Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oxford Audio Consultants Phantom launch 15th July
Thanks guys. Yes, first and foremost, it's a Phantom event, and they're bloody good. I'm trying to figure out where in the house I can put one with a 400 in the living room (damn?!?).

We're showing off the Phantom as best we can (with old Rosie cider) but will also be showcasing the "expert range". I cannot express how much I dislike Devialet's nomenclature.

There will be Melco vs Aurender, there will even be cable demos...

But first and foremost, it's a Phantom launch.

I have done very little today (apart from play with white phantom vs silver) and listen to my Hifi shop cliche bag of tunes, but dare I say, Nils Lofgren sounded close to what I'm used to at home with a 400+speakers through a pair of rugby balls on the shop floor!
Hello again.

I am afraid you are right concerning the MUTEC. Seems to be the wrong moment to consider my move. I already sorted out the situation with Oxford Audio directly.

When G. and I spoke about my trip I got the impression that we might have a chance to listen to the expert line as well. So I thought this might be a good idea...

At no time I had planed to highjack the event! I apologize for any inconvenienced I may have caused by my post.

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
just wanted to say a quick hello and thank you to all of those i met today at Oxford Audio
it was lovely to put a few faces to names and the welcome couldn't have been warmer

can't wait to go back and have another play

Gordy
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
A most excellent day today! Many thanks to the guys at OAC, excellent hospitality, splendid demonstrations, combined with being great fun. I think they have really set the standard for events like this.

Great to finally meet Guillaume and others, plus the biggest surprise of the day was not the Phantoms, but that Nickb appears to be a really good bloke and was great fun to chat with. (He picked out some fine tunes too). I'm now trying to work out who the above Gordy was? Also, I can reveal that Guillaume is much better looking in real life than his avatar would suggest.

In other news, F1eng listened to a digital cable, but decided not to purchase.....

On a more serious note, I probably have a few observations to post on the Phantoms. Although, I'm not really in mood for posting audio observations at the moment for some reason, plus I think there was so much to take in today my little brain is still processing thoughts for the day. However, an easy conclusion for me to make is that if I had to choose a hifi to buy for £4k, for my taste, I simply cannot think of anything I would choose in preference to a pair of silver Phantoms.
Yes, it was a very good and enlightening day.  Thanks to Jon and all at OAC for being very good hosts.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you, Confused (that would have been the icing on the cake).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I was the 'slightly' larger chap that yourself and Nick were persuading to demo an Expert Smile
we also discussed my apprehension of getting a single box solution over separates

Im guessing the Phantoms sounded much better when they were moved into the smaller demo room?
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
Great, day - really enjoyed it, thanks very much to OAC! I probably didn't listen to Phantoms as much as I should but I liked what I heard. They have this ability to become invisible and not sound like single-point sources. It was quite uncanny. That was a big room too and they did a pretty decent job in it. Compared Aurender X100 vs N100H (I think I've got those model numbers right - I seem to have a blind spot for them) with D200/Atohm GT1 with Nick 'cc1'. X100 was lovely, N100H was I think the same one we auditioned at Nick's the other day and still didn't sound good despite a lot more hours of running. I'm not convinced it's quite right - possibly a magic setting or something?
Briefly heard the Aurender W20 (?) and then the Melco N1Z for quite a bit on the D800/Sasha 2 system upstairs. I liked what I heard of the Aurender (about 5 minutes) but didn't really listen long enough to form an opinion against the N1Z.
Great to meet some of you as well!
Just like to add my thanks to OAC for an excellent launch and "demo" day yesterday - and also the refreshments! The Phantom demo was certainly very impressive, but I would need to hold off from a 100% endorsement until heard in my own home environment. It was also great to catch up with some familiar "faces" and  meet some new.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Great day out, thanks to Jon and Alisdair for putting on a great show. The refreshments and nibbles were much appreciated!

Good to meet Confused and NickB and catch up with some Devialet Chat regulars there. 

Phantoms are definitely very impressive and worthy of further investigation.

The 800 + Sasha 2 room was fun and I was very happy listening to the sound with the Aurender W20 playing Beethoven's 9th Symphony! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
It was a great day at OAC and as usual Jon paid me back for the free food and drink with grief and insults Big Grin  its a good job that Alisdair is there as well or I could not stand it anymore (well not till next time anyway)

Great to meet Gordy, Guillame and Confused and listen to some good music. Have to say that when we moved the Phantoms into the small room (both white and silver) the difference was not subtle. When SWMBO opens the purse strings again I will be after at least 1 silver to take to Spain for the winter.

Had a great chat with Guillame and Confused. Guillame and I played with switching SAM on and off with the expert system in the small room before the Phantoms were moved and kind of came to the conclusion that with the Wilsons and D800 it was not needed really and sounded better without!!!

Having got back and checked my system found I was still on V8.1.0 software and using SAM at 100%. Have just upgraded to V8.1.2 and set up the system with no SAM and have to say the Magico's probably do not need any help in the bass and I think it sounds better vanilla.

Perhaps we should arrange some sessions at each others houses and have a listen to other set ups sometimes, if I catch the boss in a good mood she will knock up a nice lunch as well !!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers