Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM Lab....
Interesting - it can apparently be done in ten minutes with this new box….

I wonder what the engineers at Devialet labs did for the three days it allegedly took to SAM speakers there?   Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

at a guess at the labs they get the SAM as "perfect" as they figure they can get it while the box is simply an improvement but not as good as proper lab testing.

it means they can claim a higher amount of speakers under SAM improvement while they work on the speakers they choose to improve.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I wonder if they actually take the time to measure both speakers and average the results or just one and run with it. I also wonder how long before some enterprising entity comes along and CNC's a similar component that allows end-users the ability to DIY. Similar to the stand-alone engine management systems that were developed for the automotive industry 20 or so years ago. My instinct tells me if I'm wondering today someone or several are already hunkered down at a work bench pursuing it.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(18-May-2015, 15:25)Manoet Wrote: I wonder if they actually take the time to measure both speakers and average the results or just one and run with it. I also wonder how long before some enterprising entity comes along and CNC's a similar component that allows end-users the ability to DIY. Similar to the stand-alone engine management systems that were developed for the automotive industry 20 or so years ago. My instinct tells me if I'm wondering today someone or several are already hunkered down at a work bench pursuing it.

wouldnt they need one of the devices to test against so they know what to actually do?

they actually had cars to work against before they started making stand-alone engine management systems
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I certainly don't have all the answers and am far from having thought it thru... but dollars to donuts its already being worked on somewhere and likely by more than one or two. S'the way of the world! Not a matter of 'if'... but simply 'when' and to what degree. Its virtually guaranteed! "If you build it, they will come." Hide & watch ;-)
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
oh yeah one other important factor! the person who makes the device needs to be able to hack the devialet servers to upload the sam info because devialet would never upload a 3rd party boxes sam info themselves Tongue
(18-May-2015, 15:25)Manoet Wrote: I wonder if they actually take the time to measure both speakers and average the results or just one and run with it. I also wonder how long before some enterprising entity comes along and CNC's a similar component that allows end-users the ability to DIY. Similar to the stand-alone engine management systems that were developed for the automotive industry 20 or so years ago. My instinct tells me if I'm wondering today someone or several are already hunkered down at a work bench pursuing it.

There are many other "better than SAM" products out there as stand alones.. they do far more than SAM .. like DIRAC or Acourate etc..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(18-May-2015, 23:10)completeluxury Wrote: Picked this from your Signature; Regarding audioquest oak Power conditioner

I heard Audioquest is coming up with Power Conditioner from a dealer in Oregon. But not until end of this year. It seems the Main designer from Furman designed the Audioquest Power Conditioner. 

Just wondering how you could get the Power Conditioner from Audioquest. Did they supplied these some time ago? I could not locate it on their website.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
jnan sorry to disappoint but you got the order wrong in my signature.

its speaker cable - audioquest oak power conditioner - furman spr16ei
From http://en.devialet.com/docs/whitepaperfirmwarev8.pdf

"SPEAKER ACTIVE MATCHING,
PORTABLE LABORATORY
SAM Lab

is the latest innovation invented inside Devialet’s acoustical and signal processing
laboratories. SAM Lab

revolutionizes the way speakers are measured.
In 2014, in order to measure and obtain the SAM parameters several days of measurements were
needed with the first speakers Devialet analyzed. The engineers opened these individually, measured
each driver, cross-over filters, and the cabinetwork.
In 2015, thanks to SAM Lab, the same speaker model can now be entirely characterized in less than
8 minutes,. This can be achieved in semiautomatic manner, without having to open the speakers.
SAM Lab is a portable and extremely powerful piece of equipment which will allow Devialet to
accelerate the process of making a speaker SAM Ready, and to reach all the speakers on the
audiophile market.
SAM Lab is composed of three elements:
|
A Devialet Expert 200.
|
The SAM Lab device: it is placed between the speaker which needs to be modeled and the
   Devialet Expert.
|
The SAM Lab software, conducting the three elements, measures everything in a semi-
   automatic manner and calculates in real time the SAM V2 parameter set.
The best measuring tool to measure the speakers is therefore Le 200 with the Devialet Expert 8.0
Firmware and an SDcard with a specific SAM Lab configuration. All this is allowed by the powerful
EVO Platform

concept: the Devialet becomes the measuring tool allowing a speaker to become
SAM Ready.
The SAM Lab device, specially designed to interface with Le 200, combines all the connections
required to make a speaker SAM Ready with the laser control system which measures the movement
of the drivers’ membrane.
The SAM Lab software runs on Macintosh and PC. It makes it easy to measure in just a few steps
all the measurements and calculations that are required to characterize a speaker. Devialet specially
developed algorithms able to automatically calculate the key parameters of the speaker."
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands