Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming users... a suggestion...
(16-Jul-2014, 22:49)Confused Wrote: Just so I'm clear here, all of my music is on a 1tb external hard drive. I like to keep my music files separate from all the other Windows nonsense that my PC's internal drive is subjected to. I do have a back up copy on the PC's internal drive (just in case), as well as a second back up on another 1tb external (just in case again).

So to do this test am I correct in thinking that I need to try WAV / FLAC from the internal drive, then again WAV / FLAC from the external drive? Perhaps I've missed the point here!

You are correct.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I know that some Squeezebox optimization guides say that if you have flac files on your NAS, you would get better sound if you have the SB server on the NAS transcode flac files to wav before sending it over the wire to the SBT/ transporter. The idea seems to be to lower the CPU load on the player, which again may impact noise, presumably by creating less varying load on the PSU. I did try it myself, but couldn't say that I heard any difference though.

I guess this is along the same idea of making your PC/ MAC perform better by disabling services that you do not need for a "audio playback server".
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
Yes Borgen.

My experience is, disabling unnecessary services, playing Wav instead of FLAC, and using an external disk, is much more than just a nice to have. I was positively surprised on the improvements, normally I would associate with swapping a crappy cable with a very high end one... At least on my system.

I am using ComputerAudioDesign scripts on the dedicated MacMini I have... Similar results to Audiophile Optimiser for Windows Server. This of course is "use it on your own risk" category. Your many software and peripherals can become unusable... so watch out.

http://www.computeraudiodesign.com/osx-a...imization/

Also, if you use Wireless AIR, it is a good idea to "restart" your wireless access point (in my case an Airport Extreme, the new version) just at the start of your listening session...

By the way, instead of a USB drive, creating a temporary RAM Disk, copying your files there before playback, and then playing from there is also a very good option...

For Mac users,
http://bogner.sh/wp-content/uploads/2012...tor1.4.zip

I still prefer WAV over FLAC in this case.

Disclaimer: Take these as mere suggestions, rather than declarations, from a fellow audiophile. I know, I am and engineer myself so wrapping my head around some of these (FLAC and WAV are basically the same data, cables should not make a difference, especially on digital, etc) is quite difficult. I thought they were nonsense as well... Until I tried. And most are free to try.

Cheers...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey