Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
400 or 800 in bi-amping configuration
Has anybody ever tried to use 2 Devialets for a bi-amping configuration ? So one Devialet in stereo mode for the bass and the other one for the higs/mids ? 
Could this be a better configuration as mono ? Or is mono better because of the better technical specs (lower distortion, higer power) ?
(11-May-2015, 11:19)Vivialet Wrote: Has anybody ever tried to use 2 Devialets for a bi-amping configuration ? So one Devialet in stereo mode for the bass and the other one for the higs/mids ? 
Could this be a better configuration as mono ? Or is mono better because of the better technical specs (lower distortion, higer power) ?

Did not try and could not as my Montis has powered subs.

I guess this will be highly dependent on the speaker design and whether it's bi-amping implementation is so good to compensate what will be lost due to moving from dual mono configuration to stereo configuration.

Edit:

But hey I take that back! How will you get two separate D200 stereo units to play in sync?!

Unless maybe there is a special configuring for that of which I'm not aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I've wondered the same thing, but in a different method. I wondered whether it would be possible to use the current 400 setup, but actually use all 4 taps (all 8 taps engaged, but only stereo sound). It would be okay if I got 200wpc (well, really it would be 100 watts per "channel", if a channel is just a black/red speaker output) instead of 400wpc.
Devialet 400 / Von Gaylord Return Of The Legend + VG-1 Plus / Well Tempered Simplex w/ Dynavector 20x2L
I did discuss this with a Devialet rep at a dealer event once. Apparently the dual mono set up significantly reduces distortion, so very likely, dual mono will sound better than bi-amping.

You could of course bi-amp with two dual mono set ups. This would be the ultimate (tri-amping excepted), very expensive, and configurator / firmware updates would take a while......

I know from my own experience that the dual mono does sound better, to me almost like it has a higher-res DAC. The DAC performance is unchanged, so I guess the improvement that I hear is the gain from the distortion reduction, this gain would be lost in a bi-amp set up.
(11-May-2015, 16:39)amabrok Wrote:
(11-May-2015, 11:19)Vivialet Wrote: Has anybody ever tried to use 2 Devialets for a bi-amping configuration ? So one Devialet in stereo mode for the bass and the other one for the higs/mids ? 

Did not try and could not as my Montis has powered subs.

I guess this will be highly dependent on the speaker design and whether it's bi-amping implementation is so good to compensate what will be lost due to moving from dual mono configuration to stereo configuration.

Edit:

But hey I take that back! How will you get two separate D200 stereo units to play in sync?!

Unless maybe there is a special configuring for that of which I'm not aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use pre-outs on one D250 to feed the other? The digital out should work as well... (digital in to the second one)
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
just found that you can select a 400 or 800 and then switch both amps to stereo mode. So that should do it. I will try this in the next time, I only need to have other LS cables.
if you need to go over 2 amps in the configurator cant you get devialet to design the proper configuration and send it to you?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)

That was my first thought when I bought my second D-Premier. The Devialet engineer I know told me the mono sounded better than bi-wiring, so I didn't try it...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire