Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iconoclast speaker cables
(14-Jul-2015, 17:55)IanG-UK Wrote: There is a chance that this thread, on a largely unheard of loudspeaker cable, turns into a debate on whether well engineered cables sound the same or different.

Which would, in my opinion, be futile since these debates have run for years on established fora like HiFi Wigwam, Pink Fish, What's Best Forum, ... , and have reached the same range of conclusions.

I'm happy that some of us spend large amounts of money on cables and some of us spend little in the belief that well engineered cables are all that is needed. I've fallen into both camps.

Whilst I note what Alicata says "Honestly, the thought that there is no technical reason to spend any extra money on cables because there is no sound difference between them is exactly how these cables came about.", I would amend/append the words to read "... because there is no sound difference between them is possibly how these cables came about ... or possibly because manufacturers/retailers see a hugely profitable marketing opportunity in this area".

And I cannot remember any publicly declared blind listening tests on cables which show significantly significant discrimination results, in the last 20 years, which might indicate something. But not necessarily everything.

I agree that the cables are largely unheard of and it's unfortunate that this discussion is occurring without people know what we are debating. I believe we ultimately may have an answer to the question at hand of whether or not cables make a difference. The developer is both an engineer and an audiophile. I happen to believe him when he tells me that he developed the cables to get the best sound out of his own system. He heard differences between cables (at a time when he believed that could not happen). He then looked into why, and made his own to try and improve on what he heard. I could tell you about another cable manufacturer (actually 2 others) who heard differences with this cable when they decidedly DID NOT want to hear them. Is there profit in it? As a capitalist American, I certainly hope so. One of the best preamps I ever heard is not being made because they were too time consuming and expensive to make. So in way of defense of my statement, I will say that better sound is how the cables came about. But as you can see from the initial difficulty in getting information on them, whether or not we all get to hear them will depend on profitability. But they are out there, and I am hearing that others outside our small area have placed and received their orders.

(p.s. - Was post #44 the "dozy plonker" comment? Also as an American, I had to look that one up)