Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom dark grey colour founded
I founded this Phantom speaker in another colour, when I search for Devialet Phanton on google images. If its true, then I have regret, that I didn't wait, because I already got 2 Phantom Silver and this dark grey looks awesome.

[Image: 2015-Evian-8.jpg]
Sorry to thread-jack but I wish Devialet would offer a black anodized option on the Expert series. From Alcoa: "Surface emissivity limits the amount of heat transfer due to radiational cooling. With 1.0 being perfect, a black anodized body etched .002" to .003" into the aluminum surface is 0.85 efficient while unfinished is 0.05 and plated with a 4 mircon polished surface is .004." There's a reason most internal combustion engine's radiators and other dissipative surfaces are painted/anodized black. Even a black thin-coat painted alloy surface has over 30% more heat dissipative efficiency than an unfinished or any other 'painted' color alloy surface! A textured surface is dramatically more dissipative than a smooth or polished one if for no other reason than increased 'surface area.' S'why heatsinks have fins, pins, peaks & valleys with cooling channels between and aren't flat or polished.

Plating/polishing is the worst thing Devialet could've possibly done regarding heat dissipation on the Expert series with the possible exception of Plasti-Dip or wrapping a heating pad around it and plugging in set to 'hi" ;-)
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
If you are intrepid enough, find an auto shop and repaint. Just kidding of course.

MtnGuy
This looks like a regular white Silver shrouded in shadows.
(16-Jul-2015, 03:08)Manoet Wrote: Sorry to thread-jack but I wish Devialet would offer a black anodized option on the Expert series. From Alcoa: "Surface emissivity limits the amount of heat transfer due to radiational cooling. With 1.0 being perfect, a black anodized body etched .002" to .003" into the aluminum surface is 0.85 efficient while unfinished is 0.05 and plated with a 4 mircon polished surface is .004." There's a reason most internal combustion engine's radiators and other dissipative surfaces are painted/anodized black. Even a black thin-coat painted alloy surface has over 30% more heat dissipative efficiency than an unfinished or any other 'painted' color alloy surface! A textured surface is dramatically more dissipative than a smooth or polished one if for no other reason than increased 'surface area.' S'why heatsinks have fins, pins, peaks & valleys with cooling channels between and aren't flat or polished.

Plating/polishing is the worst thing Devialet could've possibly done regarding heat dissipation on the Expert series with the possible exception of Plasti-Dip or wrapping a heating pad around it and plugging in set to 'hi" ;-)

Heat transfer happens in 3 ways, conduction, convection and radiation.
If all the heat was lost by radiation you may be more or less correct, but for convection and conductive cooling the colour of the surface has no influence.

Most of the heat loss from an amp is by convection. It is not hot enough for radiation to be dominant. Even high power class-A only amps are not hot enough for radiant heat loss to be significant.

Who led you up the garden path with that tosh?
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

The picture is to be found on Devialet's Website: https://en.devialet.com/start-up/#evian/
Definitively silver phantoms (in the right shadow)
Color was an incidental mention listed in the Alcoa paper. Have a problem with it, take it up with them. Still struggling making an effort with big boy choices regarding personal attacks I see. Don't know why you insist on following me around like a puppy only to have your posts deleted due to lack of composure. Ever notice I never... even once respond to a single post of yours that isn't directed at me? Such a waste of bandwidth not to mention off-topic.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(16-Jul-2015, 13:39)Manoet Wrote: Color was an incidental mention listed in the Alcoa paper. Have a problem with it, take it up with them. Still struggling making an effort with big boy choices regarding personal attacks I see. Don't know why you insist on following me around like a puppy only to have your posts deleted due to lack of composure. Ever notice I never... even once respond to a single post of yours that isn't directed at me? Such a waste of bandwidth not to mention off-topic.

Alcoa are correct, but they are referring to radiant cooling.
Radiation loss is not a significant cooling method in amplifiers.
I only am responding to an erroneous post so other non-technical people are not misled.

If you feel victimised it will be because you are the only person on this forum I have come across so far who makes technically incorrect statements.

I would not have made a comment if your post had not contained misleading information.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Ok, show me where I even mentioned the word 'radiation' even once. Alcoa did but only as radiant cooling. Only term I used repeatedly was "emissive/dissipative." Now would you have us believe amplifers CNC'd from alloy are non-emissive/dissipative in any heat-shedding way!?! You're trying too hard and for the life of me I can't understand why. None of what I said is wrong yet you're determined to change it around to suit your contrary/combative needs. If you insist on quoting me or my intentions then please have the courtesy of making it something I said or inferred and not what you wish I said/inferred.

At this point I must again insist this, like high-end cables, has become a topic I'll no longer debate with you. Primary reason being you've virtually insured its all going to be moderated into oblivion anyway... and rightly so!! Additionally I don't believe this forum needs you to save them from me. They're big boys, they can handle it.
(16-Jul-2015, 14:26)Manoet Wrote: Ok, show me where I even mentioned the word 'radiation' even once. Alcoa did but only as radiant cooling. Only term I used repeatedly was "emissive/dissipative." Now would you have us believe amplifers CNC'd from alloy are non-emissive/dissipative in any heat-shedding way!?! You're trying too hard and for the life of me I can't understand why. None of what I said is wrong yet you're determined to change it around to suit your contrary/combative needs. If you insist on quoting me or my intentions then please have the courtesy of making it something I said or inferred and not what you wish I said/inferred.

At this point I must again insist this, like high-end cables, has become a topic I'll no longer debate with you. Primary reason being you've virtually insured its all going to be moderated into extinction anyway.

You don't understand things technical, but you think you do. To avoid you irritating me any more I am putting you on my ignore list.
Bye.
Oxfordshire