Poll: Which streaming input sounds best to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
USB
35.40%
57 35.40%
AIR WiFi
14.29%
23 14.29%
AIR Ethernet
44.10%
71 44.10%
UPnP
6.21%
10 6.21%
Total 161 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which streaming input on the Devialet sounds best to you?
(03-Jun-2014, 20:44)Mohmm Wrote: In your list you forgot to mention the XLR (AES/EBU) input. Imo this is the best when I feed it via firewire/Weiss INT203/XLR cable from my MacPro. Alternatively I use ethernet as being nearly equivalent in quality. XLR, though, is still a tick more detailed and clearer in micro dynamics.

In terms of software PureMusic is the app of choice when feeding the INT203 even though its user interface is a bit oldfashioned. It does gapless without a hitch while I never saw the other players for Mac perform flawlessly in my environment.

For my taste the wireless option depends too much on the density of wireless traffic in the neighbourhood.

Hi Mohmm, I didn't consider the AES/EBU input a streaming input as you need a device other than the Devialet. UPnP was added to the poll by Guillaume (he asked first). But it doesn't matter, thanks for sharing your findings! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I've votes Ethernet. A while ago I tested all the different streaming options, using just iTunes (without Audirvana). From worst to best I found: USB, AIR WiFi, AIR Ethernet. Currently I'm using USB because with iTunes I use Audirvana, which isn't compatible with AIR. And it sound a bit better than AIR Ethernet using only iTunes.
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Thanks for sharing Eddye! Smile

Earlier I wrote I would test the different inputs myself as well but I haven't got to that yet. Also on computeraudiophile.com I've read way too much about tweaking the music server when using USB (while there seems to be no real need for that when using ethernet). I've read about special SATA cables, SATA filters, separate USB PCIe interface cards, 3 way/voltage linear PSU's, special motherboards, motherboard clock replacements etc. etc. etc. which isn't really a path I'd like to take. It's too much 'OCD' for me! Big Grin
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Well, I am thinking about ordering a Linear Powersupply for my Mac Mini. That should give a boost in sound quality. Smile
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
It might be worth experimenting on a cheap USB cable. Strip out the 5V power line, and you should in effect have isolated the Dev from any upstream power nasties.

I haven't tried this myself, so can't vouch for its effectiveness.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(10-Jun-2014, 19:51)Jwg1749 Wrote: It might be worth experimenting on a cheap USB cable. Strip out the 5V power line, and you should in effect have isolated the Dev from any upstream power nasties.

Matt

I read somewhere this wasn't very effective, can't remember where though. Do you use USB with you MM?

The Netherlands
(10-Jun-2014, 17:33)Eddye Wrote: I've votes Ethernet. A while ago I tested all the different streaming options, using just iTunes (without Audirvana). From worst to best I found: USB, AIR WiFi, AIR Ethernet. Currently I'm using USB because with iTunes I use Audirvana, which isn't compatible with AIR. And it sound a bit better than AIR Ethernet using only iTunes.

Eddye,
Audirvama and air works, if you fiddle with the options of A+. I was using that setup prior to moving to pc and jplay.
Just disable all 4 options in the setup (bit perfect etc), then try enabling them one by one.

Cheers.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(10-Jun-2014, 20:10)Kunter Wrote:
(10-Jun-2014, 17:33)Eddye Wrote: I've votes Ethernet. A while ago I tested all the different streaming options, using just iTunes (without Audirvana). From worst to best I found: USB, AIR WiFi, AIR Ethernet. Currently I'm using USB because with iTunes I use Audirvana, which isn't compatible with AIR. And it sound a bit better than AIR Ethernet using only iTunes.

Eddye,
Audirvama and air works, if you fiddle with the options of A+. I was using that setup prior to moving to pc and jplay.
Just disable all 4 options in the setup (bit perfect etc), then try enabling them one by one.

Cheers.
Do you mean in the AIR app or in Audirvana?

The Netherlands
(10-Jun-2014, 20:04)Eddye Wrote:
(10-Jun-2014, 19:51)Jwg1749 Wrote: It might be worth experimenting on a cheap USB cable. Strip out the 5V power line, and you should in effect have isolated the Dev from any upstream power nasties.

Matt

I read somewhere this wasn't very effective, can't remember where though. Do you use USB with you MM?

I used to stream direct from my NAS (Synology DS213J) via USB, but now I have JRiver running on dedicated Windows machine over ethernet.

TBH the main motivation for switching from USB wasn't SQ: it was the clunky NAS control point, which I grew to hate.

JRiver is a fantastic way of organizing music, especially if, like me, you have a large classical collection with complex tagging. And the JRemote iPad app is just stunning.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(10-Jun-2014, 20:23)Eddye Wrote:
(10-Jun-2014, 20:10)Kunter Wrote:

Eddye,

Cheers.
Do you mean in the AIR app or in Audirvana?

Play with the settings of Audirvana...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey