Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom - driver sizes, crossover point...
Been absolutely fascinated by all your comments on the Phantom. 

1. Curious if any know what are the size of the enclosed drivers on both the mids and tweeters?  Curious. 
2. And anyone know what is the crossover points for the bass to the mids and then uppers? 

My read is that: 
- Phantom is outperforming its cost and size when compared to traditional speakers. 
- However, it is not quite up to fuller sized speakers, even compared to the Atohm GT1 mids and highs.  

Hence my curiosity as to the drivers used in the Phantom.  Obviously Devialet has to keep driver size down.

Thanks!
MtnGuy
I do not think that Devialet has given details about driver size (well, I could use a ruler but it would not be very precise) and crossover frequencies but according to this photo taken yesterday at Munich's HIGH END 2015:
[Image: iLvhClJ.jpg]
it appears that the side-firing woofers cover the 16-300Hz range.

I do not know if Devialet ever said what the tweeters were made of either...
Don't know the crossover details. The pair of bass domes have a combined area bigger than a 10" cone bass but a little bit less than a 12" unit. I measured it for another post a few weeks ago and don't remember the exact figure.

It can be deceptive to compare unit sizes since the traditional unit sizes (15", 12" 6.5" etc) refer to the chassis outside diameter, not the effective piston diameter, so an unconventional unit like the coaxial mid ring driver is not really comparable to any traditional mid driver.

The tweeter dome is not woven but I can not tell whether it is a plastic or metal foil.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

LOl....thanks. I wonder if the sound will improve a smidgen if one takes out the front 'screen'. In all my other speaker, I've preferred to have the screen off but those are cloth/mesh while the Devialet looks to be a filligree plastic piece.
(15-May-2015, 17:50)MountainGuy Wrote: LOl....thanks. I wonder if the sound will improve a smidgen if one takes out the front 'screen'.  In all my other speaker, I've preferred to have the screen off but those are cloth/mesh while the Devialet looks to be a filligree plastic piece.
 Depends whether it is just styling or part of the acoustic design.
IME the manufacturer usually best, but if removing it gave, for example, a treble peak some people would like it Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(15-May-2015, 17:50)MountainGuy Wrote: LOl....thanks. I wonder if the sound will improve a smidgen if one takes out the front 'screen'.  In all my other speaker, I've preferred to have the screen off but those are cloth/mesh while the Devialet looks to be a filligree plastic piece.

I did remove the "screen" and to me the treble is better without.
PH