Poll: Roon Labs Music Software: Are you using it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, signed up for a lifetime.
9.68%
12 9.68%
Yes, signed up for a year.
22.58%
28 22.58%
Tried it but I'm waiting to see how it develops before subscribing.
16.94%
21 16.94%
Tried it and won't be signing up.
5.65%
7 5.65%
Haven't tried it
45.16%
56 45.16%
Total 124 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon Labs Music Software: Are you using it?
Hi,

Is the Exclusive mode not a function of the Core installation and the remote is simply configuring it?

BTW, as a test I used a €100 8" windows tablet as a remote (the core is on a Win Laptop) to get a feel on how it works, and it was easily enough to persuade me....
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
The word Core is confusing, "Library" or "Server" would have been better names. Client mode for everything else.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I am intrigued by the Roon control point however I don't want to use a Mac or PC to manage my playlists and play music. I also don't want to lose any of the sound quality advantages of the totaldac d1 server. 

In fact how does Roon fit in with external renderers like Aurender, Auralic etc?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(08-Jun-2015, 16:57)wiresandmore Wrote: Hi,

Is the Exclusive mode not a function of the Core installation and the remote is simply configuring it?

BTW, as a test I used a €100 8" windows tablet as a remote (the core is on a Win Laptop) to get a feel on how it works, and it was easily enough to persuade me....

No, you can use the Core's audio output when selecting/playing songs on your Remote. If you have installed a Remote on your Windows Tablet, you have additional audio output option; if you have Devialet AIR installed then you can also select AIR as your private audio output. And in this case, you can set AIR output on Exclusive mode.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(08-Jun-2015, 17:23)GuillaumeB Wrote: I am intrigued by the Roon control point however I don't want to use a Mac or PC to manage my playlists and play music. I also don't want to lose any of the sound quality advantages of the totaldac d1 server. 

In fact how does Roon fit in with external renderers like Aurender, Auralic etc?

Guillaume

If you want to use Roon, you will have to use a PC/Mac as the music server. As for Aurender, Auralic, etc., these will be one of the RoonSpeakers (audio output) for Roon. I can't be sure. I hope they will support Sonos or Bluesound too so I can test this out. Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Those waiting for ASIO support. Build 21 was just released.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(09-Jun-2015, 01:18)Dr Tone Wrote: Those waiting for ASIO support.  Build 21 was just released.

May I ask what's the benefits of having ASIO as output?

(09-Jun-2015, 02:52)hk6230 Wrote:
(09-Jun-2015, 01:18)Dr Tone Wrote: Those waiting for ASIO support.  Build 21 was just released.

May I ask what's the benefits of having ASIO as output?

Not sure if you can get native DSD any other way?  I've always preferred it from my Steinberg's Cubase and Presonus Studio One days.  I believe it's a Steinberg protocol specifically developed for low latency bit perfect audio to and from audio recording software.

JPlay users will be happy.  I also assume it will let you use JRiver for DSD as they have an ASIO driver as well.

I find it's more forgiving with multiple applications being connected to audio device.  I never get conflicts like I do with WASAPI.

What settings are you guys using via Air and Roon? If i use exclusive mode it was silent until 8.1 and build 21 on Roon. Now I get music on and off for a few seconds but mostly silence. If I use USB out on my Mac I can use exclusive mode, 44.1, hi-rez, DSD, etc., and no worries.

If I use "non-exclusive" mode I can stream via Air mostly trouble free.

Also, is there a way to list my music rather than a mix of Tidal and my music in the 2 row horizontal scrolling view? I'd like to be able to quickly stroll through my collection and it is painfully slow going from A to Z looking for something to play. Compared to the Aries Streamer or Aurender apps it is more difficult for me to find my music unless I search for something.
Devialet 400 <> Revel Studio 2 <> Auralic Aries-Diskstation NAS <> Palmer 2.5 Turntable w/ Koetsu Black
(13-Jun-2015, 21:50)busaganashi Wrote: What settings are you guys using via Air and Roon? If i use exclusive mode it was silent until 8.1 and build 21 on Roon. Now I get music on and off for a few seconds but mostly silence. If I use USB out on my Mac I can use exclusive mode, 44.1, hi-rez, DSD, etc., and no worries.

If I use "non-exclusive" mode I can stream via Air mostly trouble free.

Also, is there a way to list my music rather than a mix of Tidal and my music in the 2 row horizontal scrolling view? I'd like to be able to quickly stroll through my collection and it is painfully slow going from A to Z looking for something to play. Compared to the Aries Streamer or Aurender apps it is more difficult for me to find my music unless I search for something.

You can't use exclusive mode on AIR. You can disable Tidal and it will only show your own local collection.