Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Devialet 200 goes back on Wednesday...
My 200 showed up brand new, right gutta-the-box with a balance issue last month, May 27 which I reported to dealer the next day. Initially it was only a ~4% higher volume from the right side. Five days later it had crept to 20% tho held there a few days. Since then the right channel bias has creeped upwards a little more each day but is currently holding steady (if you can call it that) between 26 & 34% and is NEVER less but if history is any indication it will likely continue to increase or stop working altogether probably due to a continually weakening, faulty or compromised left channel circuit. Intuitively I do suspect a weakened left channel to an over-achieving right one but either is possible I guess.

Dealing with the dealer is a mixed bag. Of course he's falling all over himself to try to be helpful but hasn't encountered the likes of Devialet's stonewalling tactics before. They want to test everything before replacing anything then drag their feet on any semblance of initiating a test protocol or appointment... preferring to just just shoot emails back & forth ad infinitum, ad nauseum. Fast forward to last week, my dealer put me in touch with the US Director of Wholesale for Devialet. After 3 days with him I've succeeded in getting a UPS call tag issued for Wednesday. He wants to have it tested in-house this side of the Atlantic for the same result I'm experiencing and will issue a replacement on-the-spot if found. Now before anyone gets all green with envy you must remember this has only been communication up to this point, ie; good intentions but as yet, not borne out by deed of any kind. I half expect it to go south tho my biggest fear is the always popular car dealer vernacular; "works perfectly here" routine in which case I'll immediately contact my credit card company, dispute the transaction and refuse redelivery of my old unit, hopefully with my dealer's blessing then immediately purchase another to see if the balance is centered.

More as this story unfolds...
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Very sorry to hear of this situation. It sounds as though there is still some reason to hope that the situation will be resolved in a responsible manner, but it does sound as though things are sliding into the abyss. It is always disappointing when the support system of a fabulous product isn't, itself, fabulous. I think that in most industries, customer support that is better-than-expected can generate a lot of customer loyalty, which leads to owners recommending the products, and builds a company reputation that can have tangible sales benefits.

There may be some extra complications in the support chain, with Devialet apparently scrambling its distribution network. I hope it doesn't leave you getting the short end of the stick.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Agreed and I want to be better than they have been about this. If they tell me they swapped out a board and now its fine then I'm perfectly willing to accept the unit on their word. However, if they say "it works fine here and we're shipping it back" then I'll never lay eyes on it again! So hopefully they won't try to do an internal component swap on the down-low and tell me they did nothing and it works perfectly. I could nail the left reflex speaker to the wall, caulk around it and still not have a 26-34% channel imbalance! I know cuz I tried it flush against the wall, sans nails & caulk of course ;-)

I totally agree with your take; Corporate goodwill is tanking globally. Take care of someone and he'll tell 4-5 people. Rake him over the coals and he'll tell 25!!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
My experience with Devialet support has been excellent, but I am in the UK. After I had my 2 D-Premiers updated to 250s I had a problem with the SD card readers, one was physical, it did not latch, and in the one electrical, it did not always read.
The units were collected the day after I reported the faults and returned directly to the manufacturing base but were a while, possibly a fortnight, being returned. The workshop was presumably busy with the updates at that time.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire