Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
Perhaps an Intel NUC running either Linux or Windows 10? Depending on size of your music collection an NUC6i3 might suffice, otherwise you can move to the NUC6i5.

Add 4 or 8GB of RAM. And an M.2 drive to run RoonServer.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I bought a lifetime Roon subscription just over a year ago and now cannot imagine listening to music without it.   The product is awesome and Roon Labs support exceptional.

FWIW, I have a number of Roon endpoints throughout my house although most of them are hardwired ethernet.    I do use wifi for streaming at one endpoint, but it is subject to occasional dropouts - particularly hi-res playback.  But Roon is rock solid via ethernet.  Can't wait for 1.3.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Roon will be realeasing an integrated Linux OS that needs zero Linux knowledge with 1.3 that runs on late generation nuc, called Roon Core Kit.  Looks like a brilliant solution if you don't need to run Air on that computer.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(02-Jan-2017, 02:55)Axel Wrote: It sounds like a Roon will be having a very comprehensive update soon. Unfortunately, I'm unable to use it in my present setup. What would be the cheapest way for me to be able to run it?

RCK as has already been mentioned will be a great solution - power of the core machine really depends on your library size and DSP needs. But if you just want to try it all you need is a computer (Mac OS X,win, or Linux) to run the core, even a second hand one. If you go Linux you'll need a tablet or another computer to run the interface and control it all with. Then either connect this direct via USB, or get a cheap Roon capable streamer - you could start anywhere from 35 quid up with a raspberry pi. Cuboxes/odroid are also good apparently and don't suffer the pis bandwidth limitation if you have a lot of highres (or will want to upsample with 1.3!). Then a basic OS on the streamer like Dietpi. I set up on of my Pis with Dietpi and was up and running in about 10 mins. Or jump in at a RoonReady one where someone's done the work for you.

It's getting easier and easier to do it DIY. Dietpi is a super easy install process for Roon.

If you want any further info am happy to send and point you to some links.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(02-Jan-2017, 09:00)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(02-Jan-2017, 02:55)Axel Wrote: It sounds like a Roon will be having a very comprehensive update soon. Unfortunately, I'm unable to use it in my present setup. What would be the cheapest way for me to be able to run it?

RCK as has already been mentioned will be a great solution - power of the core machine really depends on your library size and DSP needs. But if you just want to try it all you need is a computer (Mac OS X,win, or Linux) to run the core, even a second hand one. If you go Linux you'll need a tablet or another computer to run the interface and control it all with. Then either connect this direct via USB, or get a cheap Roon capable streamer - you could start anywhere from 35 quid up with a raspberry pi. Cuboxes/odroid are also good apparently and don't suffer the pis bandwidth limitation if you have a lot of highres (or will want to upsample with 1.3!). Then a basic OS on the streamer like Dietpi. I set up on of my Pis with Dietpi and was up and running in about 10 mins. Or jump in at a RoonReady one where someone's done the work for you.

It's getting easier and easier to do it DIY. Dietpi is a super easy install process for Roon.

If you want any further info am happy to send and point you to some links.

Thanks! I was rather hoping that the new version of Roon would be able to run on my QNAP NAS, as it has a Linux OS. Do you think this might be possible?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
You should be able to run the current version of Roon, with a 64-bit Intel CPU and 2GB RAM on your NAS.
However for best performance they recommend 4GB and running the Roon database on an SSD.
I upgraded my Synology DS213J NAS to a QNAP TVS-471 and have Roon on that.
Roon -> AIR -> Ethernet ->  D220-> KEF Reference 3
What he said. You need a 64 bit cpu. Lots of people use specs lower than Roon recommend and seem to be happy - really depends on your library size.
And if you want convolution and eq in three zones simultaneously a NAS isn't going to be ideal Wink

If you run it on your NAS you still need something to connect it to your devialet.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(01-Jan-2017, 21:56)GuillaumeB Wrote: One of my NY's resolutions is to get to the bottom of my issues with Roon.

I am literally plagued by dropouts. Usually restarting Roon Server on the sonicTransporter does the trick but sure enough they do return. They are worse with 24bit and DSD.

I am pretty sure it's not my network, but I suppose there might be something funny going on there.

My guess is that it's either a problem with the sonicTransporter or the Totaldac implementation of Roon. I did already discuss this with Andrew @ Small Green Computer (the makers of the sT) and he seemed to think it was something I needed to raise with Roon. Being lazy and preoccupied with other things I did not follow this up properly.

With all the new functionality coming with 1.3 I do wonder if my sT will be able to cope with it. Sometimes it can be a little sluggish with searches.

My Roon is up for renewal in April, and as much as I love the interface (I really do) I'm not sure if I will commit to another year. 

What would really suit me would be Roon integration with Qobuz but I realise this isn't going to happen soon since Qobuz have designs of their own, in terms of owning the desktop. I find myself listening to Qobuz over 70% of the time and it is growing. Superb sound quality and wonderful music selections and suggestions.

I do find it terribly frustrating that these companies won't link up properly and ironically I suffer more dropouts with Roon than, say, AIR.

Happy New Year everyone!  Smile

Guillaume

I had the same, I could not get Roon working without breaking the AIR connection. Next to this I found priority of Roon is on the GUI and metadata, and not on the SQ / player. I'm now running Audirvana with Air (3.0 public-beta) and it works all the time, had not a single drop in connection in weeks... (3.0 RC is giving problems). Will keep this until the streamer board comes out. BTW its working great with Tidal, Quobuz and Highres Audio.
I'm finding roon and air pretty rock solid on a slow celeron nuc (n2820), the only problem I had since air 3.0 beta was launched turned out to be a faulty network switch so can't blame Devialet or Roon for that.

I think the key is not to run other things on the pc.

Given the new functions in Roon 1.3 I have bought a newer i5 nuc to run the Roon Core Kit. I'll then repurpose the celeron nuc to run Roon bridge and air only, neither of which use much power so should be massively overspecced. I'm planning to put this roon bridge pc in a fanless case and run some of the win 10 optimisation tweaks to get it running as few services and processes as possible. I may also get a linear power supply if I can find a reasonably priced one.

This is probably complete overkill and paranoia but it can't do any harm, even if it doesn't sound any better it should be 100% reliable. I'll post an update after 1.3 is released to see how it goes.

Cheers

Chris
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(02-Jan-2017, 17:18)Hifi_swlon Wrote: What he said. You need a 64 bit cpu. Lots of people use specs lower than Roon recommend and seem to be happy - really depends on your library size.
And if you want convolution and eq in three zones simultaneously a NAS isn't going to be ideal Wink

If you run it on your NAS you still need something to connect it to your devialet.

Not quite with you. My NAS is connected to my D via Mutec. Is this no good for Roon?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England