Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet DAC quality equivalent?
(16-Jun-2015, 17:17)kenreau Wrote: Thanks for the input guys.  I lost sight of the fact that its impossible to avoid the internal Devialet digital conversion processes.

Indeed, so in conclusion the Devialet DAC is no better than a £1000 Chord item, but a little better than £13k's worth of DAC equipped Naim streamer.  All is clear now!
Err.. Is you tryin to confuze us innit ?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I come from a Naim background using the Naim Dac which is a pretty good offer although it doesnt support USB. I used that for several years. Then I switched to Resonessence, having a Mirus for almost 2 years. Finally, I had a PS Audio Direct Stream mk2 Dac. All three of those a considered very good high end Dacs and I have to put the Mirus on top of the pack closely, very closely followed by the PS Audio and then the Naim ( and thats just because I had to use a USB/Spdif converter ).

My little 2 cents on this is that, to my ears, the Devialet is on par with those guys. Nothing scientific but I dont miss a bit of my Mirus which is the closest in character to Devialet. My taste, my room, my music, again nothing scientific just plain ol'ears....
Dedicated Mains >Crystal Standard Power Cables >Aurender X100L >Locus Design Essentia USB >D200 >Siltech 330L >Dynaudio C1 Signature
Montréal

(16-Jun-2015, 01:34)Music or sound Wrote: The only way to compare Devialet's DAC quality with other DACs is using the analog  preamplified  output and compare it with other DAC. I am using the preout filtered for low pass and it is very good that way. I bought my D-Premier/D250 because I wanted an integrated amplifier (including x-over). I can imagine to find better DAC and amplifier combinations but at much higher expenses (also space wise).

Music or Sound,

I'm not sure I understand your post on how to compare Devialet's DAC quality to other DACs.  I don't know any way to truly connect a different DAC and bypass the Devi's DAC.  I thought using the pre-out is intended to bypass the Devi's amp but still use the Devi's DAC and pre-amp.

Thx,
Brian ...
i wonder if we could buy the model up from texas instruments and just straight swap the one in the devialet!!!

id never try it but makes you think
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(17-Aug-2015, 09:01)completeluxury Wrote: i wonder if we could buy the model up from texas instruments and just straight swap the one in the devialet!!!

id never try it but makes you think

What makes you think the existing part is inadequate, and what would you expect to improve by replacing it?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
how about... a dsd512 capable dac?

i never said it was inadequate, just that there will be models up from this one.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
Devialet will probably start putting in Burr Brown PCM1795's instead of PCM1792's and call them D120+, D200+ etc... and make all us legacy owners feel inadequate.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Ummm... think I might have got Texas Instruments' DAC hierarchy a bit wrong!
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
ehh it happens.

anyways, which devialet owner wouldnt be happy with an upgraded dac that instead of pcm 192khz and dsd56 does pcm 384khz and dsd 256/512

doesnt mean our dac is bad, just that it could be better Smile