Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New configurator backward compatibility
Hi 
I wonder if  New configurator  can support old devialet firmware 
Basicly I am asking if officially the new  configurator has backward compatibility with 7.x firmware
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

Good question. Because they haven't provided an alternative Configurator to the best of my knowledge then it blooming well should be backward compatible! I don't think anyone's been having issues with 7.1,1/7.1.3 with the current Configurator? (Or Le Configurateur as it now appears to be universally called).
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...9#pid17099
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I can not understand why Devialet didnt give the user option to choose
If user select firmware 7.x all new options needs to be disable automatically so the user will not need any interaction or questions .
same as the option that was before for old DP .
For me it looks like Devialet is under huge inverters business pressure .
releasing undebug product ... and far far away from the perfection they asking to present .
Devialet 400, 
Ayon Raptor S
Townshend maximum super tweeters
MAC mini ,Amarra +IRC .
Digital -Telos Audio Gold Reference MKII ,
Speakers:Analysis plus Clear Oval
Power :Graditech - Voima 1

looking at the way the config file is structured by [keyword] style sections I would expect a config file created on the new configurator to be backward compatible with any old firmware. [New sections] should either be meaningless to the old firmware and ignored; if not there would be a flood of very serious startup problem complaints, so I'm inferring from the lack of such complaints that it is, indeed, backwards compatible for the reason above.

The greying out then becomes a convenience and customer-interaction topic. it's poor to lead the customer into thinking he has to set an option_x that doesn't exist on his machine, but how does the Configurator know which firmware you have installed ? I'm not sure asking the customer to enter firmware version in the Configurator is a good model either, since there WILL be people who make errors.... probably best to do what they have done: one Configurator fits all.

I agree it's not perfect but they're treading new ground offering this in consumer hi-fi; maybe there's a better way to do this but possibly not with the current system architecture.
I believe the best way would be a real online configurator. That is the Dxxx would appear through a web setup and loads it's current information. From there users can configure on the fly with no need for SD cards and this way the true web configurator will be able to tell which firmware version the Dxxx has and accordingly offer only compatible options.

Could this be implemented let's say via an adhoc Ethernet connection ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(21-May-2015, 08:53)amabrok Wrote: I believe the best way would be a real online configurator. That is the Dxxx would appear through a web setup and loads it's current information. From there users can configure on the fly with no need for SD cards and this way the true web configurator will be able to tell which firmware version the Dxxx has and accordingly offer only compatible options.

I think that many user-friendly things will happen when Dialog gets compatible with the expert line, at least this is what I heard in Munich about the remote, so I guess the configurator too. Dialog will allow the expert line to be interfaced properly with the web directly.
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(21-May-2015, 09:40)philoouu Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 08:53)amabrok Wrote: I believe the best way would be a real online configurator. That is the Dxxx would appear through a web setup and loads it's current information. From there users can configure on the fly with no need for SD cards and this way the true web configurator will be able to tell which firmware version the Dxxx has and accordingly offer only compatible options.

I think that many user-friendly things will happen when Dialog gets compatible with the expert line, at least this is what I heard in Munich about the remote, so I guess the configurator too. Dialog will allow the expert line to be interfaced properly with the web directly.

I would not appreciate to be forced to purchase an external device to be able to configure my amplifier. I absolutely support amabrok's thoughts on a proper real time configuration tool that omits todays SD card method
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

This would be a much better approach IMHO since apart from compatibility issues it would also resolve concerns about the current configurator becoming unavailable for some reason in future.

I'd still find the ability to save the configuration in plain ASCII format useful, because it would then provide a mechanism for (external) version control of the configurations - to allow back-tracking if you make a mistake or otherwise prefer a previous configuration.

It should be possible to implement this via the existing Ethernet connection.  Mabye there would be a need to bootstrap the configuration to set IP addresses if not using DHCP.

I suppose there might not be enough non-volatile storage on the Devialet to implement the web server and all the pages needed to support a configurator similar to the one we're used to.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
One thing I ran into with reverting back to 7.1.1 with a new post 8.0.0 compatible configuration was that SAM configuration was not backwards compatible.  The amp came up with an error message that the SAM configuration was not compatible or something similar.  Now this was on the day of 8.0.0 release, so I can't confirm it is still that way.  I also did not try using 7.1.3 with a new post 8.0.0 compatible configuration, so I can't comment on that setup.  I have since tried 8.0.0 again and have now switched back to 7.1.3 with a pre 8.0.0 configurator.  I was going to do some critical listening of 7.1.3 later today to compare to 8.0.0 which I liked better than 7.1.3 initially.

If it is still the case that a current SAM enabled configuration will not work with pre 8.0.0 firmware (at least with 7.1.1), then SAM must be disabled along with DPM and ???.

Anyone experience this with new SAM (SAM2) going back to 7.1.1 or 7.1.3 ? 

Kerry 
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada