Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aavik U300 vs Dev D800
Would it be possible to write down what were the test musics played during the gathering?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A fantastic day, thanks again to Stefan for being such an excellent host. 

Sadly my Melco N1Z was pretty much DOA. It would turn on but couldn't read the hard drives and kept giving error codes and restarting itself. It worked perfectly well at my house for a couple of days before going to Sweden so I fear I may have damaged it en route. Terribly frustrating as I'm sure you can imagine.  Undecided

Just a few random thoughts - I was very impressed by the Ansuz feet. I've tried using Stillpoints here in my own system and found the improvement to be minimal. But these Ansuz "pucks" are something else. A real transformation of the sound for the better, largely in the bass frequencies. We tried the Ceramic level Darkz and I'm now really tempted to order some for my system. I definitely recommend these.

Thanks to Mikeeo for supplying some exceptional cognac which you can see me drinking if you look closely enough at the pics above. Told you these were random thoughts.

I liked the Aavik a LOT but didn't think it sounded better than the Devialet 800, which is a relief I guess.

I was surprised at how much better the Auralic Aries sounded, it's clearly improved considerably since I last heard it. The Olive streamer (is it an amplifier too?!) sounded very good too and had a very nice touch screen interface. 

Jan's 4 chassis prototype streamer was awesome and was the reason for us listening to music up until midnight. It's a shame we weren't able to compare it to the Melco. Sad

We played around with power cables and it was interesting how each power cord seemed to impart its own sound. The Bertram ones were excellent, possibly my favourites of the day. 

We had a session with the Raidho D1s which I thought had a wonderful midrange, possibly better in some respects to the Sasha2. However overall I preferred the Sasha2 which provided a more balanced, cohesive not to mention altogether more dynamic sound. 

Will try and post a few pictures later including a few drunken selfies.  Rolleyes

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Did you do all the back to back amp comparisons with SAM disabled, to stop the Dev "cheating", as it were, or at least to make for a more like for like test?
Thank you for sharing this !

Did you do your tests with PS Audio P5 used or you did not use it at all?
Did you do any comparative tests with P5 on/off ?

Thanks !
(28-Jun-2015, 22:09)Confused Wrote: Did you do all the back to back amp comparisons with SAM disabled, to stop the Dev "cheating", as it were, or at least to make for a more like for like test?

Why is it "cheating"?
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(28-Jun-2015, 23:19)NickB Wrote:
(28-Jun-2015, 22:09)Confused Wrote: Did you do all the back to back amp comparisons with SAM disabled, to stop the Dev "cheating", as it were, or at least to make for a more like for like test?

Why is it "cheating"?
+1 here. Devialet developed SAM and it's there to be used. Plenty of people have bought Devialet specifically because of SAM.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(29-Jun-2015, 12:49)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Why is it "cheating"?
+1 here. Devialet developed SAM and it's there to be used. Plenty of people have bought Devialet specifically because of SAM.

Actually, this is exactly what I meant!  Hence the phase, "  "cheating", as it were  ".  With cheating in inverted commas.  I guess what I was really trying to say is that you could compare with SAM off, to establish exactly how the amp / pre performance compares, which would be indicative of performance for speakers non SAM enabled or to establish a pure baseline comparison, but yes, why not do the comparison with SAM.  As for cheating in the literal sense, there is no hifi rule book that I'm aware of.

Or to put it another way, if the Dev's performance with SAM disabled was very slightly ahead, and you then add the increased performance that may be obtained by SAM, RAM or anything else, then it's a much clearer win for the Devialet.
Confused
(29-Jun-2015, 12:49)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Why is it "cheating"?

Actually, this is exactly what I meant!  Hence the phase, "  "cheating", as it were  ".  With cheating in inverted commas.  I guess what I was really trying to say is that you could compare with SAM off, to establish exactly how the amp / pre performance compares, which would be indicative of performance for speakers non SAM enabled or to establish a pure baseline comparison, but yes, why not do the comparison with SAM.  As for cheating in the literal sense, there is no hifi rule book that I'm aware of.

Yes there is and I think it was written by Linn and Naim Tongue
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
SAM is not necessarily better, I'm not using it anymore with my Giya G2. A fair comparison would be without SAM. The benefit of SAM is different for every speaker model, so it cannot be generalized if the Wilson is better with SAM on...
OT: vivialet im thinking of getting my vivid B1's re-samed if they will let me when the sam lab comes around to my city to get it done to sam v2 specs. might be a good idea to try the same with the G2?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)