Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom : low quality at normal volume
Hello,
I own a Phantom Silver... The volume goes from 0 to 100.
From 10 to 40 : the quality is as good as a 80€ speaker (I have compared Phantom Silver to a Jambox : same quality for this volume range)
From 40 to 100 : the Phantom quality is great

I use my phantome 95% of the time between 10 to 40 : so I am very disappointed because 95% of the time I have the same quality than a Jambox (which is a lot smaller, more convenient to use, and a lot cheaper)

Volume from 40 to 100 : it is very very loud... too loud... except for a nightclub....

So before buying a Phantom Silver, make sure to hear a Phantom at low volume - and see by yourself that the sound is not good.
=> Don't buy Phantom for your home, you office
=> Buy Phantom if you own a nightclub

I would be very happy to hear about other user experience - USING Phantom between 10 to 40 volume.
Well, you should ask for a refund, then.
Or send it back as not fit for purpose.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(21-May-2015, 07:48)fabien Wrote: Hello,
From 10 to 40 : the quality is as good as a 80€ speaker (I have compared Phantom Silver to a Jambox : same quality for this volume range)
From  40 to 100 : the Phantom quality is great

I use my phantome 95% of the time between 10 to 40 : so I am very disappointed because 95% of the time I have the same quality than a Jambox (which is a lot smaller, more convenient to use, and a lot cheaper)

Volume from 40 to 100 : it is very very loud... too loud... except for a nightclub....

So before buying a Phantom Silver, make sure to hear a Phantom at low volume - and see by yourself that the sound is not good.

I would be very happy to hear about other user experience - USING Phantom between 10 to 40 volume.
(21-May-2015, 07:48)fabien Wrote: Hello,
From  40 to 100 : the Phantom quality is great

Are you kidding? The low volume quality is THE BIG thing that has sold the Phantoms to me. The quality at low volume is much better than my B&W 803D (thats why I sold the lot). I find that you get a good range of dynamic without having to make your ears bleed. I was listening to an album by SEAL the other day (streaming from Deezer) and at 15 it was more than enough to fill my room, the bass, treble etc where spot on. Brilliant!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I listen at lowish volumes also and to my ear they have everything that I would expect or want in terms of clarity and extension while seeming true to the music.

There is a "moon" icon on Spark that if selected, limits dynamic for nighttime listen. Check that's not selected (orange outlined icon), otherwise you could send them back and enjoy your Jambox while save your cash for other nice things..
Hi

Some truth here, although a bit excessive IMO ( I own a Jambox too Smile )

I think we should talk in dB at listening position - instead of volume scale in Spark - since this is too much dependent on the size of the room, listening distance to speakers and number of Phantoms.

You have to consider that under a certain listening level - I would say 50 dB average - the difference of perceived audio quality tend to reduce between speakers. And in that situation, low efficiency and larger diameter drivers are the losers here. 
Also at low levels the ear tends to have a lower perception of bass.

Phantom is obviously a very low efficiency system especially in the bass part using high displacement capable drivers which are rarely among the most sensitive. At very low volume this type of woofers are somehow too heavy to be that responsive. And in case of Phantom the woofers cover from bottom to 300 Hz... So you cannot expect an awesome listening experience at 50 dB, even though I find it still very good and way better than Jambox and many other speakers.
IMO Phantom starts to shine progressively at 65 dB and more. For example at 70 dB Phantom to my ears has no competition in similar size speakers by far. An average listening level of 75 dB gives awesome listening and we are not talking about disco level here Smile

If your goal is to have the best experience at very low level, I think you should consider - as many japanese audiophiles listening in very small rooms do - to take a look at high efficiency full range single driver speakers. In near field listening at low level they can be pretty interesting. But they will be bigger than Phantom, won't go as low in frequency and will never compete if you crank the volume up.

PH
I am surprised to read that. I have owned a Jambox in past. I really liked it, but in my opinion theres no comparing with the Phantoms. I am not suggesting you are wrong. Maybe you your Phantom have some issue.
The two Phantoms I have in my room are excellent! On level 5, 10, 20, 30 50 or all the way to 70. Above that I have no idea really. Simply because thats way too loud. Only thing I can complain about is that between 8 and 10 there is a very steep dropoff in sound level. Too steep in my opinion. But quality wise I have not the same experience as you are writing. Currently listening to BB King at lvl 15 and its just perfect.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Happy Phantom user since april 2015 (currently 2 Gold Phantom, Dialog, Branch/Tree) with Tidal hifi.
I am not hearing this at all. I would say they are one of the best if not the best speakers I have heard at low volume. I would suggest you either have a bad speaker or they are not suitable for the room or how you have them set up.
Interesting thread. Appreciate it as I tend to listen at 65 db or less. When working, sometimes around 50-55db. So this thread is pertinent.

I do wonder if it is room dependent.