Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jriver and Devialet
I have a Macbook Air wired on a new Airport Express. My devialet 250 is also wired on the same Airport Express. My iTunes music library is on my Synology NAS 213+ (Wired also to Airport Express.). My entire music collection is in Apple Lossless (ALAC).

Here's the problem: When I listen to a playlist (m3u imported or manually on the spur of the momement) for a few minutes (time varies) one of the musical pieces starts playing very quickly like the chipmunks singing. What can I do to remedy the situation? Please help! I don't have this problem with iTunes but I don't want to use it because my music library is too big (3000 albums).

Sorry for my bad english.
Devialet 800. Dynaudio Focus 340. Transparent MusicWave Super speaker cable. Rega P3 turntable. Naim NAT05 XS with Flatcap XS.
(15-Aug-2014, 15:36)Beajuju Wrote: I have a Macbook Air wired on a new Airport Express. My devialet 250 is also wired on the same Airport Express. My iTunes music library is on my Synology NAS 213+ (Wired also to Airport Express.). My entire music collection is in Apple Lossless (ALAC).

Here's the problem: When I listen to a playlist (m3u imported or manually on the spur of the momement) for a few minutes (time varies) one of the musical pieces starts playing very quickly like the chipmunks singing. What can I do to remedy the situation? Please help! I don't have this problem with iTunes but I don't want to use it because my music library is too big (3000 albums).

Chipmunks visit my home as well from time to time when I am using Audirvana.

I wrote this to Devialet and their answer was:

"We are actually aware of this issue and our team of engineers is working on it.
They did gather a lot of informations in order to solve the issue.

Please be sure that when we will find a way to improve the usage of those application with our product, we will probably release it in an update."
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(16-Aug-2014, 12:37)Kunter Wrote:
(15-Aug-2014, 15:36)Beajuju Wrote: I have a Macbook Air wired on a new Airport Express. My devialet 250 is also wired on the same Airport Express. My iTunes music library is on my Synology NAS 213+ (Wired also to Airport Express.). My entire music collection is in Apple Lossless (ALAC).

Chipmunks visit my home as well from time to time when I am using Audirvana.

I wrote this to Devialet and their answer was:

"We are actually aware of this issue and our team of engineers is working on it.
They did gather a lot of informations in order to solve the issue.

Please be sure that when we will find a way to improve the usage of those application with our product, we will probably release it in an update."

Thank you for the information. In the meantime, I use the USB input with JRiver and i have no Chipmunks in my listening room. Until now.... : )
Devialet 800. Dynaudio Focus 340. Transparent MusicWave Super speaker cable. Rega P3 turntable. Naim NAT05 XS with Flatcap XS.
Regarding NASes and potential issues with Windows and Samba interoperability, it's worth looking at some of the Samba settings. I have to admit I haven't dealt with this for years but common problems used to involve oplocks settings. The whole setup may be a whole lot more mature now though, and I rarely see mentions of issues with this nowadays.
Going back to volumes, I have the following settings:

Device is Devialet AIR (WASAPI)
I *don't* have maximize device volume during playpack set (the default)
Bitdepth Automatic (default)
Volume Mode: System Volume

Have we ascertained System Volume is the optimal? I'm puzzled how this operates in tandem with 'maximimize device volume during playback' which sounds on the face of it to be something that might be desirable.
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum, but not to the Devialet which I've owned since December, a 170 now 200. After having used MediaMonkey for over a decade (since Version 2), I have now switched to JRiver because I had a few discs in DSD file format I wanted to hear. And I do hear them and they sound very well. However, I don't understand how I can hear them as the Devialet is not (yet, I read) able to play DSD. Are they converted or packaged into PCM by JRiver? Excuse my ignorance on format issues.
Devialet 440 Pro C.I., Innuos Zen Mk3, Origin Live Calypso with Illustrious arm and Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge, KEF Reference 3, Vertere speaker cables and interconnects, 2 Nanotech 309 power cables for the 440, GigaWatt power strip and cables
Hello Digitalhead. The short answer : Jriver by default converts DSD automatically to PCM.

The long answer : http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format

Hope this helps.
Hi Digitalhead, first welcome to the forum! JRMC converts DSD to PCM unless you enable the 'Bitstreaming' option and set it to DSD in settings under 'Audio' or configure 'DoP' (DSD over PCM). Devialet does indeed not yet accept native DSD into it's inputs/AIR.

More info: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format

(22-Aug-2014, 18:47)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Going back to volumes, I have the following settings:

Device is Devialet AIR (WASAPI)
I *don't* have maximize device volume during playpack set (the default)
Bitdepth Automatic (default)
Volume Mode: System Volume

Have we ascertained System Volume is the optimal? I'm puzzled how this operates in tandem with 'maximimize device volume during playback' which sounds on the face of it to be something that might be desirable.

If possible always disable volume control in the digital domain.

I have chosen 'disable volume control', 'volume protection' disabled and 'maximum volume' set to 100. Configured like this you can only change the volume using the physical remote or remote app.

If Devialet AIR is your default output device I don't think 'system volume' is a bad setting as well, as the volume control of Devialet AIR corresponds directly to the Devialet volume control. If however another sound card/device is default you'll lose bit perfect plackback since you'll then attenuate the volume in the digital domain.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hi Antoine and Georgethesixth,

thanks for your replies. This explains why I can listen to DSD files without the Devialet being able to play native DSD (yet). Another question: Is there any degradation in sound quality due to this conversion into PCM? I noticed in the Audio Path window of the MC that the signal is resampled from 352,8 KHz to 176,4 KHZ. So that might make adifference, at least in theory. But is anything else being 'lost in translation?'
Devialet 440 Pro C.I., Innuos Zen Mk3, Origin Live Calypso with Illustrious arm and Soundsmith Zephyr cartridge, KEF Reference 3, Vertere speaker cables and interconnects, 2 Nanotech 309 power cables for the 440, GigaWatt power strip and cables
Technically there sure is a degradation in quality as information is in effect "thrown away" due to the down sampling. Also PCM works differently than DSD. PCM gives you "discrete samples" where DSD is a serial bitstream in which every bit indicates if the signal has a higher or lower amplitude compared to the previous bit. If, however, all this translate into a difference that can be heard is subject to general and open debate, more or less everywhere. Smile I really don't know as I have little experience with DSD, but actually doubt it.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands