Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Air (OS X) Problem, what problem?
I have read countless folks complaining about Devialet AIR, I'm surprised because I have been using AIR 2.1.3 for the last couple of months with a MacBook Pro Yosemite without virtually any single drop! It work so seamlessly that I have "cut the cord" and sold my expensive USB cable.

Devialet 120 /Ethernet cable with a dedicated apple express.

Devialet AIR 2.1.3
Buffer 1000ms

MacBook Pro
Yosemite / iTune
Lucky you that you have never experienced any white noises before. Keep it that way, I hope. May I ask what type of music (bitrates wise) are you playing; ie. 16/44.1, 24/96 or 24/192?
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

A dedicated WLAN (Express) is awkward, you have to switch between the networks if you want to use your devices also for browsing. Anyway, I have had the same problems with a dedicated Express.
I had abandoned Air for OSX at 7.1.1 since it was a pain - far too many stops. Unusable with hires, would still start failing after 20 min with 16/44

Two weeks ago, I tested again Ethernet with 8.1.2. Same system, but now not a hiccup - even with 24/192. And much better sound that USB! It is now my preferred source. Pity that I can't use it with DSD

Current: Mac mini- iTunes -> Ethernet cat7 (no brand) -> D200
Before: Mac mini - audirvana+ -> mapleshade USB -> D200
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable

didn't experience any white noise at all I'm I'm playing 16/44 and up to 24/192
however I do suffer from sample rate changes.. I have a few files of music that vary from high to low resolution and every time the music switches between resolutions, I experience playback issues. the music speed incorrectly plays back too fast or too slow as I change from low to high resolution files - it doesn't compensate the speed correctly to the resolution. in order to fix it I need to turn off the air app, switch source, stop the music playback, turn back on the app, and then switch the source and start the playback again.
system is
MacBook Pro
jriver
air 2.1.3 set to bit perfect
original Devialet ( I don't have sub or Ethernet input)
any thoughts ?
(16-Jul-2015, 06:52)hk6230 Wrote: Lucky you that you have never experienced any white noises before. Keep it that way, I hope. May I ask what type of music (bitrates wise) are you playing; ie. 16/44.1, 24/96 or 24/192?

I would say I'm listening 50% of 24/96, 10% 24/192 and 40% of redbook.
(16-Jul-2015, 07:31)midi Wrote: A dedicated WLAN (Express)  is awkward, you have to switch between the networks if you want to use your devices also for browsing. Anyway, I have had the same problems with a dedicated Express.

I have 3 apple airport devices all aggregated together, so I don't need to change network for internet, wireless printing, or using the Devialet.
(16-Jul-2015, 08:28)Divasson Wrote: I had abandoned Air for OSX at 7.1.1 since it was a pain - far too many stops. Unusable with hires, would still start failing after 20 min with 16/44

Two weeks ago, I tested again Ethernet with 8.1.2. Same system, but now not a hiccup - even with 24/192. And much better sound that USB! It is now my preferred source. Pity that I can't use it with DSD

Current: Mac mini- iTunes -> Ethernet cat7 (no brand) -> D200
Before: Mac mini - audirvana+ -> mapleshade USB -> D200

Looks like your are not missing much with DSD vs PCM:

http://www.ayre.com/insights_dsdvspcm.htm
(30-Jul-2015, 06:10)BestAlexEver Wrote:
(16-Jul-2015, 07:31)midi Wrote: A dedicated WLAN (Express)  is awkward, you have to switch between the networks if you want to use your devices also for browsing. Anyway, I have had the same problems with a dedicated Express.

I have 3 apple airport devices all aggregated together, so I don't need to change network for internet, wireless printing, or using the Devialet.

"Aggregated together" - what do you mean ? If using only one Mac you need to switch between the networks or do you mean you´re using only one network-name for all networks ?
With my d1 server back in France for an upgrade I have been experimenting with Roon, AIR etc.

Last night I tried Audirvana with AIR. 

I'm using a 13 inch Macbook Air (1.3 GHz Intel Core i5) running OS X Yosemite (10.10.4). Audirvana Plus is version 1.5.12. AIR is 2.1.3

Devialet firmware is 8.1.3 beta. Music files were copied over from my NAS.

At first it sounded awful. Figured something was definitely wrong so checked Audirvana Plus settings. For some reason it was outputting to Dirac! So I changed this to AIR. I also selected Direct Mode.

It now sounded better. I managed to listen to about 4 tracks before the DWN (Dreaded White Noise) arrived! There were also a couple of little pops first as if almost to announce the imminent arrival of DWN.

After this I turned the system off and went to bed.  Sad

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK