Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standby power consumption
(14-Jul-2014, 19:52)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Last year I bought 'Get better sound' by Jim smith.

Just checked this out on Amazon, it's over £80! Not much in high end hi fi terms, but a lot for a book! Is it worth the money?
You can get it direct from the get better sound site for a lot less (had a look, special on now)

The book is worth more than any money you spend on cables, racks, footers etc. Once you set up your system Jim's way it's like owning a whole new system. I also got the dvd but, although it gives some extra insight, it's not needed and Jim should have probably hired an actor to do his job. It also comes with Quarter notes; A quarterly email with some more tips. Some are quite handy, some are just him explaining the same thing again because people didn't understand the first time.

So my tip; Sell whatever tweaks you've bought and buy the book. Let me know how you went because I'm interested to see how bad other people have had their system set up (mine was very, very bad until I used Jim's tips)
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I found out the following: if I switch my 800 off with one long press on the power button it only goes to low power mode, still consuming lots of energy (but display is off). If I press the power button only for a short moment so that it goes to low power mode and then one longer press it really goes to sleep mode. The slave however is still in low power mode. After some time the master is nearly cold while the slave is still very warm.
That's interesting Vivialet. Also, the switch-off routine has confused me with the 170/200 and I found it quite difficult to actually switch it "off" (whatever state it's in) without it coming back on again! The 240/250 I auditioned seemed to work better in this respect. Having said that I've pretty much got the hang of it now. I find it easier to switch off from the front button than the remote too.
I also had the problem with the unwanted reboot, but only with the old 6.0.10 firmware. With 7.1 it behaves as I have described above. I guess it will be the same with a 200. A quick push on the front button opens the info screen...
Aaah, the newer firmware. Of course!
With the most recent firmware - what power consumption in standby to you get?
Using the trigger cable lowers power consumption, but it is still so high that I too turn them off with a power distributor.

I've measured the power consumption of every Devialet I've owned with a Kill-A-Watt meter: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Trigger-...8#pid91788
Actually, that's doesn't include the single ones:
* Devialet 200: 9W sleep, 16W standby, 28W idle
* Devialet 170: 5W sleep, 8.5W standby, 26W idle
For setup up the Niagara 5000 I would need the power consumption in standby of the 220 Pro.
In the Niagara manual it says:
--
The primary power amplifier(s) or powered receiver must have a power standby mode, and its current consumption at 230VAC in standby mode must not exceed 25 watts. (Although 1 watt isan industry standard for standby power, many great amplifiers routinely dismiss it for reasons of performance over power savings. Therefore, you should consult the specification sheet in your amplifier's user manual.)
--
I guess it's below 25 watts in standby but just wanted to get sure as there has been a change with the CI / Pro update I guess.