Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
I wonder if this new feature in Roon ROCK will mean other Linux program only? Perhaps it is to be able to run HQ player.

Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Interesting. Its always been a very firm 'no' and designed for Roon server only, so that's quite a departure. I wonder how that would work as from what I understand ROCK isn't a mainstream Linux variant, but a low-level appliance like OS that Danny wrote specifically for Roon.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Roon 1.3 build 216 is out now.

New DSP Functionality

The DSP functionality we are releasing today closes up a lot of loose ends that didn’t quite make it into 1.3, and also addresses some feedback that we’ve received since.

Support for DSD512 and 768kHz output for devices that support it.
Support for processing DSD content natively without performing a PCM conversion. This will be turned on by default, but can be disabled if needed.
A setting that allows for signal paths performing DSD output to use multiple cores for processing. This comes with a small efficiency tradeoff, but it makes high rate DSD output practical on some systems where it otherwise wouldn’t be.
Significant performance optimizations to the sample rate converters and sigma-delta modulators (needed to make DSD512 practical).
New SDM filter options, developed using the CLANS (closed loop analysis of noise shapers) method.
New SRC filter choices: Smooth vs Precise filters. The Precise filters are steeper than the old ones, but designed around similar goals. The Smooth filters are ultra-slow-roll-off filters optimized for a very clean transient response. “Precise, Minimum Phase” is the new default.
The default DSD output gain adjustment is now 0dB--we do not believe that this will cause stability issues. If you ever touched this setting, your chosen value will be preserved, but for people who never interacted with it, the new default will be used. The default of -3dB caused an offset between PCM and DSD when using volume leveling in conjunction with the (enabled by default) DSD processing capabilities, which is not acceptable behavior.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

It's Easter and Roon is really not liking my Matthew Passion which is a shame. I think it has too much metadata or something. It crashes, freezes etc.  Sad

Here's the album:

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-mat...ssion.aspx

Anyone else come across a similar problem?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
That has never happened to me with any album but I dont have that much classical music which I assume often has a lot of metadata.

Have you tried to ask the question at Roon community?

Second system

(13-Apr-2017, 12:39)GuillaumeB Wrote: It's Easter and Roon is really not liking my Matthew Passion which is a shame. I think it has too much metadata or something. It crashes, freezes etc.  :(

Here's the album:

Guillaume

Crashes/pauses playing back or trying to identify? (Or even just browsing maybe).

Sounds very wrong anyway in all cases.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(13-Apr-2017, 12:39)GuillaumeB Wrote: It's Easter and Roon is really not liking my Matthew Passion which is a shame. I think it has too much metadata or something. It crashes, freezes etc.  Sad

Here's the album:

Guillaume

Metadata is an easy fix on your own.  Take a copy of the album and nuke some of the metadata and try it again.

I also see it has allot of tracks which might make this album unique and caused a Roon bug to flare up.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Tried the new precise filters in the up-sampling and streaming 192k to my 440 sounds really good better than with the old filter. Have not compared it to HQ Player but to me it sounds like Roon have closed the gap.

Promising update this build 216, just a NUC with Roon ROCK is something I am looking in to and streaming to a Sotm SMS-200 that is connected to a.......

Second system

(13-Apr-2017, 15:21)octaviars Wrote: Tried the new precise filters in the up-sampling and streaming 192k to my 440 sounds really good better than with the old filter. Have not compared it to HQ Player but to me it sounds like Roon have closed the gap.

Promising update this build 216, just a NUC with Roon ROCK is something I am looking in to and streaming to a Sotm SMS-200 that is connected to a.......

I played a bit with the Roon upsampling again last night.  It's still lacking in comparison to HQPlayer.  I'm now using Poly-Sinc-xtr to DSD128.  The music feels hard and constrained with Roon upsampling, with HQPlayer it smooth, flows and envelops you.  Your toes start tapping immediately.

There is major mojo in HQPlayer!
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(13-Apr-2017, 14:12)The Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(13-Apr-2017, 12:39)GuillaumeB Wrote: It's Easter and Roon is really not liking my Matthew Passion which is a shame. I think it has too much metadata or something. It crashes, freezes etc.  Sad

Here's the album:

Guillaume

Crashes/pauses playing back or trying to identify? (Or even just browsing maybe).

Sounds very wrong anyway in all cases.

If I select the album it takes forever to load up and occasionally fails to load. Once playing the controller doesn't seem to keep up with the music. Occasionally stops and Roon on IPhone will lose contact with Roon on sT. It's a bit of a mess until I select another album. Works fine with other stuff. My guess is that the extensive metadata is throwing it.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK