Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
(18-Apr-2017, 11:58)Confused Wrote:
(18-Apr-2017, 11:54)ssfas Wrote: Incidentally Steve, we have more in common than you think! Both Londoners, 250 Pro users, I had Fact.8 and now have Harbeth. So we both have excellent taste, even if we differ on Roon.

Heart "Love is in the AIR" Heart

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.....)

Well, I'm all about a little love.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

sorry if already posted a review or question but did someone tried Roon with RP3 + Hifiberry digi+ pro ?
instead of an expensive microrendu or SoTM ?

http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/inde...-pro.1116/
https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/hifiberry...interface/
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
Finally got round to doing a 'poor mans' Room Correction, using REW and exporting filters for Roons convolution engine - using the very helpful guide by Magnus on the Roon forums.

It's an interesting technique as it uses 'moving mike measurement' taken using pink noise over time with the mic reading all the time and doing real time averages. There's more info in the link, but considering it only deals with amplitude and I did my measurements in a real rush, frankly it's pretty good.

It's been so long since I used Dirac and I've upgraded since, that a comparison would be pointless, but I think even if Dirac had the edge, this is a pretty good outcome. It's certainly better than the 'by eye' EQ I was using, and of course Dirac isn't an option in Roon anyway (not directly at least) and this approach is free - if not quite a bit more fiddly.

This should be in Room Correction really, so I'll do a more detailed one there at some point, but for me it's all about having DRC in Roon. My room measures so badly the amplitude only approach deals with the biggest issues.

Looking forward to going back and taking a bit more time to get another set of measurements, should I ever have another window of free time with the house to myself (rare these days).

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(07-May-2017, 00:39)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Finally got round to doing a 'poor mans' Room Correction, using REW and exporting filters for Roons convolution engine - using the very helpful guide by Magnus on the Roon forums.

It's an interesting technique as it uses 'moving mike measurement' taken using pink noise over time with the mic reading all the time and doing real time averages. There's more info in the link, but considering it only deals with amplitude and I did my measurements in a real rush, frankly it's pretty good.

It's been so long since I used Dirac and I've upgraded since, that a comparison would be pointless, but I think even if Dirac had the edge, this is a pretty good outcome. It's certainly better than the 'by eye' EQ I was using, and of course Dirac isn't an option in Roon anyway (not directly at least) and this approach is free - if not quite a bit more fiddly.

This should be in Room Correction really, so I'll do a more detailed one there at some point, but for me it's all about having DRC in Roon. My room measures so badly the amplitude only approach deals with the biggest issues.

Looking forward to going back and taking a bit more time to get another set of measurements, should I ever have another window of free time with the house to myself (rare these days).

I have used this method myself and i am very content with it. Although it isn't a complete replacement for good physical room correction, for me it was certainly the only realistic way to get rid of a huge standing wave at 38 hz...
Devialet 250 Expert Pro / Nordost Valhalla Bi-Wire / Sonus Faber Olympica II
Anthem MRX 710 / B&W MT-60D
Paul Hynes SR7/T LPS / Intel Core i7 NUC-Plato X7D with Roon Lifetime / Melco S100 Switch with 2 x Ansuz Ethernet A2
Dr. Feickert Woodpecker II with Inertia Platter / Dr. Feickert Linear / Jelco TK-850L Arm / Shelter 501 III Cartridge

Power: AQ Niagara 3000 with AQ Tornado to Furutech wall outlet <-> Doepke DFS 2 F Audio Fuse Box and 3 x AQ Blizzard to Components
(07-May-2017, 09:19)Bartype Wrote: ... Although it isn't a complete replacement for good physical room correction...

It is if physical room correction isn't an option, like for me.... Wink

(27-Apr-2017, 15:41)jfp Wrote: sorry if already posted a review or question but did someone tried Roon with RP3 + Hifiberry digi+ pro ?

I have used this exact combination with Roon Bridge and Hqplayer installed with DietPi. Shows up in both and sounds fine. I can hear little or no difference between this and USB or Air.
Roon Rock, NUC7i5BNH, Expert Pro 220 CI, Thorens TD124/ESL1000/SPU, Mitchell Orbe/SME V/Shelter 901, RP3/DigiOne, Tannoy Prestige GR Stirling,
Some cables, Auralic Minis and etc.
                                    Toronto 

Question: Do you guys use the volume leveling option? What is your experience? Read somewhere that they advise to use is against the loudness war.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(27-Apr-2017, 15:41)jfp Wrote: sorry if already posted a review or question but did someone tried Roon with RP3 + Hifiberry digi+ pro ?

Yes I have tried exactly that also with HQPlayer naa and it works wonderfully well. Use Diet Pi and and  no problems.
Roon Rock, NUC7i5BNH, Expert Pro 220 CI, Thorens TD124/ESL1000/SPU, Mitchell Orbe/SME V/Shelter 901, RP3/DigiOne, Tannoy Prestige GR Stirling,
Some cables, Auralic Minis and etc.
                                    Toronto 

(02-Jun-2017, 08:13)KraaijCheck Wrote: Question: Do you guys use the volume leveling option? What is your experience? Read somewhere that they advise to use is against the loudness war.

Personally I don't but then I prefer to not futz too much with the signal...

Maybe someone else has more experience with that feature..
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I don't have any issues SQ-wise since I'm already doing fairly heavy room correction and other eq so I'm hardly in the pure signal camp any more. It's also very convenient. But ultimately I disabled it because for the majority of music I listen to the attenuation is a lot and means higher volume settings on the amp.
I could reduce my dsp headroom since volume levelling probably gives enough - but then what if I play something with a good range score, will it clip? I decided to not bother and just embrace a bit of volume adjustment - otherwise what's the beautiful remote for!?