Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D200 drives PMC Speakers
how was the Olympica performs with devialet? and how about the focal (which model you listened?) if I may ask. I'm considering them aside from PMC and B&W, upgrading from Cremona M.
(17-Jun-2015, 23:01)wiresandmore Wrote: Running D200 with 20.26's - if you search on the forum elsewhere you'll see I arrived there after listening to lots of alternatives at similar prices (SF Olympica II, Focals, Spendor D7, PMC 20.24, Proac D30R). I think they sound great although the Dev runs hot with them (mine peaks at 58-60 which is pretty warm) suggesting a 400 combo might be a much better option.

I also heard the Fact 8 - ahead of the demo the dealer would have said they were more neutral/analytical/cool whereas the 20.26 was more of a 'party' speaker .... and I would agree, I do listen mainly to rock so that may account for my preference.

Strongly recommend you try to hear Proac D30R - my wife refused them as the tiger ebony finish wasn't to her taste .... but in some ways I preferred them to the 20.26.

I also heard (briefly) the Fact 12 - they are stunning, as they should be given the price difference. But if you find a demo pair, you never know....

Hi!

I also heard the D200 + ProAc D30R and was blown away by the sound! How do you compare it against the Spendor D7 or the PMC24/26? 

Thanks in advance and best regards :-)
I've been auditioning speakers due to an upgrade itch.

So far, I've listened to the Focal Sopra 2, Magico S1, Sonus Faber Olympica II, B&W 804d3 and Wilson Audio Sabrina. As I've reported elsewhere in these forums, I found the Beryllium tweeters on the Focal Sopra 2 a little too harsh for my taste and did not like the Magico S1 at all. The Magico S1 sounded a little congested and the bass was very weak. I also auditioned the PMC Twenty.24 but did not like them. I found that you could hear interaction from the enclosure when pushed a little hard.

So far, I like the Sonus Faber Olympica II, B&W 804d3 and Wilson Audio Sabrina. The Olympica II delivers a very smooth, laid-back, refined sound while the 804d3 are a little more alive but still very smooth. The Sabrina is an awesome speaker (best of the three) but the price is not within my budget. All three models were auditioned via a Devialet 200 and all worked real well with SAM On (100%) in a room roughly 14ft x 17ft (4.3m x 5.2m).

But after auditioning all those speakers, I go home and listen to my ProAc Response D30R and realize that the ProAc speakers are indeed excellent speakers which work extremely well with my Devialet 200 and with SAM On (100%) in my 12ft x 14ft (3.6m x 4.3m) room. I realize that if I do replace my speakers, it would be for something different but not better (unless I can afford the Sabrina speakers...).