Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hiss on Phono
Bringing this thread back to life - have sourced a Dynavector SUT and will report back on the improvements as I use it into the MM of the Devialet.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
I too have observed more hiss on the phono input since the firmware upgrades this summer. When I first got the devialet, it was very quiet on the phono input using a lomc.
I have tried everything and its still noisy so i took my tube phono out of storage and Im running it into a spare rca inputs on the slave, problem solved and a surprise.
The surprise is that I think my other inputs are now quieter, I wonder if the noise from the phono was affecting them?

This is my first impression after an hour, I'll report back later.
theaudioguru
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.
So the SUT (Dynavector SU-200) went in over the weekend, it's a huge leap forward into the MM of the Devialet - no hiss anymore, just a little hum at high volumes which I need to work on (positioning the SUT etc....)

Will post further updates....
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
(27-Oct-2015, 11:15)wiresandmore Wrote: So the SUT (Dynavector SU-200) went in over the weekend, it's a huge leap forward into the MM of the Devialet - no hiss anymore, just a little hum at high volumes which I need to work on (positioning the SUT etc....)

Will post further updates....

Please do. Any impression of sound quality changes beyond the noise?
I too would be interested in you SQ observations. This is an interesting one, yes a SUT will drop the noise floor, but you do need to add both the SUT and a second cable into the signal path, which theoretically is a negative. I also suspect that the phono stage may actually perform a little differently at MM levels of gain, if this is for the better or worse? You observations on the end result will be of interest to a few of us, I'm sure. (I have been thinking of trying an SUT myself)
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this, but I have to say using the SUT with the Devialet has been a revelation. I'm now getting normal (even loud) listening levels at -15db on the D400s, no hiss and no hum (previously it was heading to -5 or above and I suspect that was partly why the hiss came). Sound is fantastic, better than my PC running Room through USB! It mirrors Frank's comments earlier in this thread of his experience with an SUT.

Perhaps my original cartridge was just too challenging for the MC stage, but either way this has been a big step forward for me and vinyl replay with the Devialet.

YMMV, but if you are having the issues I had, try to see if you can borrow an SUT from a dealer!
Dublin, Ireland
wiresandmore - Thanks for the update! Clearly you are positive on the benefits of using an SUT, at least with respect to noise, hiss etc. Did you notice any negatives? As I posted previously, using an SUT does place a transformer and an additional cable in the signal path. Did you notice, or even suspect, any negatives? Or is it just as you post reads, it is an improvement, so try it!
(15-Nov-2015, 11:16)Confused Wrote: wiresandmore - Thanks for the update!  Clearly you are positive on the benefits of using an SUT, at least with respect to noise, hiss etc.  Did you notice any negatives?  As I posted previously, using an SUT does place a transformer and an additional cable in the signal path.  Did you notice, or even suspect, any negatives?  Or is it just as you post reads, it is an improvement, so try it!

It's much better than it was - can't really say anything negative tbh - due to some impending surgery I will have some time through early Dec to listen a bit more than usual so will give an update if anything changes. But for now it's a big improvement and I'm very happy (I think you guessed that bit!)
Dublin, Ireland
A lot of LP enthusiasts prefer a sut to an extra active amplifier for MC cartridges. Whether that is because "everybody loves the sound added by transformers" as I was told decades ago when asking the same question I don't know. As you know, I would not expect an additional non-broken cable to make any difference Smile but one does need to sort out earthing and positioning carefully to avoid hum.
I haven't compared it extensively but with the MC input with recent firmware but the MC config was much noisier than with my Ortofon T3000 whereas I did not notice any noise difference when comparing them with much earlier firmware on my D-Premiers.
Pre CD I was already using a preamp which used a sut in the mc phono stage btw.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(15-Nov-2015, 21:38)f1eng Wrote: A lot of LP enthusiasts prefer a sut to an extra active amplifier for MC cartridges. Whether that is because "everybody loves the sound added by transformers" as I was told decades ago when asking the same question I don't know. As you know, I would not expect an additional non-broken cable to make any difference Smile but one does need to sort out earthing and positioning carefully to avoid hum.

I bought a SUT ,can someone post their MM configuration please? I'm using the cm1254 with 1.20 ratio into MM on the devialet but I'm getting distortion /hash at high volumes/crescendos. Cartridge is the ortofon bronze.
Thanks
Theaudioguru
Devialet 400 ,Magico S3, Aurender N100, Mac Mini + Amarra + Geekperfect, Vpi Avenger with 3D Arm, ortofon cadenza bronze, Ortofon Royal Spu Nude,
Sonos.