Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
(13-Apr-2017, 15:48)Dr Tone Wrote:
(13-Apr-2017, 15:21)octaviars Wrote: Tried the new precise filters in the up-sampling and streaming 192k to my 440 sounds really good better than with the old filter. Have not compared it to HQ Player but to me it sounds like Roon have closed the gap.

Promising update this build 216, just a NUC with Roon ROCK is something I am looking in to and streaming to a Sotm SMS-200 that is connected to a.......

I played a bit with the Roon upsampling again last night.  It's still lacking in comparison to HQPlayer.  I'm now using Poly-Sinc-xtr to DSD128.  The music feels hard and constrained with Roon upsampling, with HQPlayer it smooth, flows and envelops you.  Your toes start tapping immediately.

There is major mojo in HQPlayer!

Did you use DSD 128 in Roon also?

I think that Roon got better in 192k to my Devialet but as you say HQ Player is still better I meant to write Roon closed the gap a bit not closed the gap all the way.....and HQ Player is really good at upsampling to DSD the higher the better as it seems when you read the forums...
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(13-Apr-2017, 16:54)octaviars Wrote: Did you use DSD 128 in Roon also?

I think that Roon got better in 192k to my Devialet but as you say HQ Player is still better I meant to write Roon closed the gap a bit not closed the gap all the way.....

Yes, DSD128 with both 7th order modulators.  Tried PCM as well briefly but I'm spoiled now.  The poly-sinc-ext is still the best PCM option in my opinion.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(13-Apr-2017, 16:58)Dr Tone Wrote:

I think that Roon got better in 192k to my Devialet but as you say HQ Player is still better I meant to write Roon closed the gap a bit not closed the gap all the way.....

Yes, DSD128 with both 7th order modulators.  Tried PCM as well briefly but I'm spoiled now.  The poly-sinc-ext is still the best PCM option in my opinion.

What DAC chip does the C47 use? Does it handle DSD in native or convert it to PCM?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

(13-Apr-2017, 17:08)octaviars Wrote:
(13-Apr-2017, 16:58)Dr Tone Wrote:

What DAC chip does the C47 use? Does it handle DSD in native or convert it to PCM?

Lowly Sabre 9018.  So native DSD.  I have yet to get DSD256 to it reliably.  SOTM has given up and have no clue why the microRendu and dietPI work.  I'm going to build a PI and hopefully give the SOTM developer access to it so he can figure things out.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(13-Apr-2017, 18:05)Dr Tone Wrote:
(13-Apr-2017, 17:08)octaviars Wrote:
(13-Apr-2017, 16:58)Dr Tone Wrote: Yes, DSD128 with both 7th order modulators.  Tried PCM as well briefly but I'm spoiled now.  The poly-sinc-ext is still the best PCM option in my opinion.

Lowly Sabre 9018.  So native DSD.  I have yet to get DSD256 to it reliably.  SOTM has given up and have no clue why the microRendu and dietPI work.  I'm going to build a PI and hopefully give the SOTM developer access to it so he can figure things out.

Nice....I have looked at Gryphon Diablo 300 which also uses the Sabre 9018 but they can today only do DSD 256 and 512 with Windows not any Linux machines...

"USB can process PCM up to 32-bit/384 kHz as well as DSD (Windows OS up to DSD512, Mac OS up to DSD128, Linux OS up to DSD128 DoP"

My plan was to also use a Sotm SMS-200, I am going to try another amp on monday with no DSD at all so I will have to see how that goes.

Second system

(13-Apr-2017, 19:15)octaviars Wrote: Nice....I have looked at Gryphon Diablo 300 which also uses the Sabre 9018 but they can today only do DSD 256 and 512 with Windows not any Linux machines...

"USB can process PCM up to 32-bit/384 kHz as well as DSD (Windows OS up to DSD512, Mac OS up to DSD128, Linux OS up to DSD128 DoP"

My plan was to also use a Sotm SMS-200, I am going to try another amp on monday with no DSD at all so I will have to see how that goes.

USB implementation in the DAC seems to be the deciding factor.

(13-Apr-2017, 19:35)Dr Tone Wrote:
(13-Apr-2017, 19:15)octaviars Wrote: Nice....I have looked at Gryphon Diablo 300 which also uses the Sabre 9018 but they can today only do DSD 256 and 512 with Windows not any Linux machines...

USB implementation in the DAC seems to be the deciding factor.

Yes I suppose that is the thing that decides how DSD can be done. See a lot of talk regarding for say Lampizator and DSD 512 and some Amanero USB module.

Second system

Seems that DSD256 via ASIO is now working properly with HQPlayer 3.16.1. Mind you there are a few pops if you aren't careful when moving around tracks. Roon gets them when hard stopping as well. Driver issues.

Did a DSD256 upsampling shoot out with Roon just now. No comparison. poly-sinc-xtr/ASDM7 to DSD is really friggin good.

Sure wish I could use the sMS-200 for Native DSD256.

Hi jeff, i m playing AIR 3.0.4 thru ethernet fully now, sounds very good. Upsampling thru roon to 192 kbps. I ve tried hq player before( the trial version), and was satisfied with some sound improvement. Are you confirming that hq player is much better than roon upsampling? Should i go for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(14-Apr-2017, 18:09)samsoum Wrote: Hi jeff, i m playing AIR 3.0.4 thru ethernet fully now, sounds very good. Upsampling thru roon to 192 kbps. I ve tried hq player before( the trial version), and was satisfied with some sound improvement. Are you confirming that hq player is much better than roon upsampling? Should i go for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HQPlayer using the poly-sinc-ext/NS9 to PCM 176.4/192 sounded great to me, at the time I didn't think Roon upsampling was near as good.  I don't know how the new filters in Roon compare in the PCM world, @octaviars might be able to answer that question better.