Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DSD via USB
(16-May-2015, 20:52)ErikM Wrote: Well I got a chance to listen to to DSD vs PCM of the same album.. DSD won. Just wish there was more music that I want in DSD..
DSD provide ZERO superior sound quality over PCM, ZERO... Sleepy  It was and still is the fruit of Sony massive marketing claims that SACD (DSD) was superior to DVD-AUDIO (PCM) which it was, but not because of the encoding scheme.  All thing being equal DSD download is no better or worst than PCM download.
(16-May-2015, 21:52)BestAlexEver Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 20:52)ErikM Wrote: Well I got a chance to listen to to DSD vs PCM of the same album.. DSD won. Just wish there was more music that I want in DSD..
DSD provide ZERO superior sound quality over PCM, ZERO... Sleepy  It was and still is the fruit of Sony massive marketing claims that SACD (DSD) was superior to DVD-AUDIO (PCM) which it was, but not because of the encoding scheme.  All thing being equal DSD download is no better or worst than PCM download.

well, any way,

DSD has an equivalent PCM : the DXD. (384 Khz - 24 bits)
I used that in Pyramix professionnal editing softaware, and in case of extremly well recorded music - that sampling rate offers more quality than 96 khz or 192 khz.... but it's very subtle.

Coming back to my DSD files readed on my SYNOLOGY 214 + and USB linked to DEVIALET 200 .
Still reading 192 khz on rhe devialet display.

same thing for you guys ?
Devialet 200 - Restek Ergo - synology 214+
Master Loudspeakers : Grand Cru Audio Essentiel
Funny toys Loudspeakers : Penaudio Charisma
Mine not using USB, coax instead. I'm seeing dsd64.
(17-May-2015, 15:55)milk_vanilla Wrote: Mine not using USB, coax instead. I'm seeing dsd64.
Hello Milk Vanilla,
Would you please explain your config ?
How do you read DSD files ?
From wich server ?

Regards

Funsloop
Devialet 200 - Restek Ergo - synology 214+
Master Loudspeakers : Grand Cru Audio Essentiel
Funny toys Loudspeakers : Penaudio Charisma
(17-May-2015, 16:23)Funsloop Wrote:
(17-May-2015, 15:55)milk_vanilla Wrote: Mine not using USB, coax instead. I'm seeing dsd64.
Hello Milk Vanilla,
Would you please explain your config ?
How do you read DSD files ?
From wich server ?

Regards

Funsloop

I dont think you can get DSD directly from your Synology NAS via USB regardles of wich server program you have on the NAS.

I have a Synology 213+ and I run Minimserver on it and my Auralic Aries is connected to the same network as the NAS and sends PCM and DSD64 via AES/EBU to my Devialet.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(17-May-2015, 12:51)Funsloop Wrote:

well, any way,

DSD has an equivalent PCM : the DXD. (384 Khz - 24 bits)
I used that in Pyramix professionnal editing softaware, and in case of extremly well recorded music - that sampling rate offers more quality than 96 khz or 192 khz.... but it's very subtle.

Coming back to my DSD files readed on my SYNOLOGY 214 + and USB linked to DEVIALET 200 .
Still reading 192 khz on rhe devialet display.

same thing for you guys ?
With MinimServer, Jplay6 + Linn Kazoo, audio PC connected to Devialet with USB, Devialet shows "DSD 64" with dsf files (converted into DoPwav by MinimServer).
If you read 192 kHz,  I think Devialet is feeded by PCM.
Devialet 800, Focal Utopia Diva (SAM), Roon 1.3 (build 242, Devialet Air in Roon) + Audio PC (customized Windows 10) + Android app
France
I use a Synology DS214Play running Minimserver feeding a Auralic Aries.. MY 200 says DSD64.. I don't think Synology Disk Station can output DSD files and is instead converting it to PCM..

I'm glad you believe so.. I think the DSD files I've listened to sounded better than the PCM versions.. Isn't it great that we can all listen to what we like and believe what we want. What a small and boring world it would be if everyone thought the same :-)
(16-May-2015, 07:02)AllenB Wrote: Explore more, yes. Try David Elias, who has been a proponent of DS for many years now. Either go direct to his webpage where you can get all his music on DSD. But first, I came across him where he has 3 tracks available for free download on the Oppo website https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx

'Visions of Her' can be downloaded as DSD, 24-bit and 16/44.1, so that you can compare. I have compared the first and last so far, via Audirvana / MacMini and USB on the Dev 200. The former is far superior in SQ, there really is something to this DSD. It is night and day on my system, so it's possible that, like we had with so many 24-bit tracks being so-so, the quality of the native or converted DSD is going to play a big factor. Being fully DSD, David Elias seems to show off what is good about DSD.

I downloaded these files except mp3 and listened to them all. Good recording but very boring music which makes listening to the same track repeatedly a chore. Via Macbook Pro/Audirvana+ and USB to my D250 all the versions show the correct sampling rate including DSD64 (source button).  The best sound was by far the 88.2/24 WAV file then the Flac version. DSD and 44.1/16 was much less resolved albeit different from each other but I would not venture which one I preferred. 
When I play the same DSD and 88.2 WAV file through my AK120 via optical (toslink) both versions show up at the D250 as 88.2 as the AK120 converts DSD files to 88.2/24. The Wav file was better sounding which means that the Korg Audiogate software makes better DSD to PCM conversions than the internal conversion of the AK120. Comparing the same 88.2 Wav files via Audirvana/USB to AK120/optical both sound quite good: USB more etched detail and optical slightly warmer and softer. Playing the DSD file through the AK120 was quite better than the USB version.
So I think what I am hearing is the effect of different file conversions: Korg, Astell&Kern and Devialet's MAT. It would be interesting to know what MAT really is!
Funsloop,

I'm using lumin as the streamer, feed by synology with minimserver service on it.