Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Weak Companion/Right Channel on Monoblocks
This all reminds me of something I experienced when I installed my first 'audiophile' grade amplifier. The differences were quite big but one of the strangest effects of plugging in this new amp was that the soundstage/L-R balance pulled to one side where it was, or seemed to be, centered before. As it showed out the reason for this was an 'error' (as in not accurate enough) speaker placement setup.

Just hypothesizing here but could there be a similar issue at play here?
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(10-Jun-2015, 16:15)Antoine Wrote: This all reminds me of something I experienced when I installed my first 'audiophile' grade amplifier. The differences were quite big but one of the strangest effects of plugging in this new amp was that the soundstage/L-R balance pulled to one side where it was, or seemed to be, centered before. As it showed out the reason for this was an 'error' (as in not accurate enough) speaker placement setup.

Just hypothesizing here but could there be a similar issue at play here?

Assuming you have a perfect triangle represented by these two speakers positions and the listening sweet spot would this still apply? Or could it be an error as in for example while the triangle is still equilateral but one speaker is closer to a wall or a corner which makes it more boomy or louder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Well as far as the speakers and listening chair, they are equidistant from each other and the speakers are aimed so that the tweeter axes hit the upper corners of the listening chair. I aim them and measure them using a laser measurement device accurate to + 2mm mounted on a tripod.

Unfortunately there is some furniture on the outside of either speaker which is not symmetric and contributes to some unevenness in the soundstage, but I've never had this apparent weakness with previous amplifiers and these speakers.

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
I also always had the feeling that the master driven channel was louder. I did some measurements with Carma (audionet) which tells me that the slave has a 0,07ms delay. Both speakers have the same distance to the listening position, maybe a few cm difference). 0,07ms is 20cm.
I have added a delay to the master channel (right channel in my setup) using the jriver dsp. With 0,04ms delay the measurement shows no difference between right and left channel anymore. And now I think it is well balanced. Maybe the master is not compensating the signal processing until it reaches the slave ?
(27-Jun-2015, 09:33)Vivialet Wrote: I also always had the feeling that the master driven channel was louder. I did some measurements with Carma (audionet) which tells me that the slave has a 0,07ms delay. Both speakers have the same distance to the listening position, maybe a few cm difference). 0,07ms is 20cm.
I have added a delay to the master channel (right channel in my setup) using the jriver dsp. With 0,04ms delay the measurement shows no difference between right and left channel anymore. And now I think it is well balanced. Maybe the master is not compensating the signal processing until it reaches the slave ?

One would assume that the new custom delay feature of the new v8.1.2 could sort this out without the need to rely on jriver or the like.
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(27-Jun-2015, 10:24)amabrok Wrote:
(27-Jun-2015, 09:33)Vivialet Wrote: I also always had the feeling that the master driven channel was louder. I did some measurements with Carma (audionet) which tells me that the slave has a 0,07ms delay. Both speakers have the same distance to the listening position, maybe a few cm difference). 0,07ms is 20cm.

One would assume that the new custom delay feature of the new v8.1.2 could sort this out without the need to rely on jriver or the like.

But how to set the value?

Does the configurator allow this?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket

I think there is an error there: unless I'm wrong 0,07ms is about 2cm at sound velocity. 20cm is 0,7ms.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(27-Jun-2015, 16:12)Jean-Marie Wrote:

I think there is an error there: unless I'm wrong 0,07ms is about 2cm at sound velocity. 20cm is 0,7ms.

i think he missed a zero by mistake in his calculation - im with you.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(28-Jun-2015, 00:18)completeluxury Wrote:
(27-Jun-2015, 16:12)Jean-Marie Wrote:

i think he missed a zero by mistake in his calculation - im with you.
I think it would be interesting to get confirmation. Because if it is 2cm and 0,07ms then that can easily be the geometry without any particular delay induced by the electronics, while if it is 0,7ms the electronics is most certainly involved.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Just wanted to report that I have the same effect as the original poster. D400, running original digital cable, Mac Mini. The right channel seems to lack oomph, but somehow the image is central in mono and on mostly-mono recordings. Very annoying!
The whole thing still sounds great, but once you notice this detail, it becomes obvious on more recordings and takes a bit of the shine off these amazing amps....
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.