Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HQPlayer
(14-Feb-2017, 16:05)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hello all just thought I would reawake this thread given the interesting discussions going on in the Upsampling in Roon 1.3...

Would members care to share their HQPlayer settings here?

Also details of how you are running HQPlayer: hardware, integration with Roon etc.

Guillaume

An excellent idea to continue discussion on this thread.

I'm having a windows 10 desktop computer (i7 6700K, 16Gb RAM, 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD boot drive, 1TB SSD for music) which is running Roon Server, HQPlayer, AIR 3.0.2 and Process Lasso.

I have enabled convolution in the HQPlayer.

I haven't tried all different HQPlayer settings yet but currently I'm using these:
- Buffer time: 100 ms
- PCM upsampling: 192 khz, poly-sinc-shrt-mp, NS9
- DSD64 upsampling: poly-sinc-shrt-mp, DSD7

Everything works just fine.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(15-Feb-2017, 07:01)petrik Wrote:
(14-Feb-2017, 20:28)octaviars Wrote: In this 30 day trial is it just me that gets HQ Player to behave like this, the sound comes and goes? At first I thougt that is was because it is a test version but how can you test it when it behaves like this? Everything works with Roon and Air through HQ Player just this sound, silence, sound, silence is bloody anoying..... Huh

Did you try setting a buffer time in the HQPlayer, like 100 ms for example? That solved a similar problem in my environment. I hope it works for you, too.

No that I have missed, will try that when I get home from work.

Edit: 100ms did the trick, no more pauses in the sound no I can try HQ Player Smile
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(15-Feb-2017, 09:29)octaviars Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 07:01)petrik Wrote:
(14-Feb-2017, 20:28)octaviars Wrote: In this 30 day trial is it just me that gets HQ Player to behave like this, the sound comes and goes? At first I thougt that is was because it is a test version but how can you test it when it behaves like this? Everything works with Roon and Air through HQ Player just this sound, silence, sound, silence is bloody anoying..... Huh

Did you try setting a buffer time in the HQPlayer, like 100 ms for example? That solved a similar problem in my environment. I hope it works for you, too.

Edit: 100ms did the trick, no more pauses in the sound no I can try HQ Player Smile

That's good to hear Smile What's your initial impression of the sound quality?
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
(16-Feb-2017, 08:23)petrik Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 09:29)octaviars Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 07:01)petrik Wrote: Did you try setting a buffer time in the HQPlayer, like 100 ms for example? That solved a similar problem in my environment. I hope it works for you, too.

Well I did not do that much listening as one of my little boys got sick so most of the evening was spent cleaning up womit  Sad

But I feel that DSD 64 is a bit softer perhaps a little bit more relaxed not in a bad way with my Focals. I need to try more but HQ Player seems to be the "shit" when it comes to upsampling.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(16-Feb-2017, 09:23)octaviars Wrote:
(16-Feb-2017, 08:23)petrik Wrote:
(15-Feb-2017, 09:29)octaviars Wrote: No that I have missed, will try that when I get home from work.

Well I did not do that much listening as one of my little boys got sick so most of the evening was spent cleaning up womit  Sad

But I feel that DSD 64 is a bit softer perhaps a little bit more relaxed not in a bad way with my Focals. I need to try more but HQ Player seems to be the "shit" when it comes to upsampling.

Ok, I totally understand. You got quite a challenging evening then. I hope you all are better now.

Please take your time on testing. It will be interested in to hear your thoughts about HQPlayer and the most optimal settings with Devialet.
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
Playing with HQPlayer for the first time, so far the following is my favorite.

PCM upsampling: 192 khz, poly-sinc-ext, NS9

poly-sinc-ext only does x2 upsampling, FWIW.

Warm, full and ever so slightly takes the edge off things. Pretty enjoyable to listen to. Just shutdown Roonbridge and replaced with HQPlayer in network mode.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(04-Mar-2017, 01:12)Dr Tone Wrote: Playing with HQPlayer for the first time, so far the following is my favorite.

poly-sinc-ext only does 2x upsampling, FWIW.

Warm, full and ever so slightly takes the edge off things. Pretty enjoyable to listen to. Just shutdown Roonbridge and replaced with HQPlayer in network mode.

DrTone, are you sure about poly-sinc-ext only doing 2x upsampling? It's the one I use, and I can upsample from 44.1 to 176. Most surely you mean it does power of 2 upsampling, but I did check with the Dev and it says 176 or 192 depending on original feed.

Thanks!

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-Mar-2017, 02:06)LBameule Wrote:
(04-Mar-2017, 01:12)Dr Tone Wrote: Playing with HQPlayer for the first time, so far the following is my favorite.

poly-sinc-ext only does 2x upsampling, FWIW.

Warm, full and ever so slightly takes the edge off things.  Pretty enjoyable to listen to.  Just shutdown Roonbridge and replaced with HQPlayer in network mode.

DrTone, are you sure about poly-sinc-ext only doing 2x upsampling? It's the one I use, and I can upsample from 44.1 to 176. Most surely you mean it does power of 2 upsampling, but I did check with the Dev and it says 176 or 192 depending on original feed.

Thanks!

L

Sorry, I mean power of 2 for sure. I guess that would be x2 not 2x.

How do you like poly-sinc-ext?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Also feel hqplayer doing DSD to PCM conversion sounds better than the Devialet or Roon doing it.

Default poly-short-lin filter. 6db boost.

I'm only using a 50msec buffer and all is fine.

I like poly-sinc-ext a lot, wide, open but no lack of details. The other filter that I especially liked was the closed form one.

I'm not doing any conversion from DSD to PCM, I pass it through so the Dev actually manages the DSD flow itself. I may try you suggestion, though, not hard to try...

Thanks, cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk