Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco v Aurender
Yes you read the title of the thread correctly, it's going to happen... on Monday! 

Myself, Rufus and cc1 will compare the Melco N1A to the Aurender N100H*, and we've also got an assortment of Allsorts, I mean USB cables, to test!  Tongue

Watch this space. 

Guillaume

* added the H to avoid future thread confusion.
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
X100L or N100H?
Dedicated Mains >Crystal Standard Power Cables >Aurender X100L >Locus Design Essentia USB >D200 >Siltech 330L >Dynaudio C1 Signature
Montréal

(02-Jul-2015, 20:22)Yippedidou Wrote: X100L or N100H?

I'm guessing it must be the N100H! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(02-Jul-2015, 20:10)GuillaumeB Wrote: Yes you read the title of the thread correctly, it's going to happen... on Monday! 

Myself, Rufus and cc1 will compare the Melco N1A to the Aurender X100H, and we've also got an assortment of Allsorts, I mean USB cables, to test!  Tongue

Watch this space. 

Guillaume

Most excellent.  This this has cirtainly got my interest!
Awesome !

Thank you for doing that and sharing your results !

I do not understand why Melco does not provide AES interface.

Additionally, I am surprised that Weiss Man301 is very overlooked among music enthusiasts in Europe.
I would love to see how this unit performs in real testings.
(02-Jul-2015, 22:01)johnsap Wrote: Awesome !

Thank you for doing that and sharing your results !

I do not understand why Melco does not provide AES interface.

Additionally,  I am surprised that Weiss Man301 is very overlooked among music enthusiasts in Europe.
I would love to see how this unit performs in real testings.

The Aurender doesn't provide AES either, unless you spend £7 grand on the new N10.
Really looking forward to your findings!
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Its probably the most compelling comparison of the moment - certainly one that I'm keen to hear your views on.

A few points - largely selfish I know but it doesn't hurt to ask and I think others will be interested Wink :

- will you use 8.1.2 as its the latest FW version?
- It would be great if you could include AIR in the comparison (maybe just switch over once you've done your main comparison?). The reason is that I've heard big improvements from Mac/AIR in my system with 7.1.3 and now 8.1.2+SAM and I think these have brought AIR much close to top quality streamer performance
- I don't know whether any of you are TIDAL customers but Aurender's excellent TIDAL integration is a big positive. It would be interesting to know how the Melco stacks up against it both in sound and usability
- Both are effectively plug and play but it would be v. interesting to get your thoughts on day-to-day usability

Thanks,

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Very much looking forward to the findings as i am currently waiting for AIR to be trouble free, or Dialog.......................zzzz Wink

I am therefore considering a streamer solution, would be great if you could compare it to AIR too as i would welcome your opinion.

Steve
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(03-Jul-2015, 08:16)PhilP Wrote: Its probably the most compelling comparison of the moment - certainly one that I'm keen to hear your views on.

A few points - largely selfish I know but it doesn't hurt to ask and I think others will be interested Wink :

- will you use 8.1.2 as its the latest FW version?
- It would be great if you could include AIR in the comparison (maybe just switch over once you've done your main comparison?).  The reason is that I've heard big improvements from Mac/AIR in my system with 7.1.3 and now 8.1.2+SAM and I think these have brought AIR much close to top quality streamer performance
- I don't know whether any of you are TIDAL customers but Aurender's excellent TIDAL integration is a big positive. It would be interesting to know how the Melco stacks up against it both in sound and usability
- Both are effectively plug and play but it would be v. interesting to get your thoughts on day-to-day usability

Thanks,

Philip

I feel a little guilty for adding to the review requests, but I have to agree with Philip.  Going from 7.1.3beta to and now with 8.1.2, both with AIR, it too am finding the sound quality rather splendid, for me better than ever.  So how these machines stack up to AIR with respect to SQ is very interesting, after all, there is not much point parting with a couple of grand for little or no change in SQ?  Although maybe even a small improvement might be well worth it if you like the functionality of either streamer, or indeed just the idea of not having a computer as part of a hifi system.  Maybe a quick AIR trial once you've picked a winner from he two machines?   Now, if you could throw in the 3d Lab Nano, Antipodes, and yes the Weiss Man301 looks interesting, plus the cable comparisons, that would be splendid.  Although even if anyone could pull this off one day, it would drive them quite insane.

I'll shut up now. 

Anyway, great work sorting out this test, I look forward to your findings whatever you decide to try, your test, your call!