
light of the following observation: processing means altering. At system level, the gain stage is removed and the path of
music is minimized for this reason.
In the DAC, the output current of the highest performance device available (T.I. PCM1792) is directly converted into high
voltage without any processing in between: no operational amplifier, no current mirror. Instead, a fully original very
complex leak-less path is designed to carry the original current of the DAC to the only two ultra high-linearity resistors in
the system. The magic comes from the fact that the guiding elements around this path do not process the music.
Besides, the characteristics of any device is related to its temperature, so if temperature changes, music rendering
changes as well. To make the system thermal distortion-proof, all the parts which build the guiding boundary are
designed to operate at constant power (dual cascode), hence constant temperature.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Hi,

My point was about the over-sampling to 384 kHz! Is it so or will it be an upgrade in near time!?

Another claim mead is this one: "the use of the Devialet 400 in mono-block mode enables the elimination of the current return from the total mass and the further improvement of the performance of the DAC "Magic Wire" and analogue inputs (THD + N 0,00025%). The dual-mode also reduces signal jitter for all digital inputs."

The thing I am curious is the "the elimination of the current return from the total mass"

However this one Thierry explained in a very understandable fashion as this: "Devialet 400 is just sounding better simply by the way the speakers are connected to the Devialet: between the 2 red posts. This means you are in a pure differential mode with no current running on the ground. The amps are more reactive and relaxed"

1 out of two explained!

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Still curious about what Devialet mean by writing this (for the 400 and 800): "all signals are over-sampled to 384khz via a unique set-up that uses the potential of the DAC "Magic Wire" to its utmost on each unit"
Thierry told me to ignore this due to that is not true BUT it is still in the description of the technical benefit by going mono.
Do you have any clue about this?

/Mike
(28-Jun-2014, 13:11)f1eng Wrote:
(28-Jun-2014, 12:41)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Well both my updated amps have SD card slot defects. The first to be updated (now the slave) only reads the card about 1 time in 4, which means when I switch on the slave isn't linked, it just has 250 on the display having started up in default mode. Removing and replacing the card it eventually reads (or has so far), as, it seems, does switching it on and off with the remote 3 or 4 times.
The second unit had the latch mechanism on the SD card fail after a handful of actuations. At least it reads OK but it is a faff to get out now.
The spec of the optical inputs has been downgraded and the connector doesn't seem as positive (this may just be sample variation though).

I have actually given up using them now in frustration and am awaiting Thierry's response regarding returning them for repair.

I've got exactly the same issue with one of my upgraded D1, there is for sure a problem related to the upgrade. I've send the defect one for repair, but it take a long time to repair, much longer than the upgrade of my two D1.
Cheers, Yaduvent
Furniture: USM Acoustic
Audio: Devialet 1000PRO - Mac Mini 2012, I7, Uptone DC conversion/Linear fan controle - Internal SSD - CD/BR LaCie BDXL (rip) - USB Regen - Uptone JS-2 Linear power supply - HD LaCie Thunderbolt
Power: Isotek Aquarius - Vovox power cable
Loudspeakers: Marten Django XL - Vovox Textura LS