Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom's woofer dance
Given there are very few speakers that can reproduce bass at such a low frequency and most night club speakers are just a continuous drone why do artists bother?
For deep bass try Anders Trentemøller's track - Evil Dub (Original Mix).
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Bjork's "Vulnicura", Tracks "Family" and "Black Lake" have the deepest E-A-R-T-H-Q-U-A-K-E bass I've heard. It's not especially fast or part of the main rhythm, but plunges to subterranean depths. I haven't found much melody in there, but as bass demos they are magnificent.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
This gets me thinking, are we supposed to hear that amount of deep bass if most speakers are not able to reproduce them? I mean are the phantoms artificially adding more bass? Don't get me wrong I love deep bass and always contemplated adding a sub to my system but reading this forum just got me thinking if the phantoms reproducing what's on the cd or are they adding deep bass to it.
They are not adding anything that is not in the tune. The only problem is that you needed very large woofers (like 30+ cm) and a enclosure with more than 150 liters instead of 6 liters.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(03-Jul-2015, 11:42)Dom Wrote: This gets me thinking, are we supposed to hear that amount of deep bass if most speakers are not able to reproduce them? I mean are the phantoms artificially adding more bass? Don't get me wrong I love deep bass and always contemplated adding a sub to my system but reading this forum just got me thinking if the phantoms reproducing what's on the cd or are they adding deep bass to it.

No, the Phantoms do not add significant amount of bass. They reproduce what is there. A simple measurement I made with not professional equipment showed that a 20Hz sine signal had the same amplitude as a 1kHz tone. Harmonic distortion was 25 dB or more lower than the sine tone. To distinguish between room modes and distortion I walked with the measurement microphone through the room and observed all frequencies that were staying more or less constant. You can do this for other frequencies and find those that are not room resonances, which add or substract to what the speaker produces. I know this is no proper measurement, but a good approximation to see if a speaker adds bass or is rather neutral. The Phantom is neutral.
(03-Jul-2015, 11:42)Dom Wrote: This gets me thinking, are we supposed to hear that amount of deep bass if most speakers are not able to reproduce them?

This is a spectrum visualiser going from C0 (16.352Hz) to F10 (22,350.6Hz), I colored A1 (55Hz) in red as it is around where many speakers' low frequency response is located:

[Image: wbaXxdR.jpg]
One of the most impressive "Phantom Dance" I've experienced so far, came also most unexpected: no drum beat, no heavy/loud tune but a kind of deep blowing wind: try the first minutes from Artist Biosphere, Album Substrata, Track Kobresia (to be found on Spotify but maybe also elsewhere)... Although it's probably not everyone's taste, I like it to show the famous "Dance" cause it's not hurting any sensible ears and it produces most effectively the astonished faces you want to see by demoing Phantom. Big Grin
Ha Ha, I managed to see the effects on my KEF LS50, too.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier