Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early impressions, musings & pondering a Sub addition
So hear I have a REL S3 on loan - and I am getting frustrated!

I am told that High frequency input is the way to go, so tried that last weekend - not hugely impressed.

So tonight I tried using the mono sub output from D400 (bottom one) ans enabled it via config, and all variable.
Then flashed the config file to master, then switched all on...

...Nothing! Huh Found an option on bottom button 3 to switch on sub... nothing!

What am I doing wrong please? Angry
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ™

I have sometimes had to do that to get the pre-out to work after enabling it in a new configuration. Don't know why -- but it might be worth a try, at least.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
actually when i first enabled my 2 subs through the pre-out they didnt work either! it took me a lil bit of fiddling around and i dont know why.

firstly, if the sub isnt working scroll through your input sources and see if digital 2 is suddenly there. it means that the devialet added the pre-out as in input instead which is why its selectable.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(02-Jul-2015, 21:39)Pim van Vliet Wrote: You guys think you have problems with your wife; Mine wants Vivid G1's but I can't afford them...

Funny but true story. I decided to get Giya G3 speakers. Based on my room size and feedback from the distributor the G2's would overpower the room. My significant other was disappointed as she preferred the looks of the G2s and was even willing to spend extra to get them.

I guess we would call that a happy problem.

The good thing is she wasn't horrified by the looks of the G3s, just preferred the aesthetics of the G2s.

p.s. I don't know how i managed it but the stereo is in a separate room from the home theater, major win.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Well after lots and lots of fiddling, I went back to high level output. Then I had a thought: Was my problem ref the lack of sub sound anything to do with the frequency limiter set in the configurator for my speakers?

Sure enough, I found that the low end was limited to around 35 hertz, so moved the limiter to min.

Big difference in sound and low frequency, but I do wonder if this is the way to go, as I presume that the main speakers are now subject to that same (non) limitation? Do you think there are any problems coming my way ref damage?

This rel also needed the gain wound up by quite a margin too - almost 2/3rds+ to be appreciable. Is that expected? I used to have an M&K 350 sub a while back, and the gain only needed a tiny amount to be quite boisterous!

Not sure if the REL is still the right choice.

I saw the SVS PC13 yesterday, a monsterous 4+ft high tube - and wow that could knock your teeth out... Bit over the top maybe?  Cool

Ultimately the idea is to persuade her-in-doors at some point to allow me to move all the hi-fi stuff to compliment a cinema system, so whaever sub I end up with, can fulfill two roles!

...I can dream can't I? Rolleyes
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
well i found that with my JL audio subs that ive got them at about 1/3 gain otherwise they overpower my system.

you are right too - put in the high level output your main speakers will get full range too which is why i cant comprehend it. ive got mine on pre-outs so i can set an 80hz crossover between the subs and mains.

if you find that the REL isnt really doing it for you level-wise, perhaps the company that you are demoing the REL with also has a brand like JL to try? you dont have to use their top of the range stuff to have a win, im using the 12 inch e-sub which is basically the base range
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I have had a REL Studio for around 20 years. I bought it from REL before Richard Lloyd sold up. I used it powered by the speaker outputs of my amplifiers until I got my second Devialet D-Premier which seemed to me to be potentially incompatible with the common earth connection mode.
On the Devialet I have rewired the sub cable to use the mono sub preamp output. My speakers are pretty well full range anyway, and the sub really adds very little on music. Sound effects on movies are the main beneficiary of a sub with my speakers in fact.
I would expect the Triangles will benefit very little from a sub on most music too, their -3dB point is 35Hz.

The REL philosophy has always been not to interfere at all with the main speakers but to just fill in bass lower than the main speakers go, hence the fine adjustment of upper roll off frequency.
I must say I prefer this approach personally, and the REL was the first sub I had heard which wasn't "obvious" and exaggerated on music.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire