Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standby power consumption
Isn´t anyone besides me shocked about the standby power consumption of our Devialet devices?
And it doubles if you go 400 or 800 :-(
I think this is a serious bug!
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
What is the power consumption?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(14-Jul-2014, 11:57)Pim van Vliet Wrote: What is the power consumption?

For a D800 I measure 34 Watt
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
Hi Mka,

I've done the sums; to get 1 KiloWatthour you need to have it on stand by for 29.42hours (1000/34)
there are 24x365=8760 hours in a year. Divide that by 29.41 and you will use 298 KWh. Times that by $0.32 (what I pay in Australia) and it will cost you $95.36 per year to have it on stand by all year round. Considering that if you were to run a 'normal' class A amp for an hour a day it would use much, much more so I think it's not a bad deal.

I am a bit surprised about this though. I was under the impression that in Europe all equipment had to have a stand-by power of 1 Watt. I've done a Google search and it seems that not all appliances fall under that regulation yet. When something is networked (routers and the like; Devialet could fall into this category) the rules are a bit loose but they are working on that too. A screen that indicates something (not just a red or green light but an actual screen) also falls under a different rule. Maybe that's why you get the number of your Devialet on your screen when in stand-by.

I hope this calculation helps people understand the real cost of stand-by a bit more.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(14-Jul-2014, 13:28)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Hi Mka,

I've done the sums; to get 1 KiloWatthour you need to have it on stand by for 29.42hours (1000/34)
there are 24x365=8760 hours in a year. Divide that by 29.41 and you will use 298 KWh. Times that by $0.32 (what I pay in Australia) and it will cost you $95.36 per year to have it on stand by all year round. Considering that if you were to run a 'normal' class A amp for an hour a day it would use much, much more so I think it's not a bad deal.

I am a bit surprised about this though. I was under the impression that in Europe all equipment had to have a stand-by power of 1 Watt. I've done a Google search and it seems that not all appliances fall under that regulation yet. When something is networked (routers and the like; Devialet could fall into this category) the rules are a bit loose but they are working on that too. A screen that indicates something (not just a red or green light but an actual screen) also falls under a different rule. Maybe that's why you get the number of your Devialet on your screen when in stand-by.

I hope this calculation helps people understand the real cost of stand-by a bit more.

Maybe there is a confusion between standby consumption and idling consumption. Rufus on the Devialet-chassis-discolorations thread said that for his he measured: "8.5W standby, 28.5W idle or playing through line 1 or phono, 25.6W via AIR on Ethernet."

I also heard the standby power consumption for the D-Premier was supposed to be <5W.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Hi Phil,

I just read that too. I guess that's a question for Mka to answer... Mka, did you also measure idle? it would be interesting to see what the difference is. For electronics it's best to keep them in the same temperature range so if it's not too costly I would say keep em running 24/7
A bit more info; the 200/400 and 250/800 have the same power supply so they should run the same in stand-by. But because class A transistors always run a current I guess the 250/800 would ask for a bit more when idling. Not a lot more; Most current comes through the class D amp.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
It is 34watt in standby not in idle!
Then, taken into account the measurements by other people, that seem pretty weird.
(14-Jul-2014, 17:09)jjo Wrote: Then, taken into account the measurements by other people, that seem pretty weird.

They differ on the software version used.
As mentioned before, standby for my 200 (I measured it when it was a 170) was 8.5W and I think I saw someone else mention 8W? So 34W for 2 400W devices is probably about right I guess if standby consumption is proportional to output power - but should it be really? It does sound a bit high.