Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet product dumping...
I keep checking in here to see if there is a discussion about the recent developments is the U.S. Market, but I still haven't seen a thread on this.  Apparently devialet terminated the relationship with the current U.S. Importer who is now dumping all their stock at rock bottom prices.  I've seen many ads now on audiogon and elsewhere for devialet D series for 30 to 40 percent off retail prices, brand new in sealed boxes. WTF.  This sux for all existing devialet owners totally devaluing our gear.  
Aurender, Devialet D400, PMC Fact 12 Speakers, Nordost Cables 
Jax,

I only sort of get what you're upset about. I haven't heard about the US distributor issue, but companies do change distributors; Naim did so not that long ago. But I'm surprised that there are any D-Premiers left that are NIB. Well, a few perhaps, but that is the first series of the product from Devialet, and many would consider it less desirable unless upgraded. 

I would expect that prices for used equipment will inevitably drop as more units are sold, and more make there way onto the used market. Seems normal to me.

I don't expect anything I buy to hold it's value; I paid $7,000.00 plus tax for my D120 and someone here in Canada has a 9 month old D120, with pre-out board, for $6000.00. I'm not annoyed or concerned; it just seems like the typical way things go. A two-year old Naim SuperUniti that was $6,500.00 new is typically available used for $3,900.00 (prices in Canadian dollars). 

Is there something else about the US / NA distribution organization that we need to know? 
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(13-May-2015, 03:11)Jaxwired Wrote: I keep checking in here to see if there is a discussion about the recent developments is the U.S. Market, but I still haven't seen a thread on this.  Apparently devialet terminated the relationship with the current U.S. Importer who is now dumping all their stock at rock bottom prices.  I've seen many ads now on audiogon and elsewhere for devialet D series for 30 to 40 percent off retail prices, brand new in sealed boxes. WTF.  This sux for all existing devialet owners totally devaluing our gear.  

It won't be anywhere near as bad a devaluation as $50,000.- gear did when the D premier came along Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Damon,

I should have been more clear in my post. When I said D series I meant D120, D200, D400. These are the current line and they are being sold at 30 to 40 percent below retail brand new in sealed boxes. I agree that all gear loses value, but I would expect a D200 to sell used today for around $7000. But when people are selling brand new D200s for $6500 or less a used D200 value drops to like $5000 or even $4500. That's excessive devaluation caused by the distributor dumping all their gear. And that is either the fault of Devialet OR the distributor violating a contract.
Aurender, Devialet D400, PMC Fact 12 Speakers, Nordost Cables 
Jaxwired,
I didn't realize the current line up was being sold off like that. You didn't actually say 'D Premier', so I must have added that in myself, possibly because I've seen a few ex demo or trade in D Prem's for sale, but only two D120's in the last 6 months or so. You were clear, sorry about that.

That is distressing. I suppose the impact on the used market prices would depend in part on how many units are involved. I suspect that for me resale will be enough years down the road that it will have no effect. I'll probably never sell it, and short of a lottery winning I will not be upgrading, so I can't even take advantage of the cheap prices.

I wonder what the situation/ relationship is, and why the change. I would ultimately be more concerned about the long term support of the brand here in NA. Being a new brand buyers will also want to know there is long term heath for the company and products, and that would affect used prices too.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Interestingly, it appears that there will be a change in the Japanese distributor too. See the 8 May entry here:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/t...Er6xBl5ocA
They are going direct in the UK.
(14-May-2015, 08:52)Martyn Wrote: They are going direct in the UK.

For both Expert and Phantom ?  Do you mean direct sales or that they will cut out the distributor and keep the existing dealer network? They have some very enthusiastic and competent dealers in the UK and it would be a big loss if they went. Hopefully UK prices will be reduced to bring them in line with those in mainland Europe - they're currently around 16% higher...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I would like to think it would mean a price drop in the UK but I'll believe it when I see it.
Devialet are making an error if retailers and distributors start dumping new equipment on the market at cut-down prices imho, though good news if you can get a cheap Devialet obviously.
(13-May-2015, 04:21)Damon Wrote: Jax,

I only sort of get what you're upset about. I haven't heard about the US distributor issue, but companies do change distributors; Naim did so not that long ago. But I'm surprised that there are any D-Premiers left that are NIB. Well, a few perhaps, but that is the first series of the product from Devialet, and many would consider it less desirable unless upgraded. 

I would expect that prices for used equipment will inevitably drop as more units are sold, and more make there way onto the used market. Seems normal to me.

I don't expect anything I buy to hold it's value; I paid $7,000.00 plus tax for my D120 and someone here in Canada has a 9 month old D120, with pre-out board, for $6000.00. I'm not annoyed or concerned; it just seems like the typical way things go. A two-year old Naim SuperUniti that was $6,500.00 new is typically available used for $3,900.00 (prices in Canadian dollars). 

Is there something else about the US / NA distribution organization that we need to know? 

I was fortunate enough to pick up a four month old 120, here in Ontario for $5200, from a guy who was out of work. About the best price I have seen and I was lucky to be the first guy to respond to the ad. The poor seller was getting calls day and night.  Smile  Oh, and there's a BNIB D120 in Quebec for $Cdn5900. Posted on CAM 3 days ago. Good price.