Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active crossover feature
(04-Jun-2015, 22:22)mirekti Wrote:
(04-Jun-2015, 21:58)ogs Wrote: Then you'd need a DEQX HDP-5 with Reference Calibration Kit for speaker unit correction and advanced cross over design. The built in cross over function in the Devialet amps would be inadequate for this task as it does not contain group delay correction or equalising for individual drive units. The difficulty getting this to sound good would be massive.

Wouldn't it work with a basic Devialet crossover feature, and than bringing the speakers to a dealer equipped with SAM lab?

I doubt that very much.
SAM lab does not do full range correction the way we'd need it here I think. Would be a very expensive experiment  if you buy everything and then find you can not make it sound good!
Don't get me wrong. I am all for electronic (or digital) cross overs, but without the intelligence built into a DEQX a normal audiophile will have difficulties making good sound.
It would be much easier to guarantee good sound with a single D200 and YG-Acoustics Carmel 2 or Hailey. If Devialet keeps their promise and lets us use the DSP for room correction filters we'd be even better off.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(04-Jun-2015, 22:53)Confused Wrote: Maybe Devialet do have the technology to make a small, low cost multi channel amp, if they really wanted to?

That would really be great from my perspective. One can see more and more products like this http://www.minidsp.com/
Not sure if you had a chance to see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obNMUhVq5wI
Anyhow, as the technology develops so are the options. Given the Devialet's ADH technology, they could have a word in this area.
(04-Jun-2015, 22:53)Confused Wrote: The little Phantom has eight amps inside, apparently.  I wonder how these would perform if liberated from their little dinosaur eggs?  Or even what spec they are?  Maybe Devialet do have the technology to make a small, low cost multi channel amp, if they really wanted to?

Good point Confused. Devialet definitely has both knowledge and technology to make a multi channel amp. And they know how to use DSP. Phantom is proof of that. Miniaturization of ADH is done already so a compact multi channel amp would be quite easy to design. However the current efforts at Devialet of becoming a brand rather than a hifi maker makes me doubt they will release a multi channel amp (for the DIY audiophile). But I love the thought of eight channels and a USB multi channel interface with proper sample rate switching
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(05-Jun-2015, 08:46)ogs Wrote:
(04-Jun-2015, 22:53)Confused Wrote: The little Phantom has eight amps inside, apparently.  I wonder how these would perform if liberated from their little dinosaur eggs?  Or even what spec they are?  Maybe Devialet do have the technology to make a small, low cost multi channel amp, if they really wanted to?

Good point Confused. Devialet definitely has both knowledge and technology to make a multi channel amp. And they know how to use DSP. Phantom is proof of that. Miniaturization of ADH is done already so a compact multi channel amp would be quite easy to design. However the current efforts at Devialet of becoming a brand rather than a hifi maker makes me doubt they will release a multi channel amp (for the DIY audiophile). But I love the thought of eight channels and a USB multi channel interface with proper sample rate switching

I have 3 questions about this.

1 Why would they bother as the development as the development budget for software would be huge and the grief if it didn't work perfectly first time even bigger.

2 The grief about not using their people to sort out expert range/Phantom problems first.

3 How many would they sell to recoup the cost?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(05-Jun-2015, 09:32)NickB Wrote:
(05-Jun-2015, 08:46)ogs Wrote:

I have 3 questions about this.

1 Why would they bother as the development as the development budget for software would be huge and the grief if it didn't work perfectly first time even bigger.

2 The grief about not using their people to sort out expert range/Phantom problems first.

3 How many would they sell to recoup the cost?

That's only 2 questions and a statement ....   Angel
Smile Picky picky picky
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(05-Jun-2015, 14:18)NickB Wrote: Smile Picky picky picky

I know ......   Plus I think you are almost certainly correct, the market for an active amp would probably be way too small.

Another random thought....    The Phantom amps could be used to make a reasonably priced 5.1 (or 7.1 etc) channel amp, with all channels / speakers SAM'd.  That might have a bigger market?  Not anytime soon though I'm sure.
Photo 
(05-Jun-2015, 09:32)NickB Wrote: 1 Why would they bother as the development as the development budget for software would be huge and the grief if it didn't work perfectly first time even bigger.

Given the existence of Phantom, it tells us Devialet already has software developed to the certain level. I don't believe they would need to invest too much for this to work for masses. If you check current solutions, the UI is quite simple.
Something similar to this: [Image: 367cfb64_vbattach196466.jpeg]

(05-Jun-2015, 09:32)NickB Wrote: 2 The grief about not using their people to sort out expert range/Phantom problems first.

This is a growing company, and this shouldn't be an issue.

(05-Jun-2015, 09:32)NickB Wrote: 3 How many would they sell to recoup the cost?

Not sure as we don't know what the cost is.

All in all, Devialet is an electronics company which tries to set its own footprint which they already did.
I don't see active crossover as something only DIY people would use. Devialet only needs to enter the exiting market which will grow.
Different brands could start to produce speakers without passive crossover. Those brands could invest more in driver development rather than passive crossover. They can do some measurements in house and provide you with data like: HF pass, LF pass, delay etc. and only thing one has to do is to enter these parameters in the DSP or Devialet can make profiles as it does now, irrelevant. There are many ways to do it.
More and more companies go in that direction. Look at the new core business statement of this company: http://www.holmacoustics.com/news.php

Some will say this is complicated. I'd say, Windows were complicated to start with. Nowdays, this can be as trivial as a Spark setup.
We'll see. I am not saying this has to be done by Devialet, but it would be nice. And I am not trying to convince anyone to agree with me. The whole idea of DSP crossovers is already happening. Devialet started to expand by introducing Phantom, but I want more Cool
It has been possible to make a crossover for a 2-way speaker and drive it actively using the Devialet since the early days of the dual-mono D-Premier.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(05-Jun-2015, 16:45)f1eng Wrote: It has been possible to make a crossover for a 2-way speaker and drive it actively using the Devialet since the early days of the dual-mono D-Premier.

Indeed so.  However it cannot be done with the current range if you want to use SAM.  Enabling SAM in the configurator disables the various crossover, low / high pass filter options.  For me, I'd rather have SAM than lots of amps in an active system.  Just as well as it stops me being tempted into spending daft amounts of extra cash!