Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hiss on Phono
I bye a SUT (ortofon verto) a match for my ortofon cadenza Black! Vhen i go too settings In devialet Riaa , it says-  330 Uv rms- 30 ohm - Pf 0 . Use Sd card ,In dev. My verto  is om settings 5-50 ohm , vitch i  Think is the Right. After that i Can go too ram settings , go Up In lever , put too 60 ohm , but there Are still hiss vhen i turn the wolume Up to - 20 pr higer , Any suggestions  please ( i use Earth cable all the Way , it is hiss NOT humm.
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,
So is there a problem with low output MC's ?

I use a fully loaded LP12 - would like to remove the built in Urika phono stage , but not at the expense of then having to source a SUT to address any hiss issues.
LP12se, CD3t, Le 400, MF7
Bucks/Herts Border
(14-Apr-2016, 15:53)adamk Wrote: So is there a problem with low output MC's ?
I don't think that can be stated as an absolute fact. At least I have no problems with hiss and I do have relatively low output cartridge (0.25mV). There are of course cartridges that give out less, but I do feel that I'm at the lower end of things Smile

I use a fully loaded LP12 - would like to remove the built in Urika phono stage , but not at the expense of then having to source a SUT to address any hiss issues.

I have a low output MC (Ortofon Cadenza Black), and yes I can hear the hiss.  To be honest, it is at a low enough level that when actually listening to vinyl it makes no difference, I am simply unaware of it.  I have also tried the Devialet phono stage versus a Tom Evans Groove, which is at a similar price point to the Linn Urika, and much preferred the results with the Devialet phono stage, hiss or not.  So this is not a totally clear cut issue.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(14-Apr-2016, 17:21)Confused Wrote:

I have a low output MC (Ortofon Cadenza Black), and yes I can hear the hiss.  To be honest, it is at a low enough level that when actually listening to vinyl it makes no difference, I am simply unaware of it.  I have also tried the Devialet phono stage versus a Tom Evans Groove, which is at a similar price point to the Linn Urika, and much preferred the results with the Devialet phono stage, hiss or not.  So this is not a totally clear cut issue.

My experience mirrors this. There is some hiss, but when the record is playing, it is a non-issue. I can't hear it at all, even in softer passages.
I have an Ortofon Rondo Red MC cartridge 5.0mV output.  I too hear hiss, but not enough to bother me in the slightest.  I would suggest to anyone considering buying a new cartridge to get something over 5mV as it seems that the lower the output, the more hiss you will hear.
Just my two penn'orth!  Smile
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(05-Jun-2016, 14:05)Axel Wrote: I have an Ortofon Rondo Red MC cartridge 5.0mV output.  I too hear hiss, but not enough to bother me in the slightest.  I would suggest to anyone considering buying a new cartridge to get something over 5mV as it seems that the lower the output, the more hiss you will hear.
Just my two penn'orth!  Smile

I suspect you might be spot on here, my Dynavector XX2mk2 is only 0.28mV, I think if it had double that output and I would be OK with the hiss level, but very low output cartridges are a problem.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I just added a second 200 to make it into a 400, and as a result the phono hiss audible through the speakers is greatly diminished - I wonder if it is due to better earthing via the digital cable, as the second 200 is plugged into a different power circuit? Very interesting.
WTL TT / HP laptop (JRiver) / Devialet 400 / Marten Django / Crystal Cable

Sydney Australia
Hi Frank,

Thank you for your recommendation for using a SUT with an MC cartridge. The noise floor is really low and I hear next to no hiss even with my ears close to the tweeter.

My cartridge is an Ortofon MC Quintet Black with output voltage specified as following: Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 0.3 mV
I had a slight hiss when I used the MC stage of Devialet. So I got a step up transformer, Ortofon ST-7 so that I could use the MM stage of the D200. 
The gain of the SUT is Gain: 24 dB at 1 kHz and Recommended load of 47 kΩ // 200 pF
This gives excellent performance however I wanted some help on the setting I should aim for. If I set the load to "high" the noise floor as indicated by the meter on the D200 is > -80dB and I also get clipping (red dot blinking) on certain records during dynamic passages. So I have set the load to 460ohm which ensures there is no clipping and the noise floor is between -90db and -80db . But with the max voltage level set to around 4.4MV (which is the equivalent of 24dB voltage gain on 0.3mV) the volume level of the Devialet needs to be cranked up high (> -10dB on the volume indicator) for quiet records for normal listening. So I have set the max voltage to 1.8MV which results in a normal listening level of -20dB for most records.

What is the preferred setting- Keeping the max gain high and cranking up the volume or keeping it low? Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Sandeep.
Any change with 10.0.2?
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2