Poll: Do you like the sound of the new 8.0 firmware?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
58.33%
77 58.33%
No
15.15%
20 15.15%
Undecided or can't hear a difference
26.52%
35 26.52%
Total 132 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 8.0 firmware
Yes no more drop outs even over Wifi also for me.
I tested SQ a bit longer now and indeed, its quite simple, the sound effect of 7.1.3 comes back with higher volume. Seems 8.0 drops the power down...
I'll need to test some configuration options...
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
Did spend quite some time by now to compare v8 and 7.1.1 (did skip 7.1.3 as beta).
B&W 800D with SAM on 37%-50% and via Ethernet and USB connection - no DPM:

Pros
- Wider Sound Stage (although seems to create a little bit of echo effect like in a larger concert hall)
- Clearer and more articulated bass
- USB quality significantly improved - in v8 it is comparable to Ethernet whereas in 7.1.1 was no option for me
- SAM effect is not so strong and hence possible to experiment more with how much % of it you want to use

Cons
- Much more high and mid frequency emphasis (even more via Ethernet compared to USB)
- Voices and instruments did sound more natural with 7.1.1 - I tend to agree with earlier comments about being harsher and more analytical
- Amp significantly warmer - + 5 degrees - with DPM Off in my setup (and with DPM is not an option as lacking bass control and punch)

Overall my tendency is to stay on 7.1.1 for the moment although I further will continue to test and share findings
(21-May-2015, 19:11)PhilP Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 18:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Its interesting how differently we all hear, and what effects firmware changes have depending on system.  I feel exactly as you about v8 - to me the Devialet with v8 has gone back more towards my former Naim amp with much more mid emphasis and more 'aggressive' sound.  Not as far, but in the direction.  Yet many find it much better in their setups so I think we may well be in trouble!

If the sound presentation can change so radically (in relative terms and to my ears) with each update, then you haven't really bought into a 'Devialet sound' in my opinion, you've got a box that is going to sound however Devialet feel at the time….

Its funny that you should say that because I moved to Devialet to get away from the 'aggressive' and fatiguing Naim sound Wink  (Quick EDIT to say I do like Naim's top end systems NDS/552/500 Wink )

And I very much agree with your second point - I loved the Devialet sound when I first heard it (and sold my Naim system within a couple of weeks of hearing Devialet) but the sound (with V8) has now changed and I'm afraid I don't like it
I have exactly the same feelings! I notice we have similar systems and I also moved away from Naim Amps for the same reasons. I'm now having Déja Vu!
Devialet 200, NAIM ND5 XS, Gyrodec, Rega Apollo-R (As Transport), Wilson Benesch Arc, Chord Cables.

NW England
(22-May-2015, 13:23)Deviant Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 19:11)PhilP Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 18:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Its interesting how differently we all hear, and what effects firmware changes have depending on system.  I feel exactly as you about v8 - to me the Devialet with v8 has gone back more towards my former Naim amp with much more mid emphasis and more 'aggressive' sound.  Not as far, but in the direction.  Yet many find it much better in their setups so I think we may well be in trouble!

If the sound presentation can change so radically (in relative terms and to my ears) with each update, then you haven't really bought into a 'Devialet sound' in my opinion, you've got a box that is going to sound however Devialet feel at the time….

Its funny that you should say that because I moved to Devialet to get away from the 'aggressive' and fatiguing Naim sound Wink  (Quick EDIT to say I do like Naim's top end systems NDS/552/500 Wink )

And I very much agree with your second point - I loved the Devialet sound when I first heard it (and sold my Naim system within a couple of weeks of hearing Devialet) but the sound (with V8) has now changed and I'm afraid I don't like it
I have exactly the same feelings! I notice we have similar systems and I also moved away from Naim Amps for the same reasons. I'm now having Déja Vu!

And a third here. I think the DSP code used in 8.0 is a step back from 7.1.3, which is a bit strange because I thought the whole purpose of 7.1.3 was to try out the new code in advance of the 8.0, but then use exactly the same DSP code if it was well received. The 8.0 code seems slightly more harsh and slightly more hollow, like just a little of the music has been sucked out.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(22-May-2015, 08:11)hahe Wrote: Did spend quite some time by now to compare v8 and 7.1.1 (did skip 7.1.3 as beta).

TRY 7.1.3 BETA!!! Then write Your opinions...
(22-May-2015, 15:12)AllenB Wrote: And a third here. I think the DSP code used in 8.0 is a step back from 7.1.3, which is a bit strange because I thought the whole purpose of 7.1.3 was to try out the new code in advance of the 8.0, but then use exactly the same DSP code if it was well received. The 8.0 code seems slightly more harsh and slightly more hollow, like just a little of the music has been sucked out.

Is it not possible that the beta 7.1.3 is in fact a later development than 8.0?  Curious numbering, but maybe Devialet didn't want to release an "8.0 beta" prior to the actual 8.0 release.  Unlikely perhaps, but not impossible.  What makes me think this is possible is the very close release date of the beta version with respect the the finalised 8.0.
Shame in a way that 'cant hear a difference' and 'undecided' aren't separate categories as there are quite a few votes and the two are quite distinctly different in my opinion. Am really curious as to how many of those people fall into each category.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

If I could I would change my vote from undecided to NO.  After realizing I was not enjoying the Devialet 200 as much as before  and I was getting fatigued, I switched back to 7.1.1 and the magic is back.
I think we should report our findings and the details of changes directly to the Devialet Customer Support as they may be unaware of experience we are getting with the new firmware
(22-May-2015, 20:02)Confused Wrote:
(22-May-2015, 15:12)AllenB Wrote: And a third here. I think the DSP code used in 8.0 is a step back from 7.1.3, which is a bit strange because I thought the whole purpose of 7.1.3 was to try out the new code in advance of the 8.0, but then use exactly the same DSP code if it was well received. The 8.0 code seems slightly more harsh and slightly more hollow, like just a little of the music has been sucked out.

Is it not possible that the beta 7.1.3 is in fact a later development than 8.0?  Curious numbering, but maybe Devialet didn't want to release an "8.0 beta" prior to the actual 8.0 release.  Unlikely perhaps, but not impossible.  What makes me think this is possible is the very close release date of the beta version with respect the the finalised 8.0.

Quite possibly, the 7.1.3 beta seems very odd in as to why it was released. Was it only about a change in the DSP code. There was no information or release notes as far as I can remember, no clue, no inkling why. Very strange. I do get the feeling that 8.0 was a major launch for Munich, releasing a beta beforehand would have tempered the fanfare for the show.

Coming from top-end Naim, I know changes in DSP can have a subtle, yet profound effect on what one hears, and I know Naim will go through up to nearly a hundred variations of DSP code sampling for one machine (NDS) before it is employed. Very time consuming. I really do not know what Dev have put into 8.0, because it certainly is not the DSP code from 7.1.3, nor even 7.1.1, well at least not to these ears. I would even question whether they have really truly listened to it in comparison with the preceding versions.

I hope it wasn't just 'thrown' in there, as to me, the DSP code is the most important thing in any firmware release, it can fundamentally change the SQ, sometimes for the worse as we seem to have with 8.0. Nice to have new bells 'n' whistles but not at the expense of sound quality.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)