Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM 2
No intention to spoil your game, but have you tried Melco?

Maybe it's not perfect from user experience side (Roon etc..), but most of computer "problems" considering SQ (any kind of noise and jitter) almost completely vanish with it.

Your system deserves it Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audience aR-6 TSS / Melco N1ZH / Audio Research CD5 / D400 / Vivid B1D
Synergistic Research Atmosphere / SR Element C.T.S.
I have SAM problems even using a Melco. There are certain tracks where, even with SAM on 0% (so phase correction only) have a loud thumping noise noise with SAM on, and nothing with SAM off. Some of these tracks are quiet acoustic tracks, and it happens even at low volume. There's definitely something not quite right with SAM for my speakers, though it does appear to marginally improve sound quality for most tracks.
(20-Aug-2016, 17:25)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I have SAM problems even using a Melco. There are certain tracks where, even with SAM on 0% (so phase correction only) have a loud thumping noise noise with SAM on, and nothing with SAM off. Some of these tracks are quiet acoustic tracks, and it happens even at low volume. There's definitely something not quite right with SAM for my speakers, though it does appear to marginally improve sound quality for most tracks.

Ah yes, but here is a thought.....  I have noticed some bass issues running SAM not just with AIR as detailed above, but even more so in general listening with the microRendu via USB, and also with the Melco N1Z I auditioned earlier this year.  Obviously the Melco was also utilising USB.  With the Mutec doing USB to AES/EBU conversion, the issues are gone, and I mean 100% eliminated.  Do you have anything lying around that outputs AES/EBU?  It would be well worth giving it a try with SAM!  (Perhaps you could make Guillaume's Totaldac D1 'disappear' when he's not looking? Shy )
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Aug-2016, 17:03)Filips Wrote: No intention to spoil your game, but have you tried Melco?

Maybe it's not perfect from user experience side (Roon etc..), but most of computer "problems" considering SQ (any kind of noise and jitter) almost completely vanish with it.

I have!
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2968
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(20-Aug-2016, 17:03)Filips Wrote: No intention to spoil your game, but have you tried Melco?

Are you sure you fully understand what Confused wrote and what the microRendu and Mutec MC-3+ USB are and do?
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(20-Aug-2016, 17:52)Confused Wrote:

I have!
http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=2968

Thanks.

(20-Aug-2016, 18:04)Antoine Wrote:

Are you sure you fully understand what Confused wrote and what the microRendu and Mutec MC-3+ USB are and do?

Yes, but did you understand my question? I was reffering to the one box solution (not pc or mac) that actually sounds good/superb.

(20-Aug-2016, 17:49)Confused Wrote:
(20-Aug-2016, 17:25)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I have SAM problems even using a Melco. There are certain tracks where, even with SAM on 0% (so phase correction only) have a loud thumping noise noise with SAM on, and nothing with SAM off. Some of these tracks are quiet acoustic tracks, and it happens even at low volume. There's definitely something not quite right with SAM for my speakers, though it does appear to marginally improve sound quality for most tracks.

Ah yes, but here is a thought.....  I have noticed some bass issues running SAM not just with AIR as detailed above, but even more so in general listening with the microRendu via USB, and also with the Melco N1Z I auditioned earlier this year.  Obviously the Melco was also utilising USB.  With the Mutec doing USB to AES/EBU conversion, the issues are gone, and I mean 100% eliminated.  Do you have anything lying around that outputs AES/EBU?  It would be well worth giving it a try with SAM!  (Perhaps you could make Guillaume's Totaldac D1 'disappear' when he's not looking? Shy )

Hmm, an interesting theory. Unfortunately I don't have an AES-equipped source to hand... Guillaume's Totaldac is at the upgraders so any planned heist would prove fruitless at the moment.
Tongue 
(20-Aug-2016, 18:04)Antoine Wrote:

Antoine, 

Now that I read whole discussion about both Melco and Mutec/Microrendu, I saw that actually I did't fully understand Confused's question in the first place.
My apologies!!

As I see it - in digital audio two most important thing that everybody is talking about are:

1. Integrity of data (JITTER) and
2. Noise (any kind)

So, is there anyone who tried both Melco AND Mutec MC-3? Big Grin
I have tried lots of settings with SAM on my Sopras and there is very little effect to me and the problems of the thumping sound I have never encountered that.

I really want AIR3 to be a solution that works well with Roon but I cant help wonder if I sold my microRendu and sent back the Mutec to Thomann a little to fast.

A computer with AIR 3 and Roon is a bit less things to wonder about compared to having a microRendu and Mutec (mostly the need for PSU to the microRendu and if one should get a linear PSU to the Mutec).

No I just have to stop thinking about this and keep calm and wait for the upgrade process (prices not ready in Sweden) and more info regarding the streamerboard what route to take but perhaps the AES input is always going to be the best input. A streamer with Roon Server and the qualites of microRendu and Mutec in one case would be a nice thing.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree