Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does anyone use subwoofers in their setup?
(28-Jul-2015, 10:41)Antoine Wrote: If there aren't (m)any issues in bass reproduction for a given room/loudspeaker/loudspeaker placement combination then a sub can't help to fix issues that aren't there! Wink

Setting up a subwoofer the -right way- isn't easy though. IMO measurements are mandatory.

Personally I prefer low level connections (feeding the sub a pre-out/sub-out input) instead of the high level (feeding the sub using the main LS outputs). It gives you the possibility to employ crossover filters, delay, etc.

Funny you should say that, because I originally thought that too, yet both Ox Audio and REL's docs seem to suggest that the REL is better with High Level for some reason, indeed there is a REL Setup doc that goes to great length expousing HL setup for Monoblocks etc here:

http://rel.net/support/rel-set-up/

Must admit, I really didn't get a heck of a lot of time to fiddle given the son and his betrothed turning up for the weekend, so maybe I have not had enough time to give it the attention that it deserves... Only be able to really spend time next sunday, but don't want to pea-off OA...
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
It could be just me wanting all possible controls available! Smile Also in a way we've spend a lot to buy the best bass our budgets allowed for before we bought (a) subwoofer(s) so for most it would be 'counter intuitive' to (partly) disable bass reproduction by the main loudspeakers. I for example employ a second order (12dB) high pass filter @ 80Hz to my main loudspeakers as it gave me the best results but it renders my woofers almost 'obsolete' (they now only work in the ~80-200Hz region)

Every room and system differs so there really is no fixed set of rules. That's also why I always "advise" people to find an installer with lots of experience in this field who also uses a measurement system to see if (and where and how!) a/more sub(s) could be beneficial and then dials in the system optimally. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
ive seen how far my speaker excursion is playing low frequencies. even if my speakers can go that low there is no way that they have as good a response as a proper subwoofer designed for those frequencies
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Yes I agree, smaller bass drivers do tend to distort more and sooner than purpose built heavy LF subdrivers. But of course it also depends on the room (room modes and it's cubic volume) how 'hard' you'd have to drive those woofers. Of course with subs there's really no overkill possible in my view (within reason of course Smile) but I can also imagine people being happy with the bass output of smaller loudspeakers, especially in smaller rooms that 'play nice' acoustically seen.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
mm i have to play with my system over the weekend. ive got a 40hz room mode. its either 10 or 15db so should be fun.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(28-Jul-2015, 13:07)completeluxury Wrote: mm i have to play with my system over the weekend. ive got a 40hz room mode. its either 10 or 15db  so should be fun.

DUCK! - Whoosh! - What was that? Huh

Looks Like I have a LOT to learn! Confused
Mind you, if only these things smelt of petrol/oil and had 8 very big cylinders.... I'd be in my element! Wink
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
(28-Jul-2015, 17:26)teddlesdee Wrote:
(28-Jul-2015, 13:07)completeluxury Wrote: mm i have to play with my system over the weekend. ive got a 40hz room mode. its either 10 or 15db  so should be fun.

DUCK! - Whoosh! - What was that?    Huh  

Looks Like I have a LOT to learn!  Confused
Mind you, if only these things smelt of petrol/oil and had 8 very big cylinders.... I'd be in my element! 

Yes went a little over my head too Smile

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
ok so basically ive set my room up pretty well at the moment so that i have a pretty constant and linear system in regards to the sound output at all frequencies.

a 40 hz room mode means that at 40 hz, the system is 10 to 15 db louder than the other frequencies (and we all know that a 10db increase is actually double the volume)

ill take some photos over the weekend when im working on my system to demonstrate what i mean and how it looks when measured on software
(28-Jul-2015, 22:54)completeluxury Wrote: ok so basically ive set my room up pretty well at the moment so that i have a pretty constant and linear system in regards to the sound output at all frequencies.

a 40 hz room mode means that at 40 hz, the system is 10 to 15 db louder than the other frequencies (and we all know that a 10db increase is actually double the volume)

ill take some photos over the weekend when im working on my system to demonstrate what i mean and how it looks when measured on software

Out of interest, what software are you using for the in room frequency measurements? 

I look forward to the pics!
im using acourate.

i see a lot of people use acourate and REW which is free because it shows things slightly different but to be honest im having trouble enough just learning how to use the one program to its full extent!