Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mains cables and filters do we need expensive ones?
Thought I would start a new thread on this controversial but interesting subject, as there a lot of differing opinion out there on how to connect CD transports and the Devs to the mains.

It would be a great help to me, and I suspect others new to this if you guys 'in the know' so-to-speak could share your opinions & experiences to get the best out of our kit! Those that have already posted on this subject might consider copying any posts into this thread to kick it off?

Any takers?

Smile
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
Here is my theory FWIW

Good quality mains cables are a big improvement to any audio system. Less noise, more details and surprisingly bigger sound stage!

Filters on the other hand need to be taken with a bit of caution! Done wrong and they will significantly impact dynamics in a negative way with loss of details and collapsed sound stage.

In theory, power generators are the best way but in practice they are in short supply with very limited options and prone to problems especially with hungry systems.

A safe middle ground would be power conditioners. Done right, particularly those with high current outlets, and you get the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Second that!

My best recommendation as said before on this forum is a dedicated mains (one or more) cable and spur. Most performance per invested money. Then look at mains cables and then the filter (if you experience 'dirt' on your mains).

Have look at Ansuz mains cables, the really work nice as the have a interesting theory about earthing the system which include their 'heart' the mains filter box. In basic they let the earth cable have the biggest AWG ie lowest impedance plus they configure live and zero phase in a canceling order phase as I just by luck had a home demo cable were the cover had come lose and I could see how the configured the conductors. These cables does not look super business but they perform. You will pay for the thinking behind these cables not so much the material, my 5 c's.
I will soon listen to their mains cables again and specially the filter box which really made a difference however best with their own mains cables, I guess their earthing theory is part of that.

'Nuff of this black magic, go and try!

Cheers/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(12-May-2015, 13:31)teddlesdee Wrote: Thought I would start a new thread on this controversial but interesting subject, as there a lot of differing opinion out there on how to connect CD transports and the Devs to the mains.

It would be a great help to me, and I suspect others new to this if you guys 'in the know' so-to-speak could share your opinions & experiences to get the best out of our kit! Those that have already posted on this subject might consider copying any posts into this thread to kick it off?

Any takers?

Smile

There is no technically sound mechanism by which a properly engineered piece of equipment, connected to a properly installed mains system could be influenced by the mains chord AFAIK.

Having written that, plenty of hifi enthusiasts are convinced that they make a difference.

My conclusion is either expectation bias, badly engineered equipment or something wrong with the mains is the cause of their opinion.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

If you have high or low AC voltage, a power conditioner isn't going to help.

I agree with f1eng on power cables.

Good thread here:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/power-con...ioner.html
...which really highlights my (and I suspect many others) dilemma! There are sooooo many variables. Given you have chosen what is hopefully a well made and complimentary set of components for your system, it seems almost 'Black Art' to many of us as to what to do about mains.

It seems to me that decisions on this tend to fall into four main camps -

On the one hand some will just go for the very best they can afford based on forum or media reviews, and are likely not to really understand (or maybe care) if the choice is the optimum or the best for their particular combination and mains status.

Another set of people will exclusively follow the advice of their component suppliers opinion (or need to make more profit - (Cynical, I know!))

The the third set, will spend what seems to me, an inordinate amount of time trying lots of different variations before settling on a combination that sounds to them to be the pinnacle of what is on offer, but this requires a certain amount of dedication, and some understanding of the theory involved.

And lastly the forth, will just go with what is 'in-the-box'.

I suppose it all boils down to -'Whatever floats your Boat!'    Confused Big Grin
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I have to admit to being a bit of a cynic when it comes to mains cables. If you consider the average uk home electrical supply first goes through a fuse then the meter followed by the distribution board/fusebox and then fed to the wall sockets by 2.5mm solid twin and earth, by using a 1 or 2 metre cable costing many times the amount spent on the internal wiring will suddenly improve the quality of the supply is for me unproven. I fell into the trap of installing a spur using 12mm quality cable and a good quality unswitched socket and Naim Powerlines. I did'nt hear any improvement and when I went from Naim to Devialet I swapped between the Naim Powerlines and the stock Devialet mains cable and again heard no discernable difference. Ok I am getting on a bit and my hearing isn't what it was but my son who is in the professional sound business said there was no improvement worth worrying about.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(12-May-2015, 19:13)f1eng Wrote:
(12-May-2015, 13:31)teddlesdee Wrote: Thought I would start a new thread on this controversial but interesting subject, as there a lot of differing opinion out there on how to connect CD transports and the Devs to the mains.

Any takers?

Smile

There is no technically sound mechanism by which a properly engineered piece of equipment, connected to a properly installed mains system could be influenced by the mains chord AFAIK.

Having written that, plenty of hifi enthusiasts are convinced that they make a difference.

My conclusion is either expectation bias, badly engineered equipment or something wrong with the mains is the cause of their opinion.

My conclusion with exception for expectation bias is that people have real life situations with mains in their homes and as such I do think most have some issues. With regards to badly engineered equipment I trust that we all agree that Devialet is very good engineered as we all chose this as our equipment. 

Use your ears, bring in wife, hifi haters etc as 'neutral' ears to confirm if something is good or bad. I did, and mains cables made a difference and in particular dedicated mains and spur. However to say that this or that cable or solution (or no solution than bog std cable etc) works the best means not much as it may not work at all in someone else system.

Best/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(13-May-2015, 08:44)teddlesdee Wrote: ...which really highlights my (and I suspect many others) dilemma! There are sooooo many variables. Given you have chosen what is hopefully a well made and complimentary set of components for your system, it seems almost 'Black Art' to many of us as to what to do about mains.

It seems to me that decisions on this tend to fall into four main camps -

On the one hand some will just go for the very best they can afford based on forum or media reviews, and are likely not to really understand (or maybe care) if the choice is the optimum or the best for their particular combination and mains status.

Another set of people will exclusively follow the advice of their component suppliers opinion (or need to make more profit - (Cynical, I know!))

The the third set, will spend what seems to me, an inordinate amount of time trying lots of different variations before settling on a combination that sounds to them to be the pinnacle of what is on offer, but this requires a certain amount of dedication, and some understanding of the theory involved.

And lastly the forth, will just go with what is 'in-the-box'.

I suppose it all boils down to -'Whatever floats your Boat!'    Confused Big Grin
Hi,

If you do not experience any mains issues in form of background noise or other irregularities than you just may be fine. But, I also had 'nice' mains in my present home however a dedicated spur and mains cable (on the least 'busy' phase) just made things that better in form of blacker background, dynamics, resolution and even TV got a hike in contrast and colors including less noisy picture.

If your happy with the system don't change just because some of us had positive results doing this or that.

Once again, best investment for me was the dedicated spur and mains for the system.

Cheers/Mike
(12-May-2015, 19:13)f1eng Wrote: There is no technically sound mechanism by which a properly engineered piece of equipment, connected to a properly installed mains system could be influenced by the mains chord AFAIK.

Ah, but have you tried the new Nordost Odin 2 mains cable? Priced at $16,999.99 for a 1.25m length, additional 1.25m increments are $4,999.99 

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...-end-2015/

"Nordost’s newest addition to their Supreme Reference Series will unleash every facet of a live performance and allow listeners to fully immerse themselves in a complete and pure musical experience. Odin 2 doesn’t just set the standard; it blows the standards away."

Something that our delegation to the Munich show should certainly report back on...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)