Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distance between master and slave
Hi, an thinking about upgrading my amps to D800's.  My speakers are roughly 18 feet apart and I wonder if that is too far or will in need to invest in longer speaker cables in order to let the two amps sit closer together.  Any thoughts?  There seems to be a lot of discussion on the right cable to use for optimal sound, but I've not seen much discussion on the maximum length before clocks/timing is affected.

Thank you.  Hammer
Clocks / timing will not be an issue. With electric signals in a cable running at more that 50% of the speed of light, 18' is not much. Signal quality and interference might be more of an issue, but with a decent cable, all should work fine. It might be interesting to send a query to Devialet with respect to this issue.
Hammer, how far apart did you wind up going if you got the 800? I too am interested in what distance works.
My 400 boxes are about 11 feet apart and connected with SPDIF.  No problems of any kind.

Best wishes in your application.

ralph411
PS Audio P20 (2) and Power Bases (2), Aurender ACS10, Devialet 400, Martin Logan Neolith, Audioquest Wild & Diamond, Synergistic: Tranq  Base, FEQ, HFT, Black Box, Active Ground Block, Devialet Special Cords, Dedicated 20 amp circuits, Cryoed Romex.
Thanks.
What cable you used to replace the original?
Currently using a standard Blue Jeans Cable SPDIF 14 foot length. Also tried top line Audioquest. Both sound better than standard Crystal Cable. BJC is well made, ships quickly, and is available in any length. BJC is very flexible, which is important since the cable runs in conduit.
PS Audio P20 (2) and Power Bases (2), Aurender ACS10, Devialet 400, Martin Logan Neolith, Audioquest Wild & Diamond, Synergistic: Tranq  Base, FEQ, HFT, Black Box, Active Ground Block, Devialet Special Cords, Dedicated 20 amp circuits, Cryoed Romex.
Did the BJC or AudioQuest sound better if they sounded different?
No difference in my system for this application.
(16-Mar-2016, 16:46)ralph411 Wrote: No difference in my system for this application.

my master and slave are more than 3m apart - no issues have been observed