Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos via Optical in on Dialog ?
(25-May-2015, 17:22)thumb5 Wrote: McChicken

Sorry if I misunderstood; I think it was the phrase "but then I hope to be able to control all via Sonos" that threw me... Smile
thumb5
Na... not your fault I did not write specific enough
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
(25-May-2015, 20:14)McChicken Wrote: Thanks Superstock..
exactly the info I need...do you have any drop-outs or other Phantom / Dialog system issues specifically related to the Optical input on the DIALOG ( as that is the way I would like to connect my Sonos Audio source)

Main problem will be audio delay, but depending of your use.

Do not expect to have a Sonos Group with Phantoms and others Sonos devices playing same content at the same time.

Typical Sonos delay is around 70ms (50ms with the playbar, HomeCinema need less for lipsync).

I've read on these forums that Phantom delay is more than 200ms so unusable to have them play music in sync.
(26-May-2015, 08:58)denis Wrote:
(25-May-2015, 20:14)McChicken Wrote: Thanks Superstock..
exactly the info I need...do you have any drop-outs or other Phantom / Dialog system issues specifically related to the Optical input on the DIALOG ( as that is the way I would like to connect my Sonos Audio source)

Main problem will be audio delay, but depending of your use.

Do not expect to have a Sonos Group with Phantoms and others Sonos devices playing same content at the same time.

Typical Sonos delay is around 70ms (50ms with the playbar, HomeCinema need less for lipsync).

I've read on these forums that Phantom delay is more than 200ms so unusable to have them play music in sync.
Thanks Superstock...Very important info, as I do have 4 different Sonos Groups ( rooms) so then I know IF I will buy a Pair of Phantoms (+ Dialog) they need to be used as a stand-alone system. 
Not being able to play several groups in sync at the same time will be disappointing, as I do that a lot.
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
Hi, I have a number of Sonos Connect players and multiple Phantoms. I use the output of one Sonos into a Phantom or Dialog and distribute (grouped) to 2 pairs of Phantoms in my home. No delay between speakers. You may have sync problems if you have a mixture of Phantons and non Phantom equipment ( Sonos Play 1,3 or 5 ZP Amps Or connect units into other amplifiers) as with Sonos, Phantoms have their own processing delay.
(26-May-2015, 12:20)superstock Wrote: You may have sync problems if you have a mixture of Phantons and non Phantom equipment ( Sonos Play 1,3 or 5 ZP Amps Or connect units into other amplifiers) 

Thanks got it..
At present I use a number of Sonos connect hooked up to a number of Bang & Olufsen active speakers, as well Modified Sonos Connect one high-end systems, the plastic Sonos play 1/3/5 are use in bathrooms only.
Question: when you use the Sonos connect directly connected to the Phantom(s) I assume you have them as (1pc) mono set-up ?
When I setup my system I'm presented with 5 optical inputs to assign, 4 Phantoms plus the Dialog. To Assign name labels to these inputs it's done by selecting the input, the Phantom responds to selecting it in the spark app so you know which one you are assigning. The dialog is the only one that does nothing so by default you know which one it is. note you cannot at present change the assigned name without going through a full setup. I made this mistake once by accepting the default "other source" for all input.
I have connected my Sonos to a Phantom which was in a stereo pair and the Dialog box (not at the same time mind). Both distribute the signal to any Phantom in the system, stereo of dual monos (which I did to check levels once).
I believe that each Phantom receives the full digital data from any of the 5 digital inputs (in my case) and does what it needs to depending on it's own configuation. Be it a mono/dual mono or Stereo arranged pair.

I also have my turntable connected to a separate Sonos connect, to digitize the output for replay through my Phantoms. Not HiFi quality but it's a start. I would be looking to find a better HiFi solution in the future, maybe a Metric Halo ULN2 but would be interested if others have alternative suggestions.