Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 Phono Stage
I bought my Devialet 200 last year (aside from the fabulous sound quality) partly because I knew it was supposed to have an excellent built-in Phono Stage and I wanted to get back into Vinyl. I'm looking to add a Roksan Xerxes TT to my system and have been in dialogue with Roksan as they have very recently upgraded both the speed controller and separate Phono Stage and added the new PUG tonearm. I explained that I was using a Devialet 200 and wouldn't really need another Phono Stage. Of course, the response from Roksan was that although the Devialet is a nice design, the new Roksan would outperform it.

- Is anyone out there using the Devialet Phono Stage finding that it is in any way lacking?
I think it's fabulous but I'm a relatively inexperienced.

One thing to note is that the Devialet is going to do it's conversion to digital with an analog phono stage in front of it. If you can, demo the dedicated phono preamp and compare it, the vendor will always say/think there's is better in some way.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

There may be better phono stages BUT as @Dr Tone states the signals will be converted to digital within the Devialet. If you are an avid record fan, than you need to demo the units. If not, no worries. I had ClearAudio Basic Plus and the Devialet sounds much better to me.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
I have tried the Devialet phono stage vs a Tom Evans groove. I knew that in theory a digital phone stage could be excellent, but part of me liked the idea of the phono equalisation for an analogue turntable being itself analogue. After a short listen I found I liked the Tom Evans, it was maybe a touch "warmer". However, after more extensive listening, it became clear that the Devialet phono stage offered more detail, it was more dynamic, vocals in particular were much better. The final conclusion was firmly in favour of the Devialet. There are good reasons for this too, a shorter signal path, doing equalisation digitally can be far more accurate and precise than electronically. It saves a lot of cash too! Now it is just possible that you might find a phono stage that you prefer, due to its specific sonic signature, but I doubt it would be truly better in all respects. Another point to note is RAM, where you can select equalisation curves to suit specific record labels. My early experiments with RAM have been extremely positive. In short, you would need to think long and hard before spending extra cash on an external phono stage, together with extensive auditioning to make sure you really wanted it.

Slightly off topic, when I was looking for a new TT last year I did audition the Xerexs, although not with a PUG arm. I liked it, it was a real detail monster. It didn't end up my first choice though, I preferred both the Pro-Ject Signature 10 and 12, and ended up buying the 12. In comparison, maybe the Xerxes is top for detail, but it was almost like the Xerexs was pulling the music apart vs the Pro-Ject putting the music together (not sure if that will make sense, but it does to me). I just really enjoyed the music on the Pro-Ject. Plus the Pro-Ject weighs a ton, and has a really rock solid bottom end, it can dig sub bass out of some tracks. Might be worth a look? One thing, this is my personal view, and it can well imagine others preferring the Xerexs or maybe the Rega P10. All are excellent, but actually quite different in character. As a last note, the Signature 10 with the Cadenza Black for £1000 offer is an absolute bargain in my view.
(29-Jun-2015, 20:17)Confused Wrote: I have tried the Devialet phono stage vs a Tom Evans groove.  I knew that in theory a digital phone stage could be excellent, but part of me liked the idea of the phono equalisation for an analogue turntable being itself analogue.  After a short listen I found I liked the Tom Evans, it was maybe a touch "warmer".  However, after more extensive listening, it became clear that the Devialet phono stage offered more detail, it was more dynamic, vocals in particular were much better.  The final conclusion was firmly in favour of the Devialet.  There are good reasons for this too, a shorter signal path, doing equalisation digitally can be far more accurate and precise than electronically.  It saves a lot of cash too!  Now it is just possible that you might find a phono stage that you prefer, due to its specific sonic signature, but I doubt it would be truly better in all respects.  Another point to note is RAM, where you can select equalisation curves to suit specific record labels.  My early experiments with RAM have been extremely positive.  In short, you would need to think long and hard before spending extra cash on an external phono stage, together with extensive auditioning to make sure you really wanted it.

Slightly off topic, when I was looking for a new TT last year I did audition the Xerexs, although not with a PUG arm.  I liked it, it was a real detail monster.  It didn't end up my first choice though, I preferred both the Pro-Ject Signature 10 and 12, and ended up buying the 12.  In comparison, maybe the Xerxes is top for detail, but it was almost like the Xerexs was pulling the music apart vs the Pro-Ject putting the music together (not sure if that will make sense, but it does to me).  I just really enjoyed the music on the Pro-Ject.  Plus the Pro-Ject weighs a ton, and has a really rock solid bottom end, it can dig sub bass out of some tracks.  Might be worth a look?  One thing, this is my personal view, and it can well imagine others preferring the Xerexs or maybe the Rega P10.  All are excellent, but actually quite different in character.  As a last note, the Signature 10 with the Cadenza Black for £1000 offer is an absolute bargain in my view.

Thanks for that. Your description makes perfect sense. - I have the Pro-Ject 12 on my Radar too! - I just need to get around to some more demoing.
Do you need to make a decision on the Roksan phono stage now? e.g. it is less expensive if purchased at the same time as the TT.

If there is no advantage, take your time. Start with the Devialet phono stage and if you find it not to your taste then experiment.
(30-Jun-2015, 16:30)bentrider Wrote: Do you need to make a decision on the Roksan phono stage now?  e.g. it is less expensive if purchased at the same time as the TT.

If there is no advantage, take your time.  Start with the Devialet phono stage and if you find it not to your taste then experiment.

It's a bit more complicated than that as I have two systems, the other one centred around a Unison Research S8 Valve Amp, which doesn't have a Phono Stage. If the Roksan is better than the Devialet, I would obviously go for that, but if it isn't I can run the Roxie into the Devialet and maybe choose something else for when I want to use the TT with the S8. Anyway, it sounds like the Devialet Phono Stage is as good as Devialet make out from the helpful postings on here, but I guess I need to do some more listening.
(30-Jun-2015, 17:38)Infiniteloop Wrote:
(30-Jun-2015, 16:30)bentrider Wrote: Do you need to make a decision on the Roksan phono stage now?  e.g. it is less expensive if purchased at the same time as the TT.

If there is no advantage, take your time.  Start with the Devialet phono stage and if you find it not to your taste then experiment.

It's a bit more complicated than that as I have two systems, the other one centred around a Unison Research S8 Valve Amp, which doesn't have a Phono Stage. If the Roksan is better than the Devialet, I would obviously go for that, but if it isn't I can run the Roxie into the Devialet and maybe choose something else for when I want to use the TT with the S8. Anyway, it sounds like the Devialet Phono Stage is as good as Devialet make out from the helpful postings on here, but I guess I need to do some more listening.

I would try the Devialet phono stage first if I were you. I've heard various phono stages (including Naim, DV, Heed - but not Roksan) and the Devialet sounds much better to me. I use a Linn LP12 (antique).
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(29-Jun-2015, 18:06)Infiniteloop Wrote: Is anyone out there using the Devialet Phono Stage finding that it is in any way lacking?

I continue to use my Dynavector P75 phono stage over the internal stage in my 200. I keep meaning to go back and re-compare , especially now we have RAM to play with, but when I first got the 200 I found the P75 stage to have more grunt, and to be quieter, quite a bit quieter. My cartridge is a Dynavector mc, so it should be a really good match.

Your going to need to dem the two options.

PS I ran an original Xerxes for years, I'm sure the new ones are stunning.
(01-Jul-2015, 13:27)Soniclife Wrote:
(29-Jun-2015, 18:06)Infiniteloop Wrote: Is anyone out there using the Devialet Phono Stage finding that it is in any way lacking?

I continue to use my Dynavector P75 phono stage over the internal stage in my 200. I keep meaning to go back and re-compare , especially now we have RAM to play with, but when I first got the 200 I found the P75 stage to have more grunt, and to be quieter, quite a bit quieter. My cartridge is a Dynavector mc, so it should be a really good match.

Your going to need to dem the two options.

PS I ran an original Xerxes for years, I'm sure the new ones are stunning.

What are you spinning now?