Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 drives PMC Speakers
Hi guys,

For those of you who own or tested Devialet on PMC speakers, may I seek your opinions on the match. Please let me know your Devialet and PMC speaker models. Thanks.

Gary
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Perfect match. Used both 200 and 400 on my Fact-12. A little more control using 400, but not a big difference
Naim nac-n 272, Naim nap-300, PMC Fact 12, Audience AU24SE power cables, Oppo BDP-103D
Looking in the configurator two old pmc speakers with a v8 mark has appeared, I wonder if they are from the new divice to do SAM?
Naim nac-n 272, Naim nap-300, PMC Fact 12, Audience AU24SE power cables, Oppo BDP-103D
d200 and fact 8

To my ears, the sound is slightly 'cold', the treble sounds a touch too 'thin' and slightly over emphasised, and a bit more bass slam wouldn't go amiss. But overall I like the sound, and I think my listening setup isn't ideal - I felt my previous two setups were too bright in the same space.

To me it sounds better on electronic and classical, than vocals. I mainly listen to electronic, and vocal based bands, so may try something else down the line.

From descriptions I've read, the ob1i or pb1i would probably be more my cup of tea, but sadly never had a chance to try and these aren't made.

My main dislike of pmc is the cabinet depth for the transmission line stuff. In my living room they're a bit too visible compared to my previous speakers, even though they look much better.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

D200 - PMC FACT 8.

The presentation is quite forward and I would say neutral rather than warm or cold. The latest firmware 8 has enabled even greater clarity and a more fluid midrange. The system seems nicely balanced. Compared with the LS 50 I think you will achieve a bigger, more coherent sound with a more extended but controlled bass. My listening room is quite small but the Fact8 does not overpower with bass even with SAM. I listen to mainly classical but I do remember a demo at the Bristol show a couple of years ago with Fact 8's and big Chord amps belting out some very heavy rock, which my son was very impressed by. The Facts are to my mind an attractive speaker and the cabinets are really well finished. To sum up, I am very happy with both amp and speakers. Good luck in your search.
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
Thanks for your feedback. I will ask for an audition and see if I like it.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(09-Jun-2015, 23:02)Harry. Wrote: D200 - PMC FACT 8.

The presentation is quite forward and I would say neutral rather than warm or cold. The latest firmware 8 has enabled even greater clarity and a more fluid midrange. The system seems nicely balanced. Compared with the LS 50 I think you will achieve a bigger, more coherent sound with a more extended but controlled bass. My listening room is quite small but the Fact8 does not overpower with bass even with SAM. I listen to mainly classical but I do remember a demo at the Bristol show a couple of years ago with Fact 8's and big Chord amps belting out some very heavy rock, which my son was very impressed by. The Facts are to my mind an attractive speaker and the cabinets are really well finished. To sum up, I am very happy with both amp and speakers. Good luck in your search.

Would be interested to know what speaker cables you use Harry, and what your room is like.
We have very similar setups otherwis, apart from (possibly) ears of course.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(10-Jun-2015, 22:01)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(09-Jun-2015, 23:02)Harry. Wrote: D200 - PMC FACT 8.

Would be interested to know what speaker cables you use Harry, and what your room is like.
We have very similar setups otherwis, apart from (possibly) ears of course.

At the moment I am using Ecosse MS 2.15 which are fairly simple solid core speaker cables and have worked pretty well with the D200. However I thought the sound was a touch on the bright side with the last firmware 7.1.3 so I swapped to some QED XT 300's which roll off the top end a bit. With v8 I'm happy with the MS2.15 again. My listening room is 12 x 11 ft and stacked full of vinyl, cd's and books not to mention furniture! Not much chance of flutter echo in here. How have you got on with the filters on the Fact 8? 

Cheers Harry
D440 Pro, Auralic Aries G1, Project Xtension 10, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Esoteric SA-50, Sonus Faber Olympica II, Audioquest cables. Mutec MC-3 + USB.
(11-Jun-2015, 21:52)Harry. Wrote: How have you got on with the filters on the Fact 8? 

Cheers Harry

For the most part I've been running the filters as 0 bass reduction (would prefer a bass increase to be honest!), and mostly treble reduction.

To my ears the filters are a bit too subtle, and the speaker connections used make far more difference. When I first got the Facts I wired them to the treble inputs - I just followed suit of my previous speakers, where I'd read it was better for treble quality to do it like that, and on those speakers it made very little difference anyway. I didn't really like the Facts at home for a good while, and found them very bright and it took a while to start experimenting at the speaker end. This was after two changes of electronics where I ended up with Devialet. Then i found changing the inputs made a much bigger difference.

I've still not got it quite right though.

In terms of reduced brightness and increased bass weight (which I like), I use the bass inputs - this solves the problem the best.
But in terms of treble 'fullness' and sounding the 'best' I cross wire them, but then the brightness is a bit much. And to be honest, the Facts always sound too thin in the treble regardless - whether thats me, my lounge, the combo of PMC and Devialet, or just my ears, I'm not sure. My wife doesn't have this issue with any of the kit I've had, so….

I've experimented with 3 different speaker cables, all input combinations, and all filter combinations, as well as EQ on the Devialet, and I might just have to admit defeat - the Facts and Devialet maybe just aren't a match for me. I got bored experimenting and just can't justify buying any more cables or electronics!

I was about to start afresh and try the Phantoms and then clear everything else out if they sounded right, but just in my few months of using Devialet, and getting first hand experience of their software QA as well as a bad customer service experience, I've kind of taken that one off the table. For now at least. I just don't want another piece of hifi that needs constant messing around with to get to work reliably, and I sense the Phantoms are a way off getting there too.

(Sorry to hijack your thread Gary!)

Running D200 with 20.26's - if you search on the forum elsewhere you'll see I arrived there after listening to lots of alternatives at similar prices (SF Olympica II, Focals, Spendor D7, PMC 20.24, Proac D30R). I think they sound great although the Dev runs hot with them (mine peaks at 58-60 which is pretty warm) suggesting a 400 combo might be a much better option.

I also heard the Fact 8 - ahead of the demo the dealer would have said they were more neutral/analytical/cool whereas the 20.26 was more of a 'party' speaker .... and I would agree, I do listen mainly to rock so that may account for my preference.

Strongly recommend you try to hear Proac D30R - my wife refused them as the tiger ebony finish wasn't to her taste .... but in some ways I preferred them to the 20.26.

I also heard (briefly) the Fact 12 - they are stunning, as they should be given the price difference. But if you find a demo pair, you never know....
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland