Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
200 vs. 400 when only using as a DAC/Phono/Pre
I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers and cables from a local boutique audio shop. I am also very impressed by their amplifier - something about the synergy between the components makes the system sound blissful. What this means is that I'll downsize from a D400 back to a D200, which I intend to use mainly as a DAC and Phono Stage, and perhaps a preamp (volume control).

What I understood till now was that when you daisy-chained two units, the benefits were mainly on the amplification side. That the signal processing for the source still happened on the master. As a result, going from a D400 to a D200 to use only for the purposes I mentioned, I should theoretically not see a degradation in performance.

However, I sent Devialet a note asking about this, and someone gave me a generic "everything performs better on the D400" message. Does anyone have first hand experience with this, and can tell me?

Thanks so much!
Devialet 400 / Von Gaylord Return Of The Legend + VG-1 PlusĀ / Well Tempered Simplex w/ Dynavector 20x2L