Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom impressions
the noise was also the main reason that I have returned the Silver Phantoms. This noise was muted 2 seconds after the music stops but startes a second before music plays. In some tracks I could hear the noise during playback. I don't think that this can be fixed, I think it is a drawback of the shrinking of the ADH core to a chip.
But otherwise the Phantoms are surely better than anything under 10k € that I have heard. They are even better than some very expensive systems (>50k) that I have heard. You need a well composed highend system to beat them.
My two white Phantoms are (almost completely) silent: When the music stops, a very distinct noise is audible, but only if I put an ear close to the tweeter and listen carefully. From normal listening position this noise is not audible at all. When listening to music, the most subtle details are audible, but no background noise at all.
I doubt if anyone reasonable can seriously have any problem with this. But maybe some Phantoms generate more noise than others. Could it be possible that those complaining are suffering from static from the electricity network?

My Phantoms are the best speakers I have ever had in my life and home. I am very satisfied with them Smile
How could you adjust the sync with your TV or Bluray player, when it is the audio that is late comparing to the video (and not the opposite)?

What you can adjust is the video delay. But in that case, it is not relevent. You need to adjust the audio delay (which is not to be found on TV or Bluray player, only on PCHC).
Yes. I mean : "what you need to adjust is the video delay". Because you can't do anything about the audio delay. You can't send audio in advance (it could be possible, I imagine, but I don't know any audio source that can do that).
But it is possible to delay the video. I can do it on my PCHC. But not on my TV or Bluray player.
And maybe there are TV or Bluray player that can do that. But they are very rare, I think.
(29-Jun-2015, 12:18)Vivialet Wrote: the noise was also the main reason that I have returned the Silver Phantoms. This noise was muted 2 seconds after the music stops but startes a second before music plays. In some tracks I could hear the noise during playback. I don't think that this can be fixed, I think it is a drawback of the shrinking of the ADH core to a chip.
But otherwise the Phantoms are surely better than anything under 10k € that I have heard. They are even better than some very expensive systems (>50k) that I have heard. You need a well composed highend system to beat them.

Perhaps the units I auditioned (which were supplied by the manufacturer as demo units, and still belong to the manufacturer) had worse noise than yours, but I don't consider it acceptable. I first heard the noise from the seated position, with classical music playing at a moderate volume. As I noted audibility will vary with material and level of background noise in your home, but it is in my opinion noticeable enough to be a deal breaker for serious listening. This noise made even pristine digital recordings substantially noisier than old recordings with analog tape hiss, which is really disappointing with a device where they achieved so much else technically. Hope they can fix.
I didn't consider the noise acceptable, I have returned them for this reason. I could also hear the noise from my listening position with certain recordings.