Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
(05-Jun-2015, 18:39)NickB Wrote:
(05-Jun-2015, 16:12)amabrok Wrote: They seem to be going around singing NDAs with everyone.  Let's hope this does not mean lack of direction.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How good is their singing and is it on Tidal Big Grin

In hi res they are of true audiophile quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
I am curious how many of us, Devialetors, sign up on Roon? I've seen quite a number of Devialetchat members on their forum.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Room is fantastic, just got it installed yesterday. The interface is really well thought through, the Tidal integration is superb, the radio feature is great - very, very impressed indeed.

But none of this would count for much if the sound wasn't great too, but the good news is that it is.... so far I have only run with USB but will try AIR Ethernet later.

Will definitely buy it. Brilliant. I work in tech and it's been a long time since I was this impressed with v1 of anything. Congrats to the Roon team!!!
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(07-Jun-2015, 01:11)hk6230 Wrote: I am curious how many of us, Devialetors, sign up on Roon? I've seen quite a number of Devialetchat members on their forum.

Happy user and big fan of both.  The innovation companies like Devialet and Roon are unleashing makes this the most exciting time in audio since I was bitten by the bug and built my first amp about 35 years ago!

Really hoping Devialet will see sense and allow Roon to support Phantom.  Being able to drive the bigrig via AIR is great, but the killer use case for me is the ability to drive the peripheral endpoints around the apartment which are a combination of Sonos, Airport Express and Phantom.

Do we have any "official" feedback channel to Devialet here on the forum or should I lobby Thierry directly?
Is Roon any use for tagging large classical music libraries in a convenient way? I haven't found a streaming software which is any good at filing and finding classical music yet.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(07-Jun-2015, 09:28)Neffa Wrote: Room is fantastic, just got it installed yesterday. The interface is really well thought through, the Tidal integration is superb, the radio feature is great - very, very impressed indeed.

But none of this would count for much if the sound wasn't great too, but the good news is that it is.... so far I have only run with USB but will try AIR Ethernet later.

Will definitely buy it. Brilliant. I work in tech and it's been a long time since I was this impressed with v1 of anything. Congrats to the Roon team!!!

I tried Roon and it is surely fabulous, as is the people. It does not have anything I need  though. I only use my local library at the moment, none of the streaming services. Sound quality and remote control is so so with Roon. I decided to wait and see and cancelled my trial. I will probably be back when they have improved things.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(07-Jun-2015, 13:18)f1eng Wrote: Is Roon any use for tagging large classical music libraries in a convenient way? I haven't found a streaming software which is any good at filing and finding classical music yet.

It's good but far from perfect.  For instance it tags principal soloists in operatic and choral works (which I could never be bothered to do myself) with hyperlinks to reviews, biographies and other works by the same artists.  I find this capability really captivating, hours flying by as I surf while listening.  

The metadata, while rich, certainly aren't perfect.  For instance it seems to attribute works to John Eliot Gardiner and Sir John Eliot Gardiner as if they were different people, works by Handel are tagged as variously Handel and Haendel, etc.  

I would say that to answer your question you really need to test drive it yourself, since "convenient" can be quite subjective and Roon may handle some areas of classical repertoire (much of mine is reasonably mainstream) better than others.  But it's orders of magnitude better than anything else I've seen and I ponied up for a lifetime subscription without hesitation (or regret).
(07-Jun-2015, 13:18)f1eng Wrote: Is Roon any use for tagging large classical music libraries in a convenient way? I haven't found a streaming software which is any good at filing and finding classical music yet.

It's not really a tagging application, as of right now it ignores your tags and matches everything with it's database.  Which may or may not be good with Classical I'm not sure.  Posts above might give you a better answer.

From reading on their forums, better custom tagging support is coming.  One example is using the album titles we have pain stakingly added to our tags.  I'm hoping it will also make better use of our Album Artist tags as All Music is all over the place on this even with rock.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(07-Jun-2015, 01:11)hk6230 Wrote: I am curious how many of us, Devialetors, sign up on Roon? I've seen quite a number of Devialetchat members on their forum.

Add me to the list, signed up for a lifetime subscription.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(07-Jun-2015, 15:22)Dr Tone Wrote:

Add me to the list, signed up for a lifetime subscription.

I signed up for their lifetime membership, too.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier