Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet DAC and Phono stage
As we all know, the Devialet is much more than just a very fine amplifier. Included in that shiny box is a DAC, which is up there with the best, and a fully configurable phono stage, with a reputation for remarkably low noise together with fine transparency and detail.

However, there is nothing to stop you (except cash perhaps) using an external DAC (many people have reported that the Devialet is essentially transparent as an amplifier, and that the characteristics of an external DAC are allowed through unimpeded)

Similarly, you cold bypass that internal phono stage, perhaps an option if digital phono equalisation upsets your pure analogue sensibilities. You could even get very carried away and stick a valve phono stage in front of your 24bit/192khz ADH world.

My question here is; Has anyone actually tried any of the above options?

More to the point, has anyone found a DAC or phono stage that they actually use in preference to the Devialet's default option?

....and away from subjective preferences, has anyone experienced something that they can state is definitively better than that Devialets internal offerings?
I haven't tried with my updated to 800 but with the D-Premier I tried all those things.
The "flavour" of the other DAC I tried faithfully came through via the analogue inputs, and at first I used my Goldmund Ph2 phono stage into an analogue input.
My view is that if you prefer a coloured DAC the Devialet analogue input will allow you to enjoy the colour, but begs the question whether a Devialet, which I consider the most transparent amp I have heard, is a logical choice for somebody who prefers a bit of added colour in their hifi.
To be honest I don't listen to my LPs much and hate doing component comparisons so I did not spend much time comparing the phono input with the Ph2, the Devialet is certainly quieter than the Ph2 or any analogue RIAA stage. Measurements show it is the most accurate fit to the RIAA curve Stereophile have ever seen, so I use the built in phono stage, one box less...
Again, it doesn't look like the Devialet adds any noise of FR shaping to the phono input. Anybody who likes the better sense of space added by a bit of noise, or the colour of a RIAA stage with tailored frequency response may well prefer a different phono stage but, again, this begs the question "why buy a transparent amp if you prefer a coloured one?"
IMHO

Edit,
oh I also compared 96kHz and 192kHz sampling in the ADC via the configurator. If there was a difference it was minute and the recommended 96kHz was better, so I settled on that.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

@f1eng - I actually think that from a technical point of view, a digital phono stage is actually a very good idea. Compared with 24bit digital accuracy, it must surly be very difficulty to replicate this with conventional phono stages. From my own limited experience I also concur with your point that the Devialet phono stage is quiet, when I tried a comparison using a Tom Evans phono stage this was most apparent. It is interesting that you don't like doing component comparisons. I have been doing many recently, at dealers, because I have been trying to decide what new kit to buy. I do find back to back component comparisons fascinating, but strangely hard work when you are really concentrating on what you are listening to. The thing is though, after about 1 hour or so of listening, it starts to send me quite insane! To be clear, this is not meant to be humorous, it quite genuinely has a very strange effect on me mentally! (There might actually be something in this, i.e. some kind of examination of why most hifi fanatics are at some level, utterly bonkers)
I have also tried both thing. Actually I also tried using Devialet as a standalone DAC with me previous amplifier. I did prefer my previous DAC to the one in Devialet, but the difference was not so huge that it would have made me keep the old DAC. On the phonostage side though, I'm kinda tempted in keeping my old phonostage. Not because the phonostage in Devialet is bad, it is actually very very good. The phonostage that I have just does some things to my liking and Devialet passes it through nicely.
(12-Jul-2014, 17:20)jjo Wrote: I have also tried both thing. Actually I also tried using Devialet as a standalone DAC with me previous amplifier. I did prefer my previous DAC to the one in Devialet, but the difference was not so huge that it would have made me keep the old DAC. On the phonostage side though, I'm kinda tempted in keeping my old phonostage. Not because the phonostage in Devialet is bad, it is actually very very good. The phonostage that I have just does some things to my liking and Devialet passes it through nicely.

Intereating! Could you elaborate on which DAC & phono stage you were using?
(13-Jul-2014, 09:35)Confused Wrote: Intereating! Could you elaborate on which DAC & phono stage you were using?
My previous DAC was Audio Research DAC8 and my phonostage is Tom Evans Audio Design Groove 25th Anniversary with upgraded PSU. The truth is, I've always liked the TEAD sound.