Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Weak Companion/Right Channel on Monoblocks
(02-Jun-2015, 08:46)f1eng Wrote: Have you tried a true mono recording and see if the image is central?

I have the Stereophile test cd 2 which has a track for imaging and also check the imaging when in balance mode (default mono).  In both cases the image is centred.

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Maybe just a stupid thought, but does it help if you increase the relative level on the left channel by changing it at the slave unit speaker settings in the devialet configurator? If I understand correctly, that should make it possible to increase the level of that channel.

grts

P
(02-Jun-2015, 21:49)Pascal Wrote: Maybe just a stupid thought, but does it help if you increase the relative level on the left channel by changing it at the slave unit speaker settings in the devialet configurator? If I understand correctly, that should make it possible to increase the level of that channel.

grts

P

This is possible, but I haven't tried it because I assume it will shift the centre image as well.

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
that's probably correct, though it would be interesting to check if, (and at what volume increase) you can hear the missing info from the right channel back into the mix.

P
Today I tried swapping the left and right channels on my D400s by making the master output the RH channel information and the slave output the LH channel on the configurator, then swapping speaker connections, so I effect I was using the master to drive the RH speaker and the slave to drive the LH speaker.  My CDP is still connected to the master via SP/DIF Digital 2 and the master and slave are connected via my Audioprana hybrid SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable.

At the request of Devialet support, I also disabled SAM and set my tone controls to zero.

With this setup, one would have expected the RHS characteristics to have manifested themselves on left channel in some form, and perhaps some of the relative LHS characteristics to swap channels as well.

Amazingly, The subtle weakness on the RHS was still there.  

I had assumed that either the link cable or the slave unit would be to blame, but this is clearly not the case.

Once again, setting up the Master as a D200, the slight loss in presence and detail on the RHS with the D400 was gone, and a more coherent stereo presentation existed.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks

Kerry
Here is Devialet support's response to my issue:

Dear Kerry,
Thank you for doing this cross-testing.
Apparently it seems that it is more linked to the difference that exists between a Stereo block and Dual-mono.
In fact it can come from the fact that there is more definition on the 400 and we are not used to have this kind of dynamics on The 200.
If you try it on a Devialet 800 it can also be quite astonishing at the first listening, because this reserve of power can segment the instrument in a very precise way.
The 400 compared to The 800 can also sound smoother, softer and more analytic.
I listened to the Dave Holland Quintet's "Juggler's Parade" and it happens to me that this is the kind of effect that you are experiencing.
I agree that this can lead to the segmentation of various instrument "on stage" but if you analyse the recording it is actually more "real" or more accurate to the recording.
You must know that we already discuss about this with the engineer and it is a result that they also noticed. Thank you for your feedback anyway.
Regards
Support Team

Its a little difficult to interpret their 'frenglish' Smile but they seem to think that the presentation of the D400 is closer to the recording than the D200.

Kerry
Incidentally by default (it can be set to stereo in the configuration) when you adjust the balance it'll set everything to mono which can make diagnosis easier. Just thought I'd throw this moderately useful bit of info in as its proved handy to me once or twice.
(10-Jun-2015, 00:16)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Incidentally by default (it can be set to stereo in the configuration) when you adjust the balance it'll set everything to mono which can make diagnosis easier. Just thought I'd throw this moderately useful bit of info in as its proved handy to me once or twice.

Well, I feel that the best balance (using Chesky Test CD Vol 1) is with the balance set between 5 and 10. This helps with the issue some.

Kerry
(09-Jun-2015, 23:47)MusicFirst Wrote: Here is Devialet support's response to my issue:

Dear Kerry,
Thank you for doing this cross-testing.
Apparently it seems that it is more linked to the difference that exists between a Stereo block and Dual-mono.
In fact it can come from the fact that there is more definition on the 400 and we are not used to have this kind of dynamics on The 200.
If you try it on a Devialet 800 it can also be quite astonishing at the first listening, because this reserve of power can segment the instrument in a very precise way.
The 400 compared to The 800 can also sound smoother, softer and more analytic.
I listened to the Dave Holland Quintet's "Juggler's Parade" and it happens to me that this is the kind of effect that you are experiencing.
I agree that this can lead to the segmentation of various instrument "on stage" but if you analyse the recording it is actually more "real" or more accurate to the recording.
You must know that we already discuss about this with the engineer and it is a result that they also noticed. Thank you for your feedback anyway.
Regards
Support Team

Its a little difficult to interpret their 'frenglish'  Smile but they seem to think that the presentation of the D400 is closer to the recording than the D200.

Kerry

I've already shared this with Kerry but thought I would post on here too.

I have played Dave Holland Quintet's "Juggler's Parade" through the master unit only set up as a 250 and compared it to my usual 800 configuration.

First of all what a track! Fantastic jazz with great musicianship and sound quality. Highly recommended.

It was a little strange going back to the 250, although at first listen I was surprised at how good it sounded. Was also surprised at how high I had to turn the volume up (compared to my usual 800), at least 10db points more on the remote. 

Auditory memory is a funny thing since it was really only when I reverted back to my 800 setup that I realised quite what I was missing: a larger soundstage, better grip and delicacy of notes, more tonal texture in brass and double bass, better separation of instruments... I could go on! 

Now the track in question and the issue of the weaker RHS speaker. To my ears I could not detect this. I did notice that with the 250 the soundstage was perhaps a little flatter with instruments standing behind an imaginary line on the stage. With the 800 as the soundstage expanded instruments took different positions (with the brass section moving noticeably forward on the left hand side) and it was true that perhaps the drummer (on the right) had moved backwards a step or two. It certainly didn't sound like a weakness on my system.

Marvellous piece of music, thanks again to Kerry for sharing this.  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I have used my v8 D800 very extensively but did not hear this effect.